Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 07:33 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
That has absolutely nothing to do with me, and seems like quite a stretch.
Oh no I didn't mean to imply that you were demonstrating the behavior...

I don't think its a stretch though. It probably happens more than you know. I can speak from personal experience on the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 07:36 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
Would anyone call Obama white if he was a drug dealer on the street?

It's interesting. I myself am mixed(part white/black). In the USA though, I'm considered black by whites because of the 1 drop rule and because I'm of no significance to whites, just a low key regular citizen, not a celeb, rich or anything like that.

What I'm interested in is why until someone with a background like myself, who is labeled black there entire life black to white people, until they become successful or popular.

Then all of a sudden you're considered white, or not really black.

This happens countless times.

Obama, Tiger Woods are perfect examples. People say they arn't black, even though before they were somebody, whites labeled them as black until they were somebody.

Essentially whites try to strip away your blackness when you become somebody, and make sure to label you as black if you are just a regular person.

I have a neighbor who is hlf white ans half black and says that she gets more problems with blacks from being half white really. I fact she says that light skinned black get alot of problems for darker blacks. Guess different people have different problems.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:37 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
How come the unelected black leaders don't talk about living successful black men? My opinion is that they're in the victimology business and a successful black man is bad for business - their business.

Did I say this before in another thread? If so, I aplogize.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How come the unelected black leaders don't talk about living successful black men? My opinion is that they're in the victimology business and a successful black man is bad for business - their business.

Did I say this before in another thread? If so, I aplogize.
I can agree with part of what you are saying. More talk about success in the community may help slow down the spread of negative media images.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:45 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,793 times
and look guys, i want a race free society like everyone else here.

IM THE PERFECT EXAMPLE OF THAT.

i am part white and part black, so i understand where both sides are coming from.

to bridge the divide though, I think whites need to do a better job of being more accepting and open. whites unfortunately like to close themselves off to everyone but there own alot of the time.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:46 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
Oh no I didn't mean to imply that you were demonstrating the behavior...

I don't think its a stretch though. It probably happens more than you know. I can speak from personal experience on the matter.
Okay, I'm game.

What do you mean? How have you experienced it? I am still very fuzzy on what you're implying.

By the way, I'm not baiting you. I'm asking an honest question.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:47 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
and look guys, i want a race free society like everyone else here.

I, ME AM THE PERFECT EXAMPLE OF THAT.

i am part white and part black, so i understand where both sides are coming from.

to bridge the divide though, I think whites need to do a better job of being more accepting and open. whites unfortunately like to close themselves off to everyone but there own alot of the time.
You are a perfect example of everything that is WRONG with race relations. EVERYTHING you have spewed on this forum wreaks of racial bigotry and hatred.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:55 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
I've heard people say Obama "isn't really black", some hunters from Long Island, or that he's "biracial" but I don't think I've seen anyone say he's white.

This is more of a question than a rebuttal or accusation. Does tropolis have someone in mind as saying Obama's white? I wouldn't be shocked if there is such a person, I've seen some really stupid/offensive people in my day, but I'd sort-of like an example.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,172 times
Smile Black is Beautiful....mixed....white....we're all created in Gods image.

Black is only bad when the person who believes that is closed minded and racist.....

Quote:
Would anyone call Obama white if he was a drug dealer on the street?

It's interesting. I myself am mixed(part white/black). In the USA though, I'm considered black by whites because of the 1 drop rule and because I'm of no significance to whites, just a low key regular citizen, not a celeb, rich or anything like that.

What I'm interested in is why until someone with a background like myself, who is labeled black there entire life black to white people, until they become successful or popular.

Then all of a sudden you're considered white, or not really black.

This happens countless times.

Obama, Tiger Woods are perfect examples. People say they arn't black, even though before they were somebody, whites labeled them as black until they were somebody.

Essentially whites try to strip away your blackness when you become somebody, and make sure to label you as black if you are just a regular person.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Okay, I'm game.

What do you mean? How have you experienced it? I am still very fuzzy on what you're implying.

By the way, I'm not baiting you. I'm asking an honest question.
OK Ill give you an example,this may help you understand where im coming from.

I've had many people say to me: you don't act black, or I don't see you as black. Therebis no mistaking me for bi-racial vWhy would people be compelled to say that? because I have an education and I work?
Its like in some peoples eyes I can't possibly be black because of those things.

That is what the op is talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates