Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 07:44 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,584,255 times

Advertisements

intelligence - capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc.

education - the act or process of imparting or acquiring general knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgment, and generally of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature life.

I would say that people in third world countries are both intelligent and educated based on the definitions above.

Their education may be different than yours, but it prepares them for life in their country. There are also many people from third world countries that have received an education in their country and moved to a developed country like the United States and have been very successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 07:48 PM

814 posts, read 2,307,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I think that those that look down at the disadvantaged and believe it is because of lower intelligent are really the ones lacking intelligence.

They have less education, and that is part of their disadvantage, but in no way means they are less intelligent or resourceful. Could you survive if you had all their disadvantages?
no, most people can't. most people confuse geniuses with themself (lol) and take credit for other people's accomplishments within their own race even. it's natural and understandable to a certain point but technically incorrect to attribute their intelligence to yours. the connection that is not made is how much a society is pulled along by the powers that be that train the populace. it's easy to read a math book and learn, it's another thing to actually have conceived it yourself.

even feral children of all races mimic whatever animals they were exposed to or remain mostly animalistic even if a loner. if race or situation was a true determinant of inherent intelligence, they would have behaved civilized and built shelters, language, tools, clothing etc and figured it out on their own. none of them did, that's how much we are shaped by our environment and either limited by it or helped by it. basically, this is how most of us would be to some extent.

so again, the blessings and success of one civilization over another, believe it or not, can come down to just even a handful of geniuses or individuals to make a tremendous difference. still, appearances are deceiving. in a society that seems higher functioning, it doesn't mean those individuals are necessarily more intelligent. they are trained or fashioned differently.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:53 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Yes I have been to over fifty foreign countries and a large number of those are second or third world.

My point is that while there are political, social and environmental issues that impact the prosperity of these poor countries, I believe that if the people were smarter and more creative that over time they would improve things. Am I talking about a formal IQ test, maybe not, but I still believe that the average intelligence level is higher in a place like Singapore and Taiwan than in any Latin America and African countries and this is a major reason for success or failure.
You can not be serious.
For an alleged world traveler you are incredibly myopic and I'd say fairly xenophobic.

We're being "punked" right?

Old 07-27-2009, 03:16 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,515 times
People in Third World Countries are smarter in every sense.
Why?
Because if you are not smarter and wiser than a pampered child in the developed world, you die.
Of course, humans adapt to their environment.
For example, a kid in a developed country goes to HS and then to the University, where he learns to be an accountant, nurse, whatever.
But a kid in the Amazon, for example, starts learning practically from birth the HUGHE AMOUNT OF HUMAN TECHNOLOGY that you need to survive in a forest jungle.
A fatherless kid in the suburbs of Lima, Peru, must learn to survive since birth learning the HUGHE AMOUNT OF HUMAN TECHNOLOGY that you need when you need to pick trash in the dumps, he will learn to fight against mafias and another kids, and yes, he will be smarter at the age of 10 than any 30 year old inhabitant of a developed country, because if he weren't far smarter, he WOULD BE DEAD.
That's the reason why PAMPERED SOCIETIES become extinct and HARD, SMART AND HUNGRY societies end up conquering what once were DEVELOPED NATIONS.

Take from example Barbarian territory in Roman times. According to Rome, Germanics were stupid, incapable of any elevated thinking and unfit to live as a civilized nation. According to Romans, Germanics were only good at fighting and at drinking mead, and their women stank and were not femenine, as to their IQ, well, there was no IQ at that time, but they were considered plain stupid, barely human.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:48 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
------

As to their IQ, I'd say that their IQ is higher than your run of the mill european. You need a high IQ to survive in those countries.
That's the whole point of this thread. Huge numbers of the folks in many of these third world countries are not surviving.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Given the disparity of wealth in this country could you say the same for states?
Absolutely!

Old 07-27-2009, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post

I would say that people in third world countries are both intelligent and educated based on the definitions above.

Their education may be different than yours, but it prepares them for life in their country.
In many undeveloped countries there is widespread hunger, rampant and uncontrolled disease, no running water which is to say no clean water, lack of knowledge regarding agriculture, a lack of health knowledge and medicine, a lack of roads and infrastructure making it difficult to get aide to people in need, etc., etc.

These folks are not prepared, are not educated and will not survive without help from developed countries. I believe the studies that show lower levels of intelligence in these countries. I don't think most people dispute this. I think the only thing in dispute is what the cause of the low level of intelligence is.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
In many undeveloped countries there is widespread hunger, rampant and uncontrolled disease, no running water which is to say no clean water, lack of knowledge regarding agriculture, a lack of health knowledge and medicine, a lack of roads and infrastructure making it difficult to get aide to people in need, etc., etc.

These folks are not prepared, are not educated and will not survive without help from developed countries. I believe the studies that show lower levels of intelligence in these countries. I don't think most people dispute this. I think the only thing in dispute is what the cause of the low level of intelligence is.
i can see you just glossed over my post. i doubt, actually i'm sure, you would not do better if it weren't for the knowledge you already gained that you assume you would just know that was learned because of another.

this is the critical point. pay attention to this part. we are talking about general populations rather than exceptions such as geniuses.

the average iq is 100, even in a developed world. considering the amount of resources and available information, this can be construed as stupid rather than average if we look at this from a sliding scale perspective.

so it goes to show most people are not as intelligent as they might assume they are just because they happen to live in a more modern society.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
i can see you just glossed over my post. i doubt, actually i'm sure, you would not do better if it weren't for the knowledge you already gained that you assume you would just know that was learned because of another.

this is the critical point. pay attention to this part. we are talking about general populations rather than exceptions such as geniuses.

the average iq is 100, even in a developed world. considering the amount of resources and available information, this can be construed as stupid rather than average if we look at this from a sliding scale perspective.

so it goes to show most people are not as intelligent as they might assume they are just because they happen to live in a more modern society.
Well, you are right about one thing. I've read your post two or three times and I'm still not sure what you're saying. I think what you are trying to say is that the average IQ in all countries is the same. If that's your point, I disagree.

I base my opinion on things I've read by people who have researched and studied this issue. I know that doesn't necessarily mean that they are right. But what they say in addition to my research on similar topics as well as my personal experiences is what I base my opinions on. I reach conclusions. I don't just make things up.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
Well, you are right about one thing. I've read your post two or three times and I'm still not sure what you're saying. I think what you are trying to say is that the average IQ in all countries is the same. If that's your point, I disagree.

I base my opinion on things I've read by people who have researched and studied this issue. I know that doesn't necessarily mean that they are right. But what they say in addition to my research on similar topics as well as my personal experiences is what I base my opinions on. I reach conclusions. I don't just make things up.
No, i'm trying to say that the few make the difference for the many in terms of advancement. the average iq of some countries are higher because they have access to modern education, better nutrition and healthcare.

children even in africa when given these opportunities can also excel. interestingly educated africans tend to be more studious or more intelligent than the average african-american. there are a lot of variables there but if you are talking about advantages or disadvantages, this applies to most people not to the genetic anomaly of geniuses which are more rare. in other words, we all need help or assistance or we're screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates