Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 07:47 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
As America becomes more Hispanic and brown many of the traditional national past times have seen a decrease in attendance and participation. These include:

Baseball
Golf
NASCAR
Hockey
Rock and Roll
Ballet
Plays
Musicals
Broadway Shows
National Parks
Camping, fishing, Hunting
Tennis
Bowling
Cruising

If you research these traditional pastimes you will find they are basically "white" dominated activities (yes with some small level Hispanic Participation). As our country turns more brown, these activities will continue to lose popularity.
I'm completely Caucasian...and the only one of those I like is rock and roll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 08:43 PM

455 posts, read 1,018,515 times
Quote:
As America becomes more Hispanic and brown many of the traditional national past times have seen a decrease in attendance and participation. These include:

Baseball
Golf
NASCAR
Hockey
Rock and Roll
Ballet
Plays
Musicals
Broadway Shows
National Parks
Tennis
Bowling
Cruising

If you research these traditional pastimes you will find they are basically "white" dominated activities (yes with some small level Hispanic Participation). As our country turns more brown, these activities will continue to lose popularity.
A lot of these are hardly strictly "American" pastimes. I say good riddance to Baseball, Golf, NASCAR, and Hunting. As a young white male, I do not find these activities interesting in the least bit.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:04 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
Quote:
Some may participate but few will watch professional sports, or the other activities I mentioned in my original posting. These are white bred activities.
That is so completely out of touch with the reality. As others have pointed out through multiple concrete examples, most of the things you have listed are not "white bred activities."

I agree that the specific interests of Americans will change over time, but don't necessarily agree that it will be a result of ethnicdemographic shifts - although you're not even talking ethnic background, just skin color. I can tell you for a fact that my skin color (and that of most of my white friends and family members) hasn't somehow translated for a love of hockey, fishing, hunting, NASCAR, cruising (?!?), etc.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:15 AM

943 posts, read 3,161,112 times
I again state that these activities have traditionally been very popular in America but are losing popularity because they have a 98 percent white audience. As the number of white people in America continues to "free fall" there will be a continuing loss of interest in these previously popular American Pastimes.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:26 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,300,328 times
Quote:

Baseball
Golf
NASCAR
Hockey
Rock and Roll
Ballet
Plays
Musicals
Broadway Shows
National Parks
Tennis
Bowling
Cruising

I'm sure when I read through the rest of the posts I'll find other comments on this but ...

Baseball????? White dominated???? You've got to be kidding right? Latin America is Baseball crazy, my friend!!!!

- Reel

Old 06-29-2009, 04:27 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
I think golf is actually way increasing in popularity. More women are getting into it than I ever saw growing up.

Good music seems to be being produced with less frequency...but that may be a byproduct of getting old.

We could barely get a reservation to camp at a particular national park this summer.

Bowling alley near where I live is almost always hopping.

Most of the people I see at plays/musicals are white, all right...WHITE HAIR.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:51 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,343,835 times
Will rapid demographic changes kill many American Pastimes?

No

Baseball - Heck no
Golf - Heck no X2
NASCAR - I've never watched it. No opinion.
Hockey - I wouldn't consider this sport an "American Pastime", and I live in MN
Rock and Roll - Not going anywhere. It's evolves every year.
Ballet - American Pastime?
Plays - American Pastime?
Musicals - American Pastime?
Broadway Shows - American Pastime?
National Parks - Not going anywhere.
Camping, fishing, Hunting - Will always be huge.
Tennis - Very popular where I live
Bowling - Not a bowler, but it's cheap entertainment.
Cruising - ? This can be taken two ways.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:00 AM

174 posts, read 570,496 times
I should care about this why?

Pastimes come and go. Always have, always will. Cockfighting used to be quite popular in the US (George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were fans) and was still legal in a few states up until a couple of years ago. But blood sports involving animals have fallen out of favor (bullfighting is down worldwide as well).

Old 06-29-2009, 08:06 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Can I see the link that says their popularity has declined? Are people playing them less or watching them less in person? For example, are TV ratings down for baseball or is attendance at stadiums down for baseball, are Little Leagues on the decline or is it hard for scouts to find baseball players?

Old 06-29-2009, 08:13 AM

174 posts, read 570,496 times
Yeah, baseball has been declining for years and years. World Series Television Ratings Breakdown CNNSI.com - Baseball - Major league attendance down 6.1 percent - Tuesday October 01, 2002 12:09 AM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates