Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:00 PM

16 posts, read 27,090 times

Advertisements

I had never seen anything like it. Was it a funeral or a concert? Was it appropriate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 03:05 PM

932 posts, read 1,677,536 times
I think that it was a nice home-going service for someone of his popularity. The family asked for the artists who performed to be there. While he was alive, he had crowds gathered around him and media following him. His concerts were always packed, and people wanted to see him, talk about him etc. so I think that even in his death, he was Michael Jackson.

Also, at black funerals its a celebration...there are no organs playing slow depressing opera songs. The choir sings and the band plays, and people speak. Eventhough its sad in a way, the songs uplift. I saw nothing wrong with it IMO.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:57 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
I came home from doing something else and my kid (home from college) had it on.
I had begun experiencing MJ fatigue and I thought to myself "Oh jeez, haven't we had enough?"
But I sat there for a half an hour of it (I had to leave later for an appointment) and I was very impressed with what they pulled together in such a short time:
The storytelling, the talent, the honesty, and the emotion.
Yeah, it was quite appropriate.
It was what it set out to be: A celebration of MJ's life.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:07 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,785,532 times
I think it was appropriate.

My father is a pastor so I have been to more funerals than I ever would have cared to otherwise, and I will say that MJ's memorial service was pretty much inline with most of the funerals I've been to (but on a much larger scale of course). Most of the funerals I've been to (especially within the African American community from my experience) emphasize more of the "celebration of life" above the "mourning of death" aspect. Most funerals I've been to have been mostly singing, telling stories of the deceased person's life, even laughing and having a good time.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:37 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Michael Jackson vs Princess Diana?

Not much difference is grandeur, different style, but not that's about all.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:39 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Its nice people can remember him in a positive way.He contributed a lot to music and entertainment, and seemed like a gentle person his death was sad.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:54 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyze View Post
I had never seen anything like it. Was it a funeral or a concert? Was it appropriate?
Seems to me that if it's what his family wanted, it was what should have been done.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:57 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
I thought is was respectable considering the freak show of people in attendance. I was expecting it to be much less dignified.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:02 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
It was a beautiful homegoing and celebration of his life.

Having friends and loved ones tell great stories about the deceased provides the family with a lot of comfort and with wonderful memories that may have been forgotten (or that the family never knew)

Old 07-09-2009, 12:38 PM

106 posts, read 267,648 times
Red face A Beautiful Homegoing Celebration- IMO

Nothing close to a Concert at tall. The singing and song selections are generally important in some cultures. Seems to me that is was the regular funeral structure just on a larger scale. You had the Choir and the Prelude, the casket, Pall Bearers were seated, Carefully selected songs, the Solo by Jermaine.( very traditional to have a solo of a song that was special to the decease.) With many speakers mentioning very particular moments and intimate thoughts of MJ the Eulogy and Message were covered. There was the testimony from the family. And the Postlude can be considered the gathering of all the singers. What a person may have viewed as the finale. Then there was even the Prayer from the Pastor at the end which could very well fit as the Benediction.

Very Appropriate Homegoing and despite the Stars that were there every moment seemed personal. Nothing Hollywood "this is for the Cameras" attitude displayed at all. I loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates