Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 12:27 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No, I'm making a new one. Obama could not have patterned himself after an African American role model in his household, because there weren't any. Which left him free to become his own man, and not what an African American is expected to be or is inclined to be.
I believe this is very true. Had Obama come on with ebonics and that "400 years o' slavery" line... he'd have never become president.

Which shows to some extent that the thing about blacks that some non-blacks are reacting to when they appear racist is less race than behavior.

Granted that's not the whole story, there are plenty that react to blacks on sight, without considering behavior first. But that's understandable. If the percentage of one's experience indicate that most blacks will behave (for lack of a better term) "African American" then of course it's just pure biology that when the 10th black comes along they are expecting them to be as the last 9.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 12:59 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
I believe this is very true. Had Obama come on with ebonics and that "400 years o' slavery" line... he'd have never become president.

Which shows to some extent that the thing about blacks that some non-blacks are reacting to when they appear racist is less race than behavior.

Granted that's not the whole story, there are plenty that react to blacks on sight, without considering behavior first. But that's understandable. If the percentage of one's experience indicate that most blacks will behave (for lack of a better term) "African American" then of course it's just pure biology that when the 10th black comes along they are expecting them to be as the last 9.
Don't give me that crap. Everyone makes snap judgments based on appearances. If they didn't, then I could maybe buy jtur's argument.

What I find funny though is Obama saying he is a black man flat out, several times, yet whites still say he isn't more black then he is white. Like I said in the thread title, Blacks are black until they become successful, then they are white.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:24 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post

What I'm interested in is why until someone with a background like myself, who is labeled black there entire life black to white people, until they become successful or popular.

Then all of a sudden you're considered white, or not really black.

This happens countless times.

Obama, Tiger Woods are perfect examples. People say they arn't black, even though before they were somebody, whites labeled them as black until they were somebody.

Essentially whites try to strip away your blackness when you become somebody, and make sure to label you as black if you are just a regular person.
I realize that many Blacks in this country have Whites somewhere in their ancestry. However, you use a couple of bad examples. Both Obama and Tiger Woods have one parent who is Black and one parent who is not. They are first generation mixed if you will.

Can you tell me why so many Blacks try to be more White? Blacks themselves are prejudiced against Blacks with darker skin and Black facial features. Many Black women will straighten their hair. Michael Jackson went so far as to undergo facial surgery to get rid of Black facial features. Michael Jackson had more than one White wife and had one impregnated by a White sperm donor and so he has White children. So many successful Blacks date and marry White women. I have a Black friend who married an African man. She recently told me that her children had lamented to her that their skin was so Black. They wished that they were lighter.

I just find that kind of stuff a little bizaar. Why are so many Blacks not proud to be Black? Why are they trying to be more White. Please tell me.

- Reel

Old 07-09-2009, 04:32 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
I've seen Tropolis's post history, it's pretty clear it's not the white people who are racist in this thread.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:53 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
That was due to vitilgo. Besides, that isn't even the issue. I am talking about how being black is considered bad by many in America and how you're labeled for being successful.
Vitiligo? No way! MJ wanted to be white and he wanted white children. He was embarrassed to be black. Well really he wanted to be Peter Pan, but whatever. As someone who is half black, I have zero respect for MJ.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:55 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
It is this stupid mentality that anything or anyone that is "Black" can't be good. That is a sad mentality and a stupid one at that.
And a false one.
Speaking as a racist, skin color only suggests a higher likleyhood of social dysfunction. I agree with you. The belief that skin tone is the problem is stupid. But I have never known anyone that held that view.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:18 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Your missing the point.

The point is, if Obama was another bum on the street and not Obama, he would be labeled as black. Obama himself says he identifies himself as a black man, because he was treated like he was black, even though he's mixed like me.

When he becomes successful, whites back off the black angle they ran with when he was a nobody, and take away from his blackness when he is popular and in the limelight. Why is he black when he is a nobody, and not black, no more black then white etc, like you state when he's a presidential contender.

I say again, if Obama was another bum on the street, he would be labeled black.

His whiteness is only emphasized when he became somebody.

This may be true depending on who your talking to.
In all honesty, I never understood any of this and I grew
up in an all white community, went to school with all
whites, it never influenced me to identify in this way.
I happen to like diversity. Now, had I grown up as a
minority in the ghetto and became successfull, I may
have a different take on this.

Whites judge whites as well, here's an example, look at
the rapper Emin M [could have spelled his name wrong
but you know who I'm refering to] he was called trailer
trash or white trash before his success. There will always
be greater and lessor. When ppl stop judging and accept
diversity as a fact of life, then all this indentity BS will stop.

Last edited by virgode; 07-09-2009 at 05:42 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-09-2009, 05:26 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Quote:
Your missing the point.

The point is, if Obama was another bum on the street and not Obama, he would be labeled as black. Obama himself says he identifies himself as a black man, because he was treated like he was black, even though he's mixed like me.

When he becomes successful, whites back off the black angle they ran with when he was a nobody, and take away from his blackness when he is popular and in the limelight. Why is he black when he is a nobody, and not black, no more black then white etc, like you state when he's a presidential contender.

I say again, if Obama was another bum on the street, he would be labeled black.

His whiteness is only emphasized when he became somebody.
I don't understand your point. Obama identifies himself as black and so does the public. What are you trying to say?

Old 07-09-2009, 05:40 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
I don't understand why Obama had to indentify himself as black or white to me it's irrevalent. I'm an Obama supporter, however, I feel like he fell into the indentity trap.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:48 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
I realize that many Blacks in this country have Whites somewhere in their ancestry. However, you use a couple of bad examples. Both Obama and Tiger Woods have one parent who is Black and one parent who is not. They are first generation mixed if you will.

Can you tell me why so many Blacks try to be more White? Blacks themselves are prejudiced against Blacks with darker skin and Black facial features. Many Black women will straighten their hair. Michael Jackson went so far as to undergo facial surgery to get rid of Black facial features. Michael Jackson had more than one White wife and had one impregnated by a White sperm donor and so he has White children. So many successful Blacks date and marry White women. I have a Black friend who married an African man. She recently told me that her children had lamented to her that their skin was so Black. They wished that they were lighter.

I just find that kind of stuff a little bizaar. Why are so many Blacks not proud to be Black? Why are they trying to be more White. Please tell me.

- Reel
The same reason why whites sit outside all day and burn themselves up to look black. Why are so many whites leaving and marrying people of other races, etc.

Why is the most popular form of plastic surgery lip injections, fattenning the lip, a black facial feature.

I see the angle your running with, but whites are as guilty or more guilty of imitating black culture then the other way around.

I, as a mixed race person, especially know that from my observation. Who do you think these black rap artists sell to? 70 percent of rap sales are from white kids.

50 Cent has more white fans then black fans. Why are NBA crowds over 80 percent white to watch black athletes and worship them, compared to the 1 percent of blacks that go to say an NHL game.

Last edited by tropolis; 07-09-2009 at 06:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates