Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 06:06 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,982,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomersBoy View Post
Why do we feel the need as a nation to educate the world and purge them of their ignorance when we have so much of it right here at home? Let's start here and when we become the perfect nation, my guess is others will want to follow our example.
Best post of thread.
Fix your own house before trying to fix someone else's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 01:35 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
Ignorance is called into the light of day when it results in extreme behavior, culturally speaking, yes we do need to respect the ignorance of some long held beliefs that are inate in some social constructs around the world. No we don't need to condone the behavior of the mentioned parents of kids buried in sand, there's a difference between the two views, on one hand we merely observe the behavior, condoning it is akin to agreement.

In our country we have had a serious problem with our own cultural bias that makes the death penalty, torture, and other acts of violence acceptable. No culture or nation will ever be free from ignorance, it's been one of the greatest obstacles to human development in recorded history.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:53 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
When someone in a developing nation takes a disabled child out of their home, buries them up to their necks in sand during an eclipse in the hope of curing them of their disability, am I as a citizen of the western world supposed to, nod my head and smile and "respect" their cultural beliefs, or look a them like ignorant savages who bay at the moon? Because I find it extremely difficult to respect a culture of people who do this to disabled children.
But you're missing the larger point of the other posters....that the so-called Developed Countries have their own forms of stupidity and self destructive behavior. So maybe we should clean up our own act before telling people in so-called 3rd World countries how to live.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-02-2010 at 05:34 PM..

Old 06-02-2010, 05:16 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,277,801 times
Saying "Backward Beliefs" is like saying reverse discrimination. Beliefs are beliefs and discrimination is discrimination.

Last edited by Werone; 06-02-2010 at 05:42 PM..

Old 06-03-2010, 10:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Too many people, here and elsewhere, would rather believe than think and have TRUTH revealed instead of found by investigation. Believing makes people secure and comfortable while thinking makes them wonder.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Basically there are few people that really discover things that advances the world. Others just do what they are told by learning to turn a screwdriver;so to speak.But even then has the world advancements made people happier than they were say in the 50's?

Old 06-04-2010, 09:54 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Default When backward beliefs persist in the world, how can mankind make progress in the developing world? What should be done?

Nothing should be done. People who thought they knew better than other people and were intent on making others do things their way have been the cause of just about all the world's most horrible and despicable acts of murder, cultural destruction, loss of knowledge and genocide across history.

Let others around the world believe as their individual cultures see fit. Our culture is obsessed with finding scientific truth, so we can take the responsiblity to build and preserve knowledge for the future without forcing others to do so as well.

Besides, two perspectives are always more broad and enlightening than one, so why do we deliberately try to narrow humanity's perspective to only our own? Every culture has wisdom and innovation, often in suprising and unexpected ways. Every anthropologist knows that. Repeat after me: Variation is GOOD.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:55 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
I read an article today which is only one example of cultural beliefs which are counter productive to human progress.

When access to education is not equitably distributed among all people ideas such as this persist:

India: Claims disabled kids buried during eclipse - CNN.com

Do you believe that ignorance should persist in the world in the face of what science knows about disabilities.

This is only one example and many many more exist.

I read reports like this from time to time, and I'm told I need to be culturally sensitive, and I should accept how other people live and worship. But it is difficult for me to see this as simply a cultural difference, it seems like ignorance to me.
Was the eclipse thing a one time deal or has it been going on for decades/centuries every time there is an eclipse? If it has been going on for a long time, and no kid was ever cured of their disability, you would think the ritual would die out, eventually.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:55 PM

89 posts, read 141,998 times
Is it the government's job to decide what is 'modern' and what is 'silly and backward' and then demand conformity? In a free society, the answer is a blatant NO!

In fact, it's not the government's role to instigate 'progress'; it's the individual's role as a private citizen to do so. Some will progress and some won't. But the old-hat's may NOT take priority over the innovators in the name of 'multiculturalism' either!

Old 06-29-2010, 03:11 PM

68 posts, read 117,894 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: Edited out reference to deleted (off-topic posts)

When someone in a developing nation takes a disabled child out of their home, buries them up to their necks in sand during an eclipse in the hope of curing them of their disability, am I as a citizen of the western world supposed to, nod my head and smile and "respect" their cultural beliefs, or look a them like ignorant savages who bay at the moon? Because I find it extremely difficult to respect a culture of people who do this to disabled children.
There are many different cultures and beliefs though out the world. I have no stronger feelings about some of the practices carried out in the third world than I do of some of the practices carried out in the first world.

I find this strange:

Lourdes france, le site officiel des Sanctuaires vous accueille

Why would someone want to take their disabled/sick child/parent/self to take the waters in Lourdes? Lourdes has over 5 million visitors every year. Is this any different to burying a disabled child in the sand during an eclipse?

Is belief different because it first world belief?

In Mexico City people crawl on their hands and knees to the Basilica of Guadalupe because they believe the Virgin can cure illness and addiction.

What it says to me is that people derive hope and spiritual comfort from this type of activity. And as long as no one is hurt - each to their own.

On the other hand Jehova's Witnesses don't believe in blood transfusions and some are prepared to let their children or themselves die rather agree to one.
They are educated first world citizens too, who are prepared to turn their back on medical help.

Does that make us ignorant savages?

May your God go with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates