Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 12:30 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Your friend would have gotten a visit from the police if he harassed me in that manner.
He was never asked to stop calling, so no harassment. He was very clear that as soon as he was asked to stop calling he would have. Persistance is something that is greatly admired among successful business people. I am just saying it works. It took me a year and a half to get the job I have now. I was turned down when I applied, I stayed in contact with the HR manager and eventually go the job.

Look - it doesn't matter if you like it or not, this works. You are arguing against a real-life success story, which makes no sense.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:44 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
He was never asked to stop calling, so no harassment. He was very clear that as soon as he was asked to stop calling he would have. Persistance is something that is greatly admired among successful business people. I am just saying it works. It took me a year and a half to get the job I have now. I was turned down when I applied, I stayed in contact with the HR manager and eventually go the job.

Look - it doesn't matter if you like it or not, this works. You are arguing against a real-life success story, which makes no sense.
This worked in this specific instance. Not always.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:51 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
Most of the wealthy people that I know are very nice people. The worst people to deal with are in the upper-middle class. The have just enough money to be dangerous and a debt load to match.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:00 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Some friends were huddled up with me under our communal bridge the other day and we were talking about the upperclass (rich people). One of them used to work for a large multi-national banking service and has got harsher in his tone about the wealthy as he has experienced more of the so called entitled people. He says, "It almost makes you want to vote Democrat."

The general feeling of our group was that 90% of the upper class (rich people) are a combination of thieves, liars or elitists. It was mostly their fault not society's. 20-30 years ago one could be a thieving liar and elitist because there were plenty of jobs in banking/corporate which were grossly unregulated and pretty much a free for all, today, if you don't start behaving honourably there's a really good chance you'll get caught out and prosecuted for screwing everybody else out of their money. Agree?
WOW, this sounds vaguely familiar, your not related to WT are you?

Old 06-25-2009, 01:16 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Damn those rich lying thieves. I new I should've voted democrat.
Is there anymore room under that communal bridge? I have a few boxes and blankets I can bring?

Last edited by virgode; 06-25-2009 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: homeless people can't spell

Old 06-25-2009, 01:20 PM

613 posts, read 1,270,248 times
Most people are thieves, liars, or want to be elitists. Some just get lucky I guess.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:43 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Humanity is the same in good or evil at every level in society, skin color, and every location.

It's just easy to make those who have material success and power into villains. Feelings of frustration, persecution, and jealousy often rear their heads when I have seen it...some legitimate and some not, nothing is that easy that all rich people or those in power are "evil" because many are just seeing the action. I know from my angle I am often not the one in power, but I stand next to those who make vast decisions (you always keep the money counter close) and see the process from start to finish. Some people are certainly A-holes, most in my experience have been great people who do their best.

You see the most outspoken in thinking this way are the ones that are jealous of the success they wanted, or frustrated in their attempts to get, in the material goods or contentment in what they do. I wouldn't consider myself very successful, but I've often gotten snide and hateful remarks from people I did know who are not happy where they are (if people are they don't really care no matter how they are doing). I've often had people dislike me because I'm the one who models the decisions people can make, including decisions to cut units and layoffs. I understand it, I don't like doing it, but often it's the best of the decisions that we must make or everyone looses their jobs and the company goes under.

The thing I have noticed is that those who feel successful in what they do, by any measure of personal success (not just material), tend to be more positive and more internally focused (where you are the determiner of your fate, not some outside entity) then those who are not. Those who are tend to be more flexible as well, X problem has many adaptable solutions instead of just1.

Last edited by subsound; 06-25-2009 at 02:53 PM..

Old 06-25-2009, 02:56 PM

897 posts, read 2,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
Most people are thieves, liars, or want to be elitists. Some just get lucky I guess.
Must agree.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:07 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Your friend would have gotten a visit from the police if he harassed me in that manner.
Not if you didn't reply. Legally, there is no enforcible harrassment unless the harrassee communicates a wish to be left alone to the harrasser.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:03 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
There are actually quite a number of "poor people" that can provide jobs to others. It's a service economy, after all.

When poor people start putting up the capital to hire others, they are no longer the poor. They become entrepeneurs, capitalists, bosses, and compared to the workers, they become the rich. Immigrants from poor countries seem to instinctively understand this. Why can't so many Americans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates