Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 09:09 AM

46,947 posts, read 25,984,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Do you think the Swiss health care plan would be easier to implement if the US were monoracial but still had a population of 300,000,000 people? I don't think so. The sheer size of our country poses more of a challenge than our country being multiracial.
Economy of scale ought to make it easier, not harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 09:23 AM

46,947 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Communism?
Nope, non-profits. Which means that the insurance companies can't take money out to distribute to shareholders etc. as profit. Not allowed.

So how can they compete?

They can manage their pooled capital better than their competition and use the savings to lower premiums or improve health care services beyond the mandated minimums.

They can streamline their operations, lower administration costs and use the savings to lower premiums or improve health care services beyond the mandated minimums.

They can motivate their client base to use more preventative care, lowering the need for major procedures later on. Then use the savings to lower premiums or improve health care services beyond the mandated minimums.

They can negotiate for better fees from healthcare providers and use the savings to lower premiums or improve, yeah, you get it.

Use the power of market forces, but applying them in a calculated manner. Those Swiss sure are ingenious.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:28 AM

16 posts, read 20,749 times
Nice discussion topic for Switzerland Health care.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:57 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,370,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I don't trust that a small, homogenous country's healthcare system would work in the United States.
Exactly.

I'm all FOR improving our country's healthcare system(s). But I think it's foolhardy to look at the healthcare system of a tiny nation - with less than 8 million people - and say that we ought to adopt that system. Saying things like, "We need a healthcare system like Norway has!" is foolish. It's an apples & oranges comparison.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:48 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
The sheer size of our country poses more of a challenge than our country being multiracial.
How does race even come into the healthcare debate?
Does an Asian have different healthcare needs than a Hispanic? Does a Caucasian have a different needs than an African American?
Would'nt it be more of an economic need rather than a racial one?

Old 08-24-2012, 11:18 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,370,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
How does race even come into the healthcare debate?
Does an Asian have different healthcare needs than a Hispanic? Does a Caucasian have a different needs than an African American?
Would'nt it be more of an economic need rather than a racial one?
Actually, yes, they do. But that's not really the point.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:32 AM

633 posts, read 1,735,181 times
I am german and i would love to live in switzerland. Okay, i dont see any difference between healthcare here or in switzerland, but i like how animals are treatened ( cows have the right of green space for xy days a year, they dont support or allow factory farming,....) switzerland has the best chocolate and cheese in the world, lowest taxes, a beautiful county. But speed limits are not like germany ( we have many Porsche drivers from switzerland here) ...

Everybody in switzerland has a right of healthcare and the healtcare companys cannot disapprove the BASIC healthcare. If you want better healtcare as Basic, you need to apply for. Indeed switzerland is much more expensive as germany ( most expensive country in Europe) the costs for healthcare are more less ( i think)

Old 08-24-2012, 01:50 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I don't trust that a small, homogenous country's healthcare system would work in the United States.
Comparative size is a meaningless argument.

Aside from the fact that Switzerland has a sizable immigrant population, the Swiss nation represents the amalgamation of four different ethnic nationalities who speak in four different languages. They have no official language but instead recognize German, French, Italian and Romansh. I know that Americans like to think that because europe is "white" that it is homogenous but it ain't and never has been.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:51 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
We are not goig to see nay new models.Even the new healthcare bill is likely to regress some as its npt accepted by about half or more.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:35 AM

16 posts, read 20,749 times
Hi,

I am agree with this line that switzerland has the best chocolate and cheese in the world.One more thing there is no best facilities for healthcare treatment in Switzerland area like Zurich .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates