Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 07:16 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,105,600 times

Advertisements

I think that most rich people are just rich.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:41 AM

767 posts, read 2,068,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Some friends were huddled up with me under our communal bridge the other day and we were talking about the upperclass (rich people). One of them used to work for a large multi-national banking service and has got harsher in his tone about the wealthy as he has experienced more of the so called entitled people. He says, "It almost makes you want to vote Democrat."

The general feeling of our group was that 90% of the upper class (rich people) are a combination of thieves, liars or elitists. It was mostly their fault not society's. 20-30 years ago one could be a thieving liar and elitist because there were plenty of jobs in banking/corporate which were grossly unregulated and pretty much a free for all, today, if you don't start behaving honourably there's a really good chance you'll get caught out and prosecuted for screwing everybody else out of their money. Agree?
Or maybe just a little smarter than most people?

Old 06-25-2009, 07:48 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,104,813 times
Most rich people are lucky. More than any other single factor, luck has more to do with wealth than anything else. Lucky to have been born to responsible parents, lucky to be born where there were good schools, lucky the dog never ate your homework, lucky to have had good role models, lucky to have gotten into the right fraternity, lucky to have not disabled yourself in a car crash while binge drinking, lucky not to have been bled dry by a cheerleader you knocked up, lucky you never bought a lemon that threw you into a debt spiral, lucky to have needed to buy and sell your house at propitious times in the market, lucky to have walked in a door at the right time, lucky to have missed being agent-oranged in Nam, lucky that you have no debilitating chronic conditions or genetic defects, the list could go on and on. Incorrigible anecdotalists will reply and say "Not me, I went to bad schools, and still got rich", but overall, if you are better off than most people, it is because you have had better luck than most people. Few, if any, of these things have derailed you.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-25-2009 at 07:57 AM..

Old 06-25-2009, 08:04 AM

767 posts, read 2,068,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Most rich people are lucky. More than any other single factor, luck has more to do with wealth than anything else. Lucky to have been born to responsible parents, lucky to be born where there were good schools, lucky the dog never ate your homework, lucky to have had good role models, lucky to have gotten into the right fraternity, lucky to have not disabled yourself in a car crash while binge drinking, lucky not to have been bled dry by a cheerleader you knocked up, lucky you never bought a lemon that threw you into a debt spiral, lucky to have needed to buy and sell your house at propitious times in the market, lucky to have walked in a door at the right time, lucky to have missed being agent-oranged in Nam, lucky that you have no debilitating chronic conditions or genetic defects, the list could go on and on. Incorrigible anecdotalists will reply and say "Not me, I went to bad schools, and still got rich", but overall, if you are better off than most people, it is because you have had better luck than most people. Few, if any, of these things have derailed you.
You make some very good points. Luck IS an important determinate of wealth. No doubt.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:07 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,259,456 times
Quote:
"but overall, if you are better off than most people, it is because you have had better luck than most people."

Or it could have been because they worked harder than other people...

I have at least three in my family and I know they worked for it...

I should have followed them...LOL

Old 06-25-2009, 08:25 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,814,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Some friends were huddled up with me under our communal bridge the other day and we were talking about the upperclass (rich people). One of them used to work for a large multi-national banking service and has got harsher in his tone about the wealthy as he has experienced more of the so called entitled people. He says, "It almost makes you want to vote Democrat."

The general feeling of our group was that 90% of the upper class (rich people) are a combination of thieves, liars or elitists. It was mostly their fault not society's. 20-30 years ago one could be a thieving liar and elitist because there were plenty of jobs in banking/corporate which were grossly unregulated and pretty much a free for all, today, if you don't start behaving honourably there's a really good chance you'll get caught out and prosecuted for screwing everybody else out of their money. Agree?
Totally false. The distribution of @sseholes is uniform across socio-economic lines. No matter how much or how little you achieve in life, you are always going to be surrounded by @sseholes, it's just that the rich @sseholes really get under your skin because they have more than you in spite of being an @ssehole. Know who the people you can trust are and hang on to them at all costs. Also, make sure that YOU aren't one of the @sseholes.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
I agree with this. High performance yields affluence and financial security but the only thing that really yields wealth is a generous helping of luck.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:31 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,104,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
"but overall, if you are better off than most people, it is because you have had better luck than most people."

Or it could have been because they worked harder than other people...

I have at least three in my family and I know they worked for it...

I should have followed them...LOL
It will be 97 today, and across the street, I see some guys putting a new roof on a building. They will work hard. Not just today, they will work hard every day, and always have. They will never get rich. They haven't had much good luck in their lives.

I have never known a person who got rich through hard work. I have known some lucky enough to be in a position where hard work can make you richer than others in a similar position. Without good luck, hard work is limited to putting roofs on buildings when it's 97 degrees.

Luck puts you in a range of potential. Within that range, hard work adjusts where you will fall within that scale.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-25-2009 at 08:40 AM..

Old 06-25-2009, 08:34 AM

25,953 posts, read 18,946,695 times
I was going to ask if there is anyone on this forum who is not a member of the 'Polar Opposite' club. But... I get it. Very clever. And this thread is much more entertaining (reading the posts of those who didn't... get it) than the other one. Keep defending yourselves all you little Marie Antoinettes. Quite entertaining.

In fact, let me do some ridiculous generalization and stereotyping like most all of you did on the other thread: Is it true that most wealth is inherited by lazy, binge-drinking frat morons in this nation (as opposed to 'working hard')? A hod carrier, roofer, or asphalt layer works harder than 99% of you. Will he be the next Oprah or Donald Trump?

Old 06-25-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I was going to ask if there is anyone on this forum who is not a member of the 'Polar Opposite' club. But... I get it. Very clever. And this thread is much more entertaining (reading the posts of those who didn't... get it) than the other one. Keep defending yourselves all you little Marie Antoinettes. Quite entertaining.

In fact, let me do some ridiculous generalization and stereotyping like most all of you did on the other thread: Is it true that most wealth is inherited by lazy, binge-drinking frat morons in this nation (as opposed to 'working hard')? A hod carrier, roofer, or asphalt layer works harder than 99% of you. Will he be the next Oprah or Donald Trump?
Why don't you go have some cake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates