Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 12:37 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Rural, religous and conservative people tend to be the most content in my book. It's mostly urban, effette, liberals who are and act like angry, petulant children.
I'll put my liberal contentedness up against yours any time. I only do this for entertainment. You sound like you're on a crusade.

How can a Chritian be content, when he knows that he will suffer eternal torment if he fails to achieve God's command to convert me to his true faith?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 02:27 PM

530 posts, read 650,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Rural, religous and conservative people tend to be the most content in my book. It's mostly urban, effette, liberals who are and act like angry, petulant children.
Really because my family is full of rural,religous, conservative people who are very angry and full of hate. Come to think of it most ultra religous and conservative people are. The most content people I know, don't care about class, color or religous or political affiliation. They don't reallycare about money or the wants of the world. They usually find contentment in the ones they love and the life they have been given. They find a drink with a friend and the waves of the ocean seem to wipe away all the bad and hate in the world.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:26 AM

7,126 posts, read 12,667,756 times
How's everyone doing in remaining content during the Christmas season? Do you opt in or out of the gift-buying?

Twelve of us just got together and sat around a kitchen table with a friend who plays a guitar and sang Christmas carols--and some non-carols, too, some John Denver songs and 'Those Were the Days, My Friends,' from Cabaret.

Corny as this might sound, it put the warm, fuzzies in my heart and made me content. Music and group singing does it for me.

What about you? What brings you contentment these winter days?

Old 12-14-2009, 10:18 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
H

What brings you contentment these winter days?
Being in south Texas. Knowing that I am not in debt.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Bub

235 posts, read 380,589 times
I think you can tell you are among content folks when even though they may be judging you silently...they dont care who you are or what you do...as long as you dont bother them.

Or maybe that was a cat?

Old 12-14-2009, 02:11 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I think religious people who truly believe their particular creed/worldview and don't have doubts might be content- because they think they know what is going on and how to proceed. Of course, it's a real monkey wrench when something happens that they don't like, that hurts, unless they can twist it into "a test of faith." From my worldview, they are kidding themselves, but if they can hang onto it, I think there are fewer conflicts (or gray areas) in their lives.
I'd say roughly that the people I've thought were close to contentment had both work that mattered to them and a companion in life that they loved. Damn Freud was right about that, love and work.
And then there's the rest of us...

Old 12-14-2009, 05:37 PM

7,126 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Yes, then there are the rest of us...but then there's the Buddhist concept of reaching Niravana, which is sometimes defined "As the end of longing."

Gives you pause, doesn't it? If you don't long for anything, then perhaps that is true contentment.

How many of us measure our days with "I'll be happy as soon as...(fill in the blank) instead of being happy right now.

I'm coming to know that the only thing we can truly change is...ourselves. And how we interpret things, the flavor we give to an experience, makes it either bad, good, or neutral.

Right now, my biggest wish is for inner peace..and it comes to me, in drips and in drabs...constant work and awareness to try to reach this end of longing.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:44 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
Buddhist monks that I've met were the most contented. It comes from a lifetime dedicated to prayer, contemplation, and service.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:55 PM

139 posts, read 568,938 times
This is real easy.Sometimes the obvious is right in front of your nose,....like a lollipop.The most contented are children.From one to six.Give a kid a lollipop and be engulfed in the aura of contentment.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:14 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,204 times
'Most contented people you've met? '

REPLY: True Christians, the world over. They dont have to worry about dying or their next place of residence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates