Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 11:04 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
If the first words out of someone's mouth are that is a liberal blah, blah, blah then I have no use for it. I may as well turn the tv to Faux News.

That is idiocy not division. That is someone who spends there time listening to talk radio shows and does not have the capacity to think for themselves. They just repeat what they have heard.

I have heard that go the other way as well.

Oddly enough, it has become this mantra and people aren't really wanting to figure out solutions or discuss anything. They just want to hear themselves talk.
It's interesting that you mention FoxNews, complete with the intentional slap (Faux News).

Maybe you should have mentioned CNN - aka, Communist News Network, as well as several other liberally-biased "news" sources that have about as much credibility as Rush Limbaugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 11:10 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,737 times
Well, you do have to admit Fox news doesn't fulfill the objective stance the ideally news is suppose to take though. Also, who hires these reporters? Don't get me wrong, I think they are lovely, but why can't I tell any of the women apart and why do they make them dye their hair blonde? Nothing against blondes, I'm blonde and I like lightening and darkening my hair but it's very Twilight Zonish.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
Well, you do have to admit Fox news doesn't fulfill the objective stance the ideally news is suppose to take though. Also, who hires these reporters? Don't get me wrong, I think they are lovely, but why can't I tell any of the women apart and why do they make them dye their hair blonde? Nothing against blondes, I'm blonde and I like lightening and darkening my hair but it's very Twilight Zonish.
I don't watch Fox enough to know.

But, despite all the yelling, I have a sneaking suspicion that FoxNews is actually MORE objective than most of your other media outlets. At least on Fox, they actually mention "the other side."

Old 07-24-2009, 11:16 AM

25,738 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
It's interesting that you mention FoxNews, complete with the intentional slap (Faux News).

Maybe you should have mentioned CNN - aka, Communist News Network, as well as several other liberally-biased "news" sources that have about as much credibility as Rush Limbaugh.
See, this is exactly what I was talking about in the last post. You have one side claming that Fox news is biased. You have the other side claiming that CNN is biased. What does that tell you? Think... think... real hard! Ahhhh, YES. There it is. That's it! It says YOU are biased. All of us are.

As far as Rush Limbaugh, I don't see what the big deal is. Why so much hate? His show is not professed to be news. He is a political commentator/entertainer with an opinion. You all have heard of opinions, right? If you don't agree with his opinion turn the damn radio off. Is that so hard? That's what I do. Why go on and on and on about what a fool he is. You do realize that when you do this, you only add to his ratings? So who's the fool?

I used to hate Captain Kangaroo when I was a kid. I turned it off and didn’t watch the show. I was five years old. I learned that lesson at five; how long will it take you learn it?

Old 07-24-2009, 11:21 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
(Duplicate of #26)

Old 07-24-2009, 11:22 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Well, actually Patrick Henry, Benjamin Franklin and Abraham Lincoln all used this "platitude" quite effectively. Perhaps you've heard of them? If not, you could Google them, since they seem to have made the argument quite persuasively.

Martin Luther King and John F. Kennedy-- remember them?-- seemed on board with this concept, too. Most people don't consider their viewpoints to "fall short of being a platitude," but you are, of course, entitled to your opinion.
If they all said it, how come I can't google it. Why don't you find the exact quote from just one of them, and enlighten us all, instead of just saying they all said it.

You also did not address the contradiction I pointed out in your post:

Didn't you just say a nation is weakened if there is difference of opinion, and now you say it is failing because there is not a difference of opinion?

Old 07-24-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
See, this is exactly what I was talking about in the last post. You have one side claming that Fox news is biased. You have the other side claiming that CNN is biased. What does that tell you? Think... think... real hard! Ahhhh, YES. There it is. That's it! It says YOU are biased. All of us are.

As far as Rush Limbaugh, I don't see what the big deal is. Why so much hate? His show is not professed to be news. He is a political commentator/entertainer with an opinion. You all have heard of opinions, right? If you don't agree with his opinion turn the damn radio off. Is that so hard? That's what I do. Why go on and on and on about what a fool he is. You do realize that when you do this, you only add to his ratings? So who's the fool?

I used to hate Captain Kangaroo when I was a kid. I turned it off and didn’t watch the show. I was five years old. I learned that lesson at five; how long will it take you learn it?
Right.

There is a difference, however. People like Limbaugh, Hannity, Michael Moore, et al... They're in it for the MONEY. They're like Jesse Jackson & Al Sharpton. If there's no scandal, they get no attention. And if they get no attention, they get no money.

Again, there are the extremists on both ends of the spectrum. Hopefully people are smart enough to realize that, and take what is said with a grain of salt.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:38 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,737 times
That's why it is so important to watch several news stations. mmm I don't think CNN is bias but hey, maybe you're right, I'm bias. MSNBC is good I feel like, not as exciting, but perhaps that's not the point when it comes to news. It should make you think about something exciting.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:44 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post

I don't care for CNN either. But I will actually yell at the tv, if its Faux News. I start making fun of ABC from the get go. Good ol' Charlie, he is going to "help us make sense of it all". I could ridicule a half of dozen other people if it makes you feel better.

I don't just read one article though, I read several on a particular topic. If it is international then I have to go to the papers in the countries and neighboring countries as well.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:00 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If they all said it, how come I can't google it. Why don't you find the exact quote from just one of them, and enlighten us all, instead of just saying they all said it.

You also did not address the contradiction I pointed out in your post:

Didn't you just say a nation is weakened if there is difference of opinion, and now you say it is failing because there is not a difference of opinion?
Wow. I mean, really, wow. I knew that education was slipping in this country, but wow. The country is weakened, because we have become a nation of illiterates who think that Googling is a substitute for learning. And then they wonder why they can't find jobs.

If you want enlightenment, go Google it. Or take a grade school course in American History. On a scale of 1 to 10, this is about a 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates