Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 02:00 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,793 times

Advertisements

I'm not saying I like it, I'm saying how it is.

I myself am mixed, and want to be identified as mixed(I'm part white/part black).
I dont want to be white. I dont want to be black. I want to be me, mixed.

What I'm presenting is the fact that I have been labeled black all of my life becuase I am insignificant to them. I am a regular guy, regular job, etc.

What I'm saying is, if I ever become a popular or successful person who white people follow, those same people who call me black my whole life will say I succeeded because I was part white, or that I'm not black to begin with, that I'm mixed.

Basically stating that if your a regular mixed guy like me, you are black or if you're anything negative, you are black.

BUT, if you become somebody, then they try to strip the blackness from you, even though they have labeled you black your whole life.

I see it all the time on blogs, etc.

The first comment on many of those sites of mixed people are what race are they? They got some white in them, etc. They arn't black, they are part white.

But before these celebs were somebodies, they were black to the same people who say they arn't black now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 02:03 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,191 times
It's all about ignorance, jealousy and resentment. Everyone wants to succeed. Black and brown are colors; they don't define people. People should be able to be whatever they want to be and left alone.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:04 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I don't think that's true. I think most white people are quick to label Obama as black, even though he has parents of different races. I think many people - whites included - are very proud to have a non-exclusively white president, and are quick to label him as black because they like the idea of (finally) showing that presidents in this country don't have to be white men. They don't want to label him as white because (a) he doesn't refer to himself as white, and (b) they like that he's not white.

When I was in junior high sometimes I'd hear the black kids telling other black kids, or also the kids with one black parent, that they were "acting white" if they did well in school or had white friends, but never heard a white kid say that to a black kid.

I think a lot of white people are happy to have non-white (or non exclusively white) leaders or celebrities because then they can feel better by believing that it shows that the racism of the past has been overcome and anyone, regardless of background, can succeed. Obviously there's a lot of racism still around, and as an even bigger problem there are a lot of social and economic inequities that are holdovers from earlier race-based policies (which is why being too complacent and thinking everything's all fine and good now is not a good thing), but I guess I just don't see that most, or even many, white people in America today are quick to call Obama white. But again, that doesn't mean I don't agree that racism still isn't around today. It is (as is sexism, for that matter), although I think despite problems it's still a lot better today than it was in the still-recent past.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:07 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
As to blogs - I don't think the crazies who rant about spme of this stuff on blogs are representative of people in general. I read the comments on some newspaper sites from time to time (or even some of the forums on here) and there are some nutty people out there, with really, really offensive views. I think (and certainly hope) that they're a very vocal and extreme minority.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:10 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
I'm not saying I like it, I'm saying how it is.

I myself am mixed, and want to be identified as mixed(I'm part white/part black).
I dont want to be white. I dont want to be black. I want to be me, mixed.

What I'm presenting is the fact that I have been labeled black all of my life becuase I am insignificant to them. I am a regular guy, regular job, etc.

What I'm saying is, if I ever become a popular or successful person who white people follow, those same people who call me black my whole life will say I succeeded because I was part white, or that I'm not black to begin with, that I'm mixed.

Basically stating that if your a regular mixed guy like me, you are black or if you're anything negative, you are black.

BUT, if you become somebody, then they try to strip the blackness from you, even though they have labeled you black your whole life.

I see it all the time on blogs, etc.

The first comment on many of those sites of mixed people are what race are they? They got some white in them, etc. They arn't black, they are part white.

But before these celebs were somebodies, they were black to the same people who say they arn't black now.
"I dont want to be white. I dont want to be black. I want to be me, mixed."

And if we had never met before and we went to the park from work to eat our lunches and we started talking how I am I going to know that you are mixed???

Do you wear a Tee-Shirt saying " I'm not black or white, I'm mixed??"

Old 07-08-2009, 02:19 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Why would you want to be labeled anything? ANY labeling by race contributes to racism and racial divides in America. Who cares? Stop talking about race and it will become a non-issue. The color of your skin matters as much as the color of your eyes. People who get bent out of shape over race (whites hating blacks, blacks insisting whites are discriminating, whatever) are doing nothing but slowing down progress away from racism. Until we stop labeling people based on race, racism will still be an issue.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:26 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Why would you want to be labeled anything? ANY labeling by race contributes to racism and racial divides in America. Who cares? Stop talking about race and it will become a non-issue. The color of your skin matters as much as the color of your eyes. People who get bent out of shape over race (whites hating blacks, blacks insisting whites are discriminating, whatever) are doing nothing but slowing down progress away from racism. Until we stop labeling people based on race, racism will still be an issue.
Rep Points to you...

Old 07-08-2009, 02:54 PM

507 posts, read 678,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I don't think that's true. I think most white people are quick to label Obama as black, even though he has parents of different races. I think many people - whites included - are very proud to have a non-exclusively white president, and are quick to label him as black because they like the idea of (finally) showing that presidents in this country don't have to be white men. They don't want to label him as white because (a) he doesn't refer to himself as white, and (b) they like that he's not white.

When I was in junior high sometimes I'd hear the black kids telling other black kids, or also the kids with one black parent, that they were "acting white" if they did well in school or had white friends, but never heard a white kid say that to a black kid.

I think a lot of white people are happy to have non-white (or non exclusively white) leaders or celebrities because then they can feel better by believing that it shows that the racism of the past has been overcome and anyone, regardless of background, can succeed. Obviously there's a lot of racism still around, and as an even bigger problem there are a lot of social and economic inequities that are holdovers from earlier race-based policies (which is why being too complacent and thinking everything's all fine and good now is not a good thing), but I guess I just don't see that most, or even many, white people in America today are quick to call Obama white. But again, that doesn't mean I don't agree that racism still isn't around today. It is (as is sexism, for that matter), although I think despite problems it's still a lot better today than it was in the still-recent past.
I'm not mixed (I'm black), but I can totally relate to some parts of this post. However, I do believe that it comes from both sides. I grew up in predominantly white school district (for most of my education I was the only black person in my classroom). Having grown up in the school district my entire life, I inevitably made friends with people who are not black. What was I supposed to do? I think most kids want to have friends. Anyway, as the district began to diversify, black students would call me out for having non-black friends, supposedly "white interests" (I love indie music and play tennis), and for not sounding black (if you were to talk to me on the phone, you would have no clue of my race). To these students, was trying to "act white."

At the same time I would have white people who were amazed that I was a "nonthreatening black person". (Yes, someone actually said this to me.) It was almost like I was being claimed as some sort of shining example of a "good black person." My white friends all used to say that I was basically white, and that I should just accept that.

The fact is that people love to place everyone is a box. Many people are confused when you don't fit into their stereotypical notions of particular race. For whatever reason, people sometimes have a hard time seeing others as a individuals.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:56 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,933 times
In America, any minority who is successful automatically achieves "honorary white" status. What I mean by that is that they get (more of) the respect and (most of) the privileges that go with being white. It's more noticeable with blacks because 1) the history of discrimination has made the process more difficult, much lengthier & therefore, more controversial than for other ethnic groups; and 2) they are the most recent group to start achieving this "honorary" status.

Basically, money and education change everything, especially money.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:01 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,793 times
I agree with that, but like I stated, most try to strip away your blackness when you make it, and overly, and I mean overly emphasize your blackness when something negative happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates