Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 03:23 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
"don't trust anyone over 30",

That was Jerry Rubin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 05:31 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,031,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
The Beatles, IMO, didn't have the greatest voices in the world but they did at times do some fairly interesting things.

Like "Eleanor Rigby" intrigues me. It's a pop/rock song with violins, granted maybe not that odd, but it's about people who are elderly and alone. And it's not mocking them. Considering this was the "don't trust anyone over 30", Lennon himself being the one who I think said that, I find that interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
That was Jerry Rubin.
I think Rubin popularized it, Jack Weinberg first coined it.
Funny to see stuff from when I was a teenybopper already being misquoted.
Jack Weinberg turns 60
Weinberg says he made the statement primarily to get rid of a reporter who was bothering him. He doesn’t even regard the statement as the most important thing he’s ever said.
“I was being interviewed by a newspaper reporter and he kept asking me who was ‘really’ behind the actions of students, implying that we were being directed behind the scenes by the Communists or some other sinister group,” Weinberg recalled.

“I told him we had a saying in the movement that we don’t trust anybody over 30. It was a way of telling the guy to back off, that nobody was pulling our strings.”

Old 07-07-2009, 06:02 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times
You learn something new every day.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:30 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,402,036 times
Jerry Rubin, who sold some kind of stuff in a multi-level marketing thing, became a life coach or stockbroker or some such, and got hit and killed by a car?

Old 07-07-2009, 09:57 PM

18,220 posts, read 25,865,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I think Rubin popularized it, Jack Weinberg first coined it.
Funny to see stuff from when I was a teenybopper already being misquoted.
Jack Weinberg turns 60
Weinberg says he made the statement primarily to get rid of a reporter who was bothering him. He doesn’t even regard the statement as the most important thing he’s ever said.
“I was being interviewed by a newspaper reporter and he kept asking me who was ‘really’ behind the actions of students, implying that we were being directed behind the scenes by the Communists or some other sinister group,” Weinberg recalled.

“I told him we had a saying in the movement that we don’t trust anybody over 30. It was a way of telling the guy to back off, that nobody was pulling our strings.”
I used this comment in another forum, and it's gonna get used here, and BWP has been used to my goofy posts for many moons-"She shoots, she scores! Nothing but net!"

Old 07-07-2009, 10:50 PM
pba

410 posts, read 917,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Seriously, you've been read over 6 million times...are you on this forum all day, every day? That's amazing.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:23 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
Well, I grew up in the 60's but all Woodstock, and the Hippie Era, meant to me was great music, some interesting cool bright clothes, and incense. I simply could not get into drugs, free love (sex), communal living, and the "idealism" of getting by without working. I didn't give diddly-squat about the likes of Jerry Rubin and Abie Hoffman.

It didn't take long at all for the idealists (and I do view the 'hippie utopia' of the time as idealists) to realize that you have to work for a living. Many returned to conventional lives while others re-settled into, even established, new communities in various places.

Vegetarianism has made a lot of efforts in 40 years and there are certainly more vegetarians and vegans now than ever. But you can't cram this down people's throats (pun intended). I, for one, do not like enough vegetables to get by on that type of diet, nor do I think it's suiting for everyone.

Racial equality? It created more social consciousness, but not a lot. This issue is a perpetual progress, if slow. An over-populating world certainly adds more strain.

What I definitely do accredit the Hippie Era for is the change in family values. They are the ones who made the role of daddies more involved in child-raising ~ change a few diapers, care for them, increase quality time with them.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:15 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

The boomers are the sons and daughters of the generation who survived a massive depression and a hidious world war. They wanted to come home, get a family, settle down and raise their children in peace. They also wanted to give their kids what they had been denied. They didn't buy what they couldn't afford, but they bought and provided for their kids well, and protected them from the ugly reality of the McCarthy times and tried to shiled them from the Bomb, but nothing could do that.

My generations lost childhood early. Kennedy died when I was ten. I never saw the world the same again. The ugly raw combat footage on the six oclock news was known to the fathers, and perhaps the mothers. To the kids it was horrifying but horror fades and turns into acceptance.

It was not a debate, nor a discussion. It was a war. There was nothing resemblng a neutral. Families split, chidren left parents, and both sides were absolutely convinced with an angry certainty that they were right. The open violence on the tv desensitized us and we were not horrified by riots and blood anymore.

Its been commentated that the boomers started the consumer society. But their parents, who wanted a security they had never had, raised their kids to expect to recieve what they wanted. Some went down and never went back, but those who went on to be the yuppies and movers and shakers were taught that material things were important and it was good to impress your neighbor. It is no generations fault. It is just the way we pass values and fears to the next generation and how it has always been. Right now, if things go as some think they will, out current generation of kids are on the crux of the next change of direction.
All true, our parents where often fearful, they had gone without and as you say lived through an awful World War. There was no such thing as too much food in the house or money in the bank. Children of these parents had thier own war flown in by helicopter to their TV sets uncut and unvarnished. I bunked in the same room with my brother, none of our friends had their own room. Air conditioning?....I don't think so. A shower every day?....Nope. Landscapers?....Guess who...

Don't forget Air Raid drills in Kindergarten and Grade School. No wonder many just wanted to put the world aside for a time, simplify and go native.

I for one am handling the recession quite well, no need to let the landscaper and cook go, sell the McMansion and downsize or trade the BMW for a Ford....

Old 07-08-2009, 06:51 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,837,802 times
AMEN to the above. My parents were born in '29 and 32 respectively. I was born in '57, so I was 12 when Woodstock was happening. I was the last of the so called boomers. My father came home from the Korean skirmish and worked to raise our family. He and my mother made in the 60's together $60 a week, she at a blue jean factory in E. Texas and him at a furniture plant in Crockett, TX. raised us 5 kids, never had a lot, but never went without. Had a farm, a truck, couple cows, TV, black and white got one channel, didn't have running water, but you know what, I ain't ashamed of who I am, or my parents. Im proud of every minute they were alive. So thanks for bringing back the memories. The squandering of today and the stupid X or Y, hell, you are nothing more than the sons or daughters of those people from the 60's and 70's. If it weren't for some of them, a lot of you wouldn't be here. Don't take life and its' twists and turns for granted. One missed turn and evolution makes a whole different kind of dinosaur. We can all say it wouldn't matter, but there were a lot of Vietnam Vets at Woodstock that were happy to be there. If you go to the Woodstock site you can read where a lot of Vets say that that is the only place where people accepted them and let them relax to forgive themselves for the atrocities that they had to partake in while they were over there. A lot got hooked on drugs in Vietnam, they came back and came to Woodstock, met up with some good people, and got straight, some didn't, but a lot did. So preach all you want, but only 3 people died, One of them, a Marine on leave, (Two people that died were of heroin overdose, the marine and one other) the other person that died was from a ruptured appendix after being run over by a tractor ) out of half a million that gathered, pretty damn good number for that big of a crowd. So, the war doesn't make it any better, soldiers were there, and died, also enjoyed the music, the drugs, the sex, as well as the hippies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates