Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 09:35 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times

Advertisements

Can anyone explain what racism means? Since the word is so misused on these forums and elsewhere, maybe its time to clarify it...

Old 07-31-2009, 10:58 AM

324 posts, read 1,138,791 times
"Black people can not be racists, it is only white people. Black people do not relocate to different neighborhoods if they see a white family moving in." ........ as stated in the first post.

IT IS THIS MENTALITY THAT WILL KEEP RACE RELATIONS FROM CHANGING FOR THE BETTER!

There are white racists, there ARE black racists...if my black friend is correct, some darker skinned blacks don't care for lighter skinned blacks.
Hmmmm.....

I am a white female that is proud to be a "redneck".(misunderstood for being racist among blacks). I went to a high school in Kentucky that had TWO black people in it! I drive a jeep, and carry a loaded pistol in the glove box. (I do have a concealed carry).....
I like four wheelers, going to the firing range with my husband, and deep in my jewelry box I have a pair of Confederate flag earrings that I've never worn.

HOWEVER!!!! 6 weeks ago a black family moved in next door to me
and I immediately welcomed them to our neighborhood by introducing my husband and I to them....with open arms. Every evening we say hello to each other across the hedges as we pull in from work. They have two precious little girls, one that loves to come over and show me her pretty flip flops....she tells me my flip flops are too plain

They are MUCH better neighbors than the previous (White) ones.....I don't have a problem whatsoever when them. I'm not running from my neighborhood by any means! I give everyone a chance no matter the color of their skin and it really breaks my heart that a lot of society doesn't.

There is sooo much ignorance on both the white and black sides, it frightens me.......Until each and every one of us looks inside OURSELF and deals with whatever race issues we have (don't worry about what anybody else says) , things aren't gonna change.

Last edited by centre; 07-31-2009 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: typo and left word out

Old 07-31-2009, 11:04 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Princeton Wordnet states

the prejudice that members of one race are intrinsically superior to members of other races
discriminatory or abusive behavior towards members of another race

A Canadian University site states racism is

"a manifestation of stereotypical attitudes towards members of a certain race or ethnic group. Inappropriate treatment based on race constitutes racism."

I think treatment of people based on clothing or dialect choices, which is what some are discussing, is not racism so long as the treatment is applied equally regardless of race. Like if you just avoid all people, regardless of race, who "talk street" or wear baggy clothes than I think that wouldn't be racist. It might be prejudiced, but that's different.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:43 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaha rocks View Post
i bolded the parts that are stupid.
lololol

Old 07-31-2009, 12:52 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
NO ONE IS NATURALLY RACIST!

this is the second time i will reference a billboard i saw some time back.

it was a group of 1st graders maybe, all differnt races, all smilling, arms interlocked.

the text of the billboard read NO ONE IS BORN A BIGOT

i beleive that firmly to this day.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:03 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenourtv View Post
May I assume without asking that the majority of the people who post on this board are white? With that assumption can the majority of you honestly say that you have not once in your lives made a negative predetermined conclusion if you see a black man anywhere? If you say no I know most of you have to be lying to yourselves.

It is called white hypocrisy...most white people go through each day thinking they are not racist. However, most of these white folks who already have this notion probably haven't had any meaningful conversations with a black man. So when a potential or random encounter happens, whether a black family moves into there neighborhoods, or they see many black men around there property, they show their true colors. They do what comes natural to them in my opinion because they do not know how to act any other way. All they know and believe about black culture is what they see in the media and unfortunately the media portray black culture negatively. I see it all the time, when I encounter a white person they act real funny, like they have not been aroung a black person before.

Black people can not be racists, it is only white people. Black people do not relocate to different neighborhoods if they see a white family moving in. There is an affluent community in Lithonia, Georgia, home to many successful and wealthy black families. There was a home that was purchased by a white family, and from that interview the white family said they have had no problems and there neighbors have welcomed and accepted them. In Morehouse College, a HBCU, recently they had a white valedictorian, according to him he was mostly accepted by his peers. If a black family moves to white neighborhood, white family will worry about the value of there home declining. If a black person goes to a school that is predominantly white, most white people will be thinking he is only there to play sports. White people throughout history have not accepted or showed any signs of accepting people who look different from them based on the color of there skin.

This is why you see incidents like what occurred at the Valley Swim Club, and white flight. Even with a black president, I guess some things wont change. It is interesting though how tight a white woman would hold onto her purse or her belongings if a black man passes her by on the street, or how quickly a white person would follow a black man around the store, or automatically contact security to watch his every move. I guess it is what it is, and if you look at history it comes as no surprise.
Wow! As tactful as I am trying to be, this is the best I can do.

They say there is not such a thing as a stupid question. I believe I just saw the exception in the title of the thread.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 07-31-2009, 01:07 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
The OP has to be one of the most asinine things I've read in a long time--directly from the Troll 101 textbook. It's obvious cookie-cutter rhetoric is clearly designed to do nothing more than single out and ridicule a certain type or category of person based on his/her race, incite anger, and name call. If that isn't racist then nothing on the face of this planet is.

Is there any chance of getting a separate forum for those who want to constantly harp on the issue of race? This one is being overrun by such threads. And it's nearly the same underlying message each time: those with one color or wrapping paper are bad. Those with another color of wrapping paper are good. What a pathetic, narrow-minded message.

AND: I'm not going to describe it explicitly, but did anyone else notice what the wording of the question in the OP topic heading is really implying? Jesus, you want to talk about a racist statement. Compare the first half of the sentence splice with the second and think about the implication there. I doubt it was intended to imply what it does, but that implication is way more racist than the actual intended question. Way to go, Troll.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:09 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
of course black people can be racist. anyone can be racist. i think what you are trying to convey is how you perceive whites to be racist.

there is a segment of whites who form race-based movements and organizations. the racial discussions among them are rooted in the stereotypical eugenics beliefs and they take it seriously and discuss it in detail. so in that sense, they are a bit extreme. maybe whites may have a certain streak or quality in conjunction with their racism but you can't just isolate racism when others can be racist.
the belief that there is no racial hatred in the AA community blinds its members to great evil and works against the teachings of reverand martin luther king. he died trying to stop the hatred.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:00 PM

632 posts, read 1,517,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
NO ONE IS NATURALLY RACIST!
For me personally, I agree with this. I believe and am told when I was young, I viewed us all alike - played with kids from other races and barely noticed we looked different. Then I was raised by a father who was racist (he was born in 1933) and in an area where mostly whites lived.

Then I got to college and got to know people from varying backgrounds and continued to hear racist viewpoints from my father and his beliefs actually helped reform mine - I saw how silly, ignorant and fearful his beliefs were to judge people just because of their race and I now judge them for a ton of other available things - stupidity, bad judgment, their treatment of others, etc.

I believe at least MY family has come a long way. In my 20's, Dad would tell racist jokes at Christmas and we were afraid to say anything. Last Christmas, we discussed our soon-to-be new president and I could tell Dad wanted to say plenty (none of it good - all of it based on race alone), but felt unwelcome doing so!!!

Old 07-31-2009, 02:50 PM

888 posts, read 1,591,757 times
Quote:
May I assume without asking that the majority of the people who post on this board are white? With that assumption can the majority of you honestly say that you have not once in your lives made a negative predetermined conclusion if you see a black man anywhere? If you say no I know most of you have to be lying to yourselves.
I live in a 99.999% white city. Can't really say it's a everyday occurrance to see people from any other race around. This town doesn't exactly draw huge masses of immigrants.. but i don't have really anything bad to say about the few that have come. I do my best to treat them just like any other people, and hope they view me the same way.

Quote:
It is called white hypocrisy...most white people go through each day thinking they are not racist. However, most of these white folks who already have this notion probably haven't had any meaningful conversations with a black man. So when a potential or random encounter happens, whether a black family moves into there neighborhoods, or they see many black men around there property, they show their true colors. They do what comes natural to them in my opinion because they do not know how to act any other way. All they know and believe about black culture is what they see in the media and unfortunately the media portray black culture negatively. I see it all the time, when I encounter a white person they act real funny, like they have not been aroung a black person before.
Had more than a few conversations with black people when i lived a few years in Washington DC in a majority-black neighborhood and went to school there.

Quote:
Black people can not be racists
Hope you are joking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates