Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 08:03 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I've heard people say Obama "isn't really black", some hunters from Long Island, or that he's "biracial" but I don't think I've seen anyone say he's white.

This is more of a question than a rebuttal or accusation. Does tropolis have someone in mind as saying Obama's white? I wouldn't be shocked if there is such a person, I've seen some really stupid/offensive people in my day, but I'd sort-of like an example.
Read it on the internet all the time. Regular comments like he doesn't belong to YOU, he's more white then he is black.

Also see 44th white president. Lot of posts denying he is black period, have no idea how they are that stupid.

Even people at White pride sites like Stormfront say the only reason why he can talk is because he has white genes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 08:08 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
. As far as the comments about white people's discomfort around Blacks, that's their [the white folks] fault.

However, one thing that bothers me is the extrodinary amount of self-hatred and insecurity displayed by many blacks.
It seems that there is a contradiction here. Is it the fault of white people that they feel discomfort around someone displaying self-hatred and insecurity?

Old 07-09-2009, 08:15 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times
how do you know if someone has self-hatred?

i always thought that was a dumb argument.

do white people who cut themselves and disfigure themselves have self-hatred or is it just black people?

Old 07-09-2009, 08:27 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
What I see is that when a black is successful, the rest of the black population becomes very territorial over them. Look at what Jamie Foxx was saying about MJ? That he was theirs and the black community generously "shared him" with the rest of us. Riiight, like they actually owned MJ. And they didn't seem all that fond of ole MJ and his eccentric habits and doings until he died.

So, as with Obama, the better he was doing on his presidential campaign, the more the blacks voiced their black pride over him. And I feel that it was their actions that caused non-blacks to want to point out that Obama was half white and half Kenyan, not a typical African American from slave roots and not growing up like a typical African American in a poor inner city neighborhood. With Tiger Woods, blacks love to claim him, but maybe the Asians would also like to claim him also since his mom is Thai.

Only in America, and then it's old school America, that there's a one drop rule. Other countries, like the ones in South America and Europe deal in fractions when discussing people's mixed heritages. And Obama has referred to himself as a "mutt" which indicates to me that he doesn't consider himself full blooded black.

But plenty of other cultures and nationalities have strong streaks of pride for their successful members. So whatever. Shrug.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:27 AM

937 posts, read 2,834,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
if you don't care, don't respond to it. can you comprehend that?

Like I said in my other thread, I'm done wasting time with you. You are a white supremacist, a jealous 18 year old who can't find a girl, and an annoying troll. Only some 18 year old pimply faced white kid posts on a forum asking for advice to get a girl. And only is one, jealous like you, stupid enough to waste time over meaningless issues such as interracial relationships.
Again, here you go spouting off crap you don't know. First I was 19, now Im 18, and now Im a pimply faced white kid. Oh, and I can't get a girlfriend. Sound about right? Just checking, because last time I was aware, I was 23, had a beautiful girlfriend. Do you feel better making up stories like a comic book about other posters on this forum to make yourself look better?

Old 07-09-2009, 08:28 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
OK Ill give you an example,this may help you understand where im coming from.

I've had many people say to me: you don't act black, or I don't see you as black. Therebis no mistaking me for bi-racial vWhy would people be compelled to say that? because I have an education and I work?
Its like in some peoples eyes I can't possibly be black because of those things.

That is what the op is talking about.
Gotcha.

Honestly, I think you may be reading things into what people say. And there may be the assumption that "acting black" is a bad thing.

Since we're talking examples, I'll give you a couple...

- Where I live, there are a lot of blacks who drive Donk Cars. You know what I'm talking about. Yes, it is the black guys who drive these cars - not middle-aged white women... But is that automatically a bad thing? Not that I'm aware of. Donk Cars aren't my style, but there's nothing inherently wrong with that style of automobile modification, just because it's black guys who like them.

- Most of the women who work with my wife are black. It's an office where they handle a lot of money (Gasp! Black people handling other people's money!) Sometimes one of these ladies gets a phone call from one of their teenage daughters, and when a bit irritated, she'll immediately snap into the "black mama" lingo. Again, you know exactly what I'm talking about. White women don't do that. Black women do. But is there something wrong with it? Not that I'm aware of.

To say something like, "that's not very black" doesn't often mean very much. Or at least not in my family, or where I live.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:06 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Gotcha.

Honestly, I think you may be reading things into what people say. And there may be the assumption that "acting black" is a bad thing.

Since we're talking examples, I'll give you a couple...

- Where I live, there are a lot of blacks who drive Donk Cars. You know what I'm talking about. Yes, it is the black guys who drive these cars - not middle-aged white women... But is that automatically a bad thing? Not that I'm aware of. Donk Cars aren't my style, but there's nothing inherently wrong with that style of automobile modification, just because it's black guys who like them.

- Most of the women who work with my wife are black. It's an office where they handle a lot of money (Gasp! Black people handling other people's money!) Sometimes one of these ladies gets a phone call from one of their teenage daughters, and when a bit irritated, she'll immediately snap into the "black mama" lingo. Again, you know exactly what I'm talking about. White women don't do that. Black women do. But is there something wrong with it? Not that I'm aware of.

To say something like, "that's not very black" doesn't often mean very much. Or at least not in my family, or where I live.

We have different experiences. This may be the case for you and where you live which is great, but speaking on the other end of the spectrum, many times it is not this way. It's definitely a matter of experiences.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:18 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
We have different experiences. This may be the case for you and where you live which is great, but speaking on the other end of the spectrum, many times it is not this way. It's definitely a matter of experiences.
Sure. I can buy that.

But, of course, that just proves the absurdity of generalizing and broad-brushing.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:22 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,204 times
Quote:
OK Ill give you an example,this may help you understand where im coming from.

I've had many people say to me: you don't act black, or I don't see you as black. Therebis no mistaking me for bi-racial vWhy would people be compelled to say that? because I have an education and I work?
Its like in some peoples eyes I can't possibly be black because of those things.

That is what the op is talking about.
I totally have seen and get what you're saying, but I can't tell you the number of blacks who think the exact same thing. Where do you think the word "Oreo" comes from? Hint: White people didn't create it.

What you're saying very much exists and both whites and blacks are guilty of it.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:26 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I totally have seen and get what you're saying, but I can't tell you the number of blacks who think the exact same thing. Where do you think the word "Oreo" comes from? Hint: White people didn't create it.

What you're saying very much exists and both whites and blacks are guilty of it.
yes, totally agree with that. I didn't speak on it in keeping with the subject of the OP but of course it does exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates