Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 05:42 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
No, i'm trying to say that the few make the difference for the many in terms of advancement. the average iq of some countries are higher because they have access to modern education, better nutrition and healthcare.

children even in africa when given these opportunities can also excel. interestingly educated africans tend to be more studious or more intelligent than the average african-american. there are a lot of variables there but if you are talking about advantages or disadvantages, this applies to most people not to the genetic anomaly of geniuses which are more rare. in other words, we all need help or assistance or we're screwed.
Ok, I understand what you are saying. However, I still disagree. I have no doubt that there are Africans who can become well educated and do well in industrialized countries. Most of what I say is based on averages, percentages and rates. In third world countries there are certainly people with high IQ's. However, there are not enough of them to move their countries out of third world status.

Yes, we all need our best and brightest i.e. geniuses. However, a modern technologically advaced industrialized country needs a work force that includes a lot of people who can understand at least some of what they came up with. I work in technology and I am often amazed at what some of these highly intelligent people have come up with and I do struggle to understand it. I count myself lucky to be able to understand enough of it to work in the industry but I am no where near smart enough to come up with any of this stuff.

If it was simply a matter of education then there would be a lot fewer undeveloped countries and a lot fewer people in all countries including the US who do not have the ability to achieve much more than they need to survive, with many not even able to achieve that much, and a lot fewer people living in poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 06:42 AM

814 posts, read 2,307,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
Ok, I understand what you are saying. However, I still disagree. I have no doubt that there are Africans who can become well educated and do well in industrialized countries. Most of what I say is based on averages, percentages and rates. In third world countries there are certainly people with high IQ's. However, there are not enough of them to move their countries out of third world status.

Yes, we all need our best and brightest i.e. geniuses. However, a modern technologically advaced industrialized country needs a work force that includes a lot of people who can understand at least some of what they came up with. I work in technology and I am often amazed at what some of these highly intelligent people have come up with and I do struggle to understand it. I count myself lucky to be able to understand enough of it to work in the industry but I am no where near smart enough to come up with any of this stuff.

If it was simply a matter of education then there would be a lot fewer undeveloped countries and a lot fewer people in all countries including the US who do not have the ability to achieve much more than they need to survive, with many not even able to achieve that much, and a lot fewer people living in poverty.
I agree this is true obviously. You can't do much with an idea if no one can understand it around you. But my point is that people tend to assume that they are smart just because they happen to live in a more successful society and everyone in a less successful society must be stupid. it's amazing how many people actually assume this.
sometimes the problem is not even with intelligence but a personality characteristics among those people to produce a certain type of political unrest etc where other factors become more dominant and more stable or productive life is not conducive to manifest. this may have nothing to do with what we consider intelligence, though i may personally consider it is a part of intelligence and in some ways i do. it's like someone who is lazy, has an addictive personality and an alcoholic is probably not going to be successful even if they are very intelligent. our characteristics for success are manyfold which include our personality, our drives, our discipline etc. most countries who are plagued or backwards politically tend to be very religious or superstitious. this i think stems from a combination of intelligence or lack thereof to also personality characteristics (archaic). even most americans are religious but that isn't totally hindering because of other factors and plenty of atheistic geniuses packing a punch where it counts in science, medicine and technology. even in modern societies you have those who cause destructive and stupid problems, some of which have nothing to do with finite intelligence or iq from the likes of enron to the simple thug on the street. i believe true intelligence is comprehensive but western society doesn't even define it that way either. everyone is lacking in some area or have strengths in some areas.

in conclusion, i believe that all countries can eventually improve where they need to or want to. it may take a lot of time but i don't think it's a case that what we consider a third world country today is written in stone forever.

Last edited by leaana; 07-27-2009 at 07:01 AM..

Old 07-27-2009, 06:56 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Intelligence is not the ability to survive in an environment. If that were true, Kudzu would be more intelligent than Neanderthal. Even Lemmings survived for millions of years, and they jump off cliffs into the ocean. Ostriches put their heads in the sand when threatened, and they survive just fine. Armadillos ward off speeding readimix trucks by rearing up and baring their teeth, and there are still plenty of armadillos.

Intelligence is the ability to go through this thread and read the posts, and recognize the baloney when you see it.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Intelligence is not the ability to survive in an environment. If that were true, Kudzu would be more intelligent than Neanderthal. Even Lemmings survived for millions of years, and they jump off cliffs into the ocean. Ostriches put their heads in the sand when threatened, and they survive just fine. Armadillos ward off speeding readimix trucks by rearing up and baring their teeth, and there are still plenty of armadillos.

Intelligence is the ability to go through this thread and read the posts, and recognize the baloney when you see it.
this thread is about people in third world countries with average lower iq's. i think it has more to do with lack of education for the majority of them. i've traveled the world several times and i never got the impression those people were any less capable than those in modern society. it's lack of exposure, knowledge and acclimation. i'm sure there are skills or abilities they have that will never be noticed or be honed.

Quote:
if you are as intelligent as you assume you are, then you would know this is only one skillset in the world of intelligence. no more different than discerning colors. that's more along the lines of survival mechanisms and a building block of intelligence. lol

Old 07-27-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:

if you are as intelligent as you assume you are, then you would know this is only one skillset in the world of intelligence. no more different than discerning colors. that's more along the lines of survival mechanisms and a building block of intelligence. lol
Discerning truth and logic is a much more important skillset than discerning color. A speaker of a grue language can learn to make good judgments. But not a person who is incapable of drawing simple cause and effect relationships or recognizing analogies.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Discerning truth and logic is a much more important skillset than discerning color. A blind person can learn to make good judgments. But not a person who is incapable of drawing simple cause and effect relationships or recognizing analogies.
of course but that's more deduction which is one aspect of intelligence. then there is conceptual intelligence.

this is going off a tangent considering i'm talking about the fact i really see a lot of variables that affect those in third world countries which intelligence is only a part of the problem.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
of course but that's more deduction which is one aspect of intelligence. then there is conceptual intelligence.

this is going off a tangent considering i'm talking about the fact i really see a lot of variables that affect those in third world countries which intelligence is only a part of the problem.
The OP is about IQ, and deduction is essentially the only aspect of intelligence that IQ tests are designed to measure. If this, then what.

You can make all kinds of analogies about the relationship between survival and behavior, not always reflecting intelligence. Slave owners punished slaves who exhibited intelligence, so intellect actually ran counter to survival.

Even in our own culture, we have systematized punishment against deductive intelligence. Individuals with high deductive reasoning skills are often lacking in (if not contemptuous of) "social intelligence", which retards their advancement and militates against placement in positions where intellect would be an advantage. No doubt the same effect applies in Africa, where a "cheeky" worker is banished from the jobsite. The wheel was invented by the lazy worker, not the industrious one. Such attitudes actually serve to select out intelligence.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:25 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,472 times
In October 2007 the nobel prize winner James Watson ( who along with Francis Crick unravelled the structure of DNA ) said that blacks are genetically less intelligent than whites.

Now when a Nobel leauriate makes a comment like this people take notice, and of course he took a lot of flak, and there were plenty of debates about it in the media.

One interesting fact that emerged from these debates, was that no-one, could name six inventions that come from sub- saharan Africa.

Maybe someone on this thread could do better.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
The OP is about IQ, and deduction is essentially the only aspect of intelligence that IQ tests are designed to measure. If this, then what.

You can make all kinds of analogies about the relationship between survival and behavior, not always reflecting intelligence. Slave owners punished slaves who exhibited intelligence, so intellect actually ran counter to survival.

Even in our own culture, we have systematized punishment against deductive intelligence. Individuals with high deductive reasoning skills are often lacking in (if not contemptuous of) "social intelligence", which retards their advancement and militates against placement in positions where intellect would be an advantage. No doubt the same effect applies in Africa, where a "cheeky" worker is banished from the jobsite. The wheel was invented by the lazy worker, not the industrious one. Such attitudes actually serve to select out intelligence.
so do you think those in third world countries are 'inherently' less intelligent? lol. also, what is considered third-world was defined by whites and that is pretty much any country that did not have the living standards of western culture. i'm not talking about survival. what's interesting is though i can see the intelligence that is technology and innovation. i also saw a lot of unintelligent side effects such as chemically processed foods and too much compartmentalization that was unnecessary and restricting. though i saw the 'creativity', i also saw ironicly a lot of stricture and lack of creativity.

i see aspects of society in some third world countries that i think are quite smart and great that i don't see in western society but then it's a different attitude toward life also.

Last edited by leaana; 07-27-2009 at 08:36 AM..

Old 07-27-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
In October 2007 the nobel prize winner James Watson ( who along with Francis Crick unravelled the structure of DNA ) said that blacks are genetically less intelligent than whites.

Now when a Nobel leauriate makes a comment like this people take notice, and of course he took a lot of flak, and there were plenty of debates about it in the media.

One interesting fact that emerged from these debates, was that no-one, could name six inventions that come from sub- saharan Africa.

Maybe someone on this thread could do better.
there is nothing to dispute except are you a nobel prize winner just because you are white? lol.

i think that rounds out my point that no one is totally hopeless. i think all countries and people can improve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates