Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 03:05 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,360 times

Advertisements

When you start a thread, you call attention to yourself. You ask people to focus on what you are saying. And when you display a certain amount of hypocracy in your posts, you can rightly expect to be called out on it.

This is different from a couple of random posters who respond to a thread with one or two posts, who in all likelihood are either idiots or trolls.

One is asking to be responded to, the other isn't worth the waste of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 03:44 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Ridiculous.

For every white person who says Obama isn't a black man, there are 10 blacks who are saying he isn't "black enough."
That's a rather impressive claim. Have you conducted a poll indicating such a difference in opinion? If so I'd like to see this poll and the methodology behind it please. Preferably presented in chart form. Not pie chart, bar chart. Vertical please.

Unless you're, you know, speaking from the arse. But I don't think you'd do that, would you?

Old 07-09-2009, 04:22 PM

278 posts, read 1,063,950 times
This is an interesting post and I honestly think a number of people have misunderstood the intent of several posters.
As a person of mixed race, I think I can add insight to the discussion.
Like Obama, I am half black, and was raised almost entirely by my white relatives. So, I often get the "you are so well-spoken" comment, and have all my life. If we are all honest, we can translate that comment to mean: "You speak like a white person, with no trace of ebonics (i hate that word, btw)." So--now we have to be even more honest with one another, which is where many people from either race gets offended.
Black people get offended by this comment, because it implies that only "white" people speak eloquently or clearly, which of course is untrue.
What we all just need to accept is the fact that certain segments of all races speak awfully. I understand that the stereotypical black person who uses ebonics (we'll just stick with that word for now) is usually perceived by non-blacks in a negative way. But we have seen the same in reverse: white Americans from certain geographic regions who are also completely incomprehensible...and for the most part, we have the same opinion of them: negative, uneducated.
I have been a victim of racism on both ends. I have received it from both whites and blacks, and it sucks no matter which side it comes from. I reject the One Drop Rule. I am not black; I am not white...I am something altogether different, and I gladly accept the best parts of either side and make them my own. More and more, I see this ideal prevailing and it comforts me to know that our country is relaxing...it's about time.
Forums like this can play an important role in helping. It's okay if people reveal their prejudices, because we all know they still exist. Sometimes a person doesn't really examine their racist beliefs until they have the opportunity to commit it into words, and then suddenly (we hope) some of them will have a change of heart.
Just keep being honest, with yourself and with one another, and eventually we will get there.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:46 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
yes, I totally understand what you mean, I notice this too. IMO, the reason is comfort level, familiarity, and common ground. The black ladies feel that the white co-workers maybe wouldn't relate with it, so when they are around each other, they just feel more comfortable.

I also get a lot of: "you sound white on the phone", or "I thought you were a white lady". etc. Again, nothing I can do about it. There was an interesting study on race on a tv show where a black man who "sounded" white called to see an apartment, he was given an appointment, but then he "sounded" black on another call, and he was denied an appointment or told the apartment was taken. Don't know what to make of these scenarios.
As far as I can tell, the "sounding black" thing is due to several things:

First, there is the voice. Not always, but almost always. I mean, you're not going to mistake Barry White or Ray Charles for white guys. And ole Retha? There's not match for that voice!

But there's also the vocabulary and vocal inflections. Things like, "Oh no you ditt-unt," and "I'm goingst to go ax him a question," are phrases blacks use. Not whites.

Again, I don't find any of that offensive or bothersome in the least. But it does intrigue me, because even blacks who live in the north, and have no close roots in to anybody in the south, will talk with that sort of a southern drawl.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
I thought you said you looked at them already...

Anyway, It still speaks to the point I was trying to make...If we are going to speak out on it it should be addressed with everyone...and thats not what I have seen in this thread.

When I hear someone say something out of the way in my presence, I speak out on it. I realize it happens on all sides and I feel is necessary to help keep the progress ball rolling.
I DID look at both those posts. Then I looked at them again. And I'm still not seeing whatever it is I'm supposed to see.

In Post #51, I see a poorly worded sentence that - frankly - makes no sense.

So what, exactly, is this horrible racist slur that I'm missing?

Old 07-09-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
That's a rather impressive claim. Have you conducted a poll indicating such a difference in opinion? If so I'd like to see this poll and the methodology behind it please. Preferably presented in chart form. Not pie chart, bar chart. Vertical please.
Nope. And that's the whole point!

You've got several people on this thread, who are making all manner of broad-sweeping, general claims. They're just making those claims, and have absolutely nothing but air to back them up.

Topolis is on her claiming that "whites are, by far, the most racist race of people on earth" and other nonsense - and is saying so with absolutely nothing to back up those claims.

So yes, you picked up on it. Congrats. Now... Time to join me in calling out Topolis on that nonsense isn't it?

Old 07-09-2009, 05:31 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
and look guys, i want a race free society like everyone else here.
I don't think a race-free society is the answer to discrimination. People will always want some to step on. Unfortunately that's just human nature. The high visibility of blacks in terms of racial differences just makes it that much easier. The higher the visibility, the easier to target.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:47 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I DID look at both those posts. Then I looked at them again. And I'm still not seeing whatever it is I'm supposed to see.

In Post #51, I see a poorly worded sentence that - frankly - makes no sense.

So what, exactly, is this horrible racist slur that I'm missing?
If you don't see it being horrible that someone says that skin color is a judge of behavior or that it's ok for people to be uncomfortable around blacks because of their prior behavior then either you think it's ok or you choose to ignore it.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
If you don't see it being horrible that someone says that skin color is a judge of behavior or that it's ok for people to be uncomfortable around blacks because of their prior behavior then either you think it's ok or you choose to ignore it.
Here's post #51:
Quote:
I believe this is very true. Had Obama come on with ebonics and that "400 years o' slavery" line... he'd have never become president.

Which shows to some extent that the thing about blacks that some non-blacks are reacting to when they appear racist is less race than behavior.

Granted that's not the whole story, there are plenty that react to blacks on sight, without considering behavior first. But that's understandable. If the percentage of one's experience indicate that most blacks will behave (for lack of a better term) "African American" then of course it's just pure biology that when the 10th black comes along they are expecting them to be as the last 9.

So a guy is saying that if Obama had talked Ebonics, he wouldn't have been elected President. Is there something about that you disagree with? I happen to agree 100%.

Beyond that, is there something he is promoting here? Condoning? He's offering a commentary - a point of view. Does he say it's good? Or that it's the way it should be?

I think you're making mountains out of molehills.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Here is Post #56. What the writer of the post was responding to is in blue.

Quote:
It is this stupid mentality that anything or anyone that is "Black" can't be good. That is a sad mentality and a stupid one at that.
And a false one.
Speaking as a racist, skin color only suggests a higher likleyhood of social dysfunction. I agree with you. The belief that skin tone is the problem is stupid. But I have never known anyone that held that view.
It is a horribly worded statement, complete with typos, that makes no sense. But you're reading some horrible racist tone into it.

I guess you find what you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates