Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 09:15 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,044,731 times

Advertisements

I agree 100%. We might not have nobility or royalty like in other nations but I think we have a corporatetocracy. The CEO's, wall street executives and the like sure seem to be above the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I agree with the first part of this. At the very highest echelon, there's Gates, Trump, Forbes, etc. who could show some concern for the mass exodus of first world capital and resources being paired with third world labor, which will eventually help destroy Western Civilization. Even internally, there's virtually no consternation for mass immigration into the U.S., robbing the middle and working classes of every job from food preparation to software engineering. The upper class simply cares about enriching themselves, hence the utter silence from them regarding the economic pain caused by the insourcing and outsourcing of jobs for the middle and working classes of Western Civilization.

And, there's really no reason for them to change their behavior, since just about every one of these traitors is living better than ever -- and why should they not...they're the ones who make the laws.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:24 AM

25,737 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Why don't you go have some cake?
Sorry. Can't afford cake.

Could you buy it for me? Or perhaps we could use some tax dollars for it. My favorite is Chocolate. Maybe we could have cake and ice cream together? Seven-ish?

Old 06-25-2009, 09:27 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
But remember, if there were no rich people, who would provide jobs for those who are not, including those of you who are bitter because you can't make it? Or are you all on some sort of welfare or government payroll?

Old 06-25-2009, 09:28 AM

25,737 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Or are you all on some sort of welfare or government payroll?
Yep. Every last one of us.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:41 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
S He says, "It almost makes you want to vote Democrat."

You need to tell your friend that wanting to vote Democrat will classify him as a low-IQ dullard.

As for your question, no, thieves and liars are usually democrats. True, there are a lot of rich democrats, so there may be SOME commonality between wealth and poor character. Mostly, though, poor character is primarily manifested by one's inability to be conscious of personal responsibility; which is a basic tenet of freedom and individuality.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:42 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yep. Every last one of us.
No doubt.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:00 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
As the original question is put, I must answer true.

Since every human on the planet is at some level a theif, a liar, and an elitist, the rich are of course all of these along with everyone else.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:29 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I think rich people are human & do what they can get away with. But theres thieves, liars & elitists in all segments of society.

Its easy to blame the rich, but if you didn't entrust them with your money they couldn't steal it.

Its ironic in a way, as long as those rich guys were doing their thing & it made us money we were fine with it. Now that they screwed up everyones pointing fingers. Paper investments are risky at best & I was never smart enough to understand the convolutedness of it all.
So I put my money in a bank & bought real estate. Not alot, I'm not rich, but come hell or high water my house is mine & my acreage is mine. And while it may be worth less this year than 2 years ago it still does what I bought it for & it will still be there for my heirs.
If you want to invest & be part of the big money making schemes you need to be prepared to take the good with the bad. Did anyone really believe that those in position to do so wouldn't grab theirs & run when the house of cards fell?

Globalization is only going to make it worse & thats where we are headed if we keep electing people like Bush, Obama, Pelosi & Clinton. If you like what you have & would like to have a secure future vote out the libs of both parties & get a real conservative in the big seats.
I agree with this 100%. Look at how many poorer people lie/cheat/steal/con their whole lives. A lack of morality is not based on wealth. The OP also shows a very naieve view. Did anyone care when the 'rich' were allowing all of us to buy houses with no down payment? The simple fact is no one cares what the wealthy do unless it negatively affects them personally. If someone makes an investment, if they get a good return they won't complain that the wealthy financial wizard was cheating. Now, if that guy lost their money, the wealthy are the scum of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It will be 97 today, and across the street, I see some guys putting a new roof on a building. They will work hard. Not just today, they will work hard every day, and always have. They will never get rich. They haven't had much good luck in their lives.

I have never known a person who got rich through hard work. I have known some lucky enough to be in a position where hard work can make you richer than others in a similar position. Without good luck, hard work is limited to putting roofs on buildings when it's 97 degrees.

Luck puts you in a range of potential. Within that range, hard work adjusts where you will fall within that scale.

I think it is not just about hard work, but about the right kind of hard work. If I am a janitor and work hard every day, there is only so far I can go. Hard work is not rewarded with a long line of promotions. If I am doing simple data entry for a fortune 500 company, the opportunities for advancement are endless. Don't just work hard, work hard at a job where there is a chance at becoming wealthy.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:35 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
But remember, if there were no rich people, who would provide jobs for those who are not, including those of you who are bitter because you can't make it? Or are you all on some sort of welfare or government payroll?
There are actually quite a number of "poor people" that can provide jobs to others. It's a service economy, after all.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:36 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
"but overall, if you are better off than most people, it is because you have had better luck than most people."

Or it could have been because they worked harder than other people...

I have at least three in my family and I know they worked for it...

I should have followed them...LOL
Or because daddy had money before he died...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates