Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:12 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,547,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
I agree with that, but like I stated, most try to strip away your blackness when you make it, and overly, and I mean overly emphasize your blackness when something negative happens.
That's how it is...

It's kind of like when parents take credit when their child does something well, but accept no ownership of the bad things. You know, it's the classic: "He got that from your side of the family."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 03:38 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,786,517 times
There's an interesting video about Bill O'Reilly that kind of relates to this thread...

I'll post it:

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all white people think like or agree with Mr. O'Reilly but it does echo a surprisingly wide-spread view of this subject.

I want to stay away from making very broad generalizations because usually they are inaccurate and unfair, but there is some undeniable truth to the suggestion that many white people try to dissociate a successful black individual from his blackness.

Take Obama for example, heralded by many as the first black president. A, for the most part, self-described black man (though, of course, on occasion, he has been known to refer to himself as a mutt. LOL). However, if you mention that he is a black president, many white people will quickly point out that he is, in fact, not black but at least partially white.

There seems to be a common thread in history that once a black man reaches a certain level of success and wide-spread cross-cultural acceptance he somehow transcends blackness. There seems to be an unspoken rule that blackness and that level of universal success are mutually exclusive.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:59 PM

25,765 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Other than when someone offers the information, do any of you know what color of skin the participants of this forum have that you exchange dialog with every day? Do you know what they look like? Do you know their eye color? Do you know how they dress? Do you know if their hair is curly or straight? And the million-dollar question: DOES IT MATTER?

The million-one-dollar question: Should it matter in the real world any more than it does here?

Old 07-08-2009, 04:06 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,925,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
There's an interesting video about Bill O'Reilly that kind of relates to this thread...

I'll post it:

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all white people think like or agree with Mr. O'Reilly but it does echo a surprisingly wide-spread view of this subject.

I want to stay away from making very broad generalizations because usually they are inaccurate and unfair, but there is some undeniable truth to the suggestion that many white people try to dissociate a successful black individual from his blackness.

Take Obama for example, heralded by many as the first black president. A, for the most part, self-described black man (though, of course, on occasion, he has been known to refer to himself as a mutt. LOL). However, if you mention that he is a black president, many white people will quickly point out that he is, in fact, not black but at least partially white.

There seems to be a common thread in history that once a black man reaches a certain level of success and wide-spread cross-cultural acceptance he somehow transcends blackness. There seems to be an unspoken rule that blackness and that level of universal success are mutually exclusive.
Id give you rep points if I knew what a rep point was and how to give them. I just see people saying that sometimes.

I keep saying, if Obama was a nobody, no white would acknowledge him as part white ormixed, they would say black.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:12 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Let Obama or Tiger Woods rob a liquor store and see what is put down for a description on the police report.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:18 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
PS - Why do some white folks feel it is necessary to discuss who is and who isn't a black icon, hero, leader or whatever. You will never catch me in an argument telling some Irish guy that St. Patrick, James Connolly, or Michael Collins aren't worthy of their adulation.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:39 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,147,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
Would anyone call Obama white if he was a drug dealer on the street?

It's interesting. I myself am mixed(part white/black). In the USA though, I'm considered black by whites because of the 1 drop rule and because I'm of no significance to whites, just a low key regular citizen, not a celeb, rich or anything like that.

What I'm interested in is why until someone with a background like myself, who is labeled black there entire life black to white people, until they become successful or popular.

Then all of a sudden you're considered white, or not really black.

This happens countless times.

Obama, Tiger Woods are perfect examples. People say they arn't black, even though before they were somebody, whites labeled them as black until they were somebody.

Essentially whites try to strip away your blackness when you become somebody, and make sure to label you as black if you are just a regular person.

Because they don't want people that are not successful labeled as WHITE. White people feel if your a low life, black/hispanic ( illegal immigrant), no job, collecting welfare and living in the projects type of individual you are TRASH but as soon as you move into that white neighborhood with a degree and a great career driving a Benz then they accept you into their society. As racist and messed up how it sounds that's exactly how they are and how people are treated and judged in this society..

Old 07-08-2009, 05:02 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,786,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Other than when someone offers the information, do any of you know what color of skin the participants of this forum have that you exchange dialog with every day? Do you know what they look like? Do you know their eye color? Do you know how they dress? Do you know if their hair is curly or straight? And the million-dollar question: DOES IT MATTER?

The million-one-dollar question: Should it matter in the real world any more than it does here?
Should it matter? I guess theoretically it should not, in an idealized situation. Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of living in the theoretical but instead must live in the reality. Does it matter? Absolutely. When a person's life and history has been dictated almost exclusively by something like "race" or the color of their skin, then these characteristics take on an importance of their own.

People like to make the argument that race or skin color shouldn't or doesn't matter any more than, say, eye color, hair color/texture, or any other purely physical attribute, but that comparison can't really be made. My black skin, in itself, is not incredibly important, but because of it's historical, social, and cultural significance, my black skin is important.

If our world had a history of prejudice, discrimination and social injustice directed exclusively at people with a certain hair color then I venture to say that hair color would become as important as skin color. We might have redheads claiming Lindsay Lohan as one of their own while those with blond hair say that Lindsay Lohan had transcended redheadness into a level of universal icon status. Some may even suggest that Lindsay Lohan turned her back on her redheaded heritage when she dyed her hair blond.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:27 PM

751 posts, read 2,481,577 times
tropolis - to give a rep point: see where the posters name is? Above it is the date it was posted. Follow the line from the date to the far right corner. You will see a number, a balance symbol, and a red triangle. Click on the balance symbol of the post you want to give rep points to. A box will appear saying I approve. You can type something short for them to read or post it blank. To check to see if you have received rep points, at the very top of the screen, it says welcome and your name and when you last visited. It will tell you if you have been repped, you can click it to read what the person said if anything.

People need to stop labeling themselves as any particular race. Until we stop labeling, there will always be racism!

Old 07-08-2009, 05:42 PM

454 posts, read 796,220 times
Tropolis, you might want to read a book called "How the Irish Became White". It explores your ideas through the prism of the Irosh immigrant experience.

My opinion: most people view blackness as a taint, and have to redfine any person that doesn't deserve the untouchable status has to be redefined out of that status to preserve their belief system.

"you're not really xxx, because you're so much like me" is the calling card of some deeply held beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates