Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 01:13 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler
If these folks are so happy in their life in the third world hell hole then the United States can stop sending them billions through the foreign aide and the world bank. OK.

Our billions of foreign aid mostly goes to their dictator to keep his secret police up to date, so they can tortuire anybody who objects to the terms under which the World Bank LENDS them money at high interest rates. US aid that is not police/military is tied to agreements to buy US-exported products from corporate profiteers.

I've lived in "hell-holes" like Jordan, Indonesia and Paraguay, where I rented little houses on ordinary streets in ordinary towns with ordinary neighbors who have never seen a penny of our foreign aid. Please tell me what it is that I missed, so I can readjust my recollections of life there to conform with your official version.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-25-2009 at 01:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 01:44 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,930,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
Intelligence has nothing to do with how much knowledge you have or what it is that you know about. Intelligence is simply the ability to learn. Different intelligence tests ARE designed for different cultures. In fact, some test are designed that do not require any knowledge at all using such things as shapes and reaction times.

I don't know why but for some reason you seem to assume that all of the people who have studied this issue for all of these years are morons. Trust me this is not the case.
IQ and the Wealth of Nations

Despite a per capita GDP (PPP) of more than US$30,000[20][21], Equatorial Guinea ranks 121st out of 177 countries on the United Nations Human Development Index.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:10 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,298,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

Despite a per capita GDP (PPP) of more than US$30,000[20][21], Equatorial Guinea ranks 121st out of 177 countries on the United Nations Human Development Index.
Average IQ of 59. That's probably why they rank so low on the development scale. Was that your point?

$30,000 per capita is a lot. I wonder how they get it? Oil perhaps? I don't know but you can bet that most of the money is in the hands of a few. I don't know for sure. I don't know Anything about this country.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

The dictator and his cronies keep all the money.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/co...es/1023151.stm

Old 07-25-2009, 02:15 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,298,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The dictator and his cronies keep all the money.
Sounds about right. That doesn't surprise me.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:42 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
Average IQ of 59. That's probably why they rank so low on the development scale. Was that your point?

$30,000 per capita is a lot. I wonder how they get it? Oil perhaps? I don't know but you can bet that most of the money is in the hands of a few. I don't know for sure. I don't know Anything about this country.
------

I happen to know the place since it was a Spanish colony 41 years ago and I had family there in Cocoa plantations (not existing anymore).

The money from oil goes directly to the current dictator's account in the most convenient tax heaven. Some American and European oil companies are the ones making the payments.

People there are smart, given the opportunity they study and are good at business. But when Spain left, the place was taken by criminals and thugs.

As to their IQ, I'd say that their IQ is higher than your run of the mill european. You need a high IQ to survive in those countries.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:15 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Every time we travel the world we are shocked when we see how people live in third world countries. Even though these countries are called developing countries, I see very little development and if anything things are getting worse. You could blame it on a variety of things but I have to think much of it is a cultural and intellectual issue. The people in general are not to smart and do not have the intelligence, drive or creativity to improve the life of their country.

If a magic drug could be found and it raised the IQ of everyone in the country 40% wouldn't they start to prosper?

South Korea and Singapore went from complete poverty after the war to prosperity due to the intelligence of their people.
I completely disagree with your narrow-minded comments.

My wife is from Belize, Central America and she is an extremely intelligent person who graduated from Mississippi State University with a degree in Business Administration. She rode a bicycle 5 miles every day to attend school in Belize, rain or shine, so tell me they don't have drive or creativity.

There are many intelligent people in third world countries, and lack of intelligence isn't why those countries are under developed.

Take Belize for example, it is under developed because of negative effects of British rule over the country. Since gaining it's independence in 1981, the country is now making great progress in providing needs for its citizens. The country now has it's own government and is in control of its own future, instead of being ignored and abused by the British.

Other countries are under developed because of a lack of resources, oppressive government, or a host of other reasons.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 07-26-2009 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: no personal comments please

Old 07-25-2009, 06:13 PM

943 posts, read 3,159,535 times
I know someone who is really smart and they live in a third world country, so that mean nearly everyone in that country is smart also!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
I completely disagree with your narrow-minded comments.

My wife is from Belize, Central America and she is an extremely intelligent person who graduated from Mississippi State University with a degree in Business Administration. She rode a bicycle 5 miles every day to attend school in Belize, rain or shine, so tell me they don't have drive or creativity.

There are many intelligent people in third world countries, and lack of intelligence isn't why those countries are under developed.

Take Belize for example, it is under developed because of negative effects of British rule over the country. Since gaining it's independence in 1981, the country is now making great progress in providing needs for its citizens. The country now has it's own government and is in control of its own future, instead of being ignored and abused by the British.

Other countries are under developed because of a lack of resources, oppressive government, or a host of other reasons.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 07-26-2009 at 06:32 PM..

Old 07-25-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
------

I happen to know the place since it was a Spanish colony 41 years ago and I had family there in Cocoa plantations (not existing anymore).

The money from oil goes directly to the current dictator's account in the most convenient tax heaven. Some American and European oil companies are the ones making the payments.

People there are smart, given the opportunity they study and are good at business. But when Spain left, the place was taken by criminals and thugs.

As to their IQ, I'd say that their IQ is higher than your run of the mill european. You need a high IQ to survive in those countries.
Ive never been in Equatorial Guinea, but I've been in the neighboring countries of Gabon and Cameroun, and I don't see how their people can be so terribly different. Douala, Cameroun, less than 100 miles away, was perhaps the nicest city I saw in Africa. People did not seem retarded. It never occurred to me to think that their IQ's were in the moron range. They all seemed to be able to dress and feed themselves, and get on busses and commute to jobs and buy and sell things in the marketplace, and most could speak two or three languages fairly fluently. An American with an IQ of 60 is presumed to be ineducable beyond about the 6th grade level.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:05 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I know someone who is really smart and they live in a third world country, so that mean nearly everyone in that country is smart also!
I didn't say that everyone in a third world country is smart. I used my wife as an example, and I know more people from Belize who are just as intelligent and work just as hard. The fact that some people judge the intelligence of an entire country by the conditions in which they live, without knowing the circumstances that got them there is arrogance.

I did say that many third world countries are under developed because of an oppressive government, lack of resources, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates