Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 04:44 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,097,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Does it really take any talent whatsoever to hit the gold with a fully loaded compound at 30 meters?
Apparently since not everyone given he same gear seem to be able tot receive the same scores.

Quote:
Is there really any sport in simply lining up sights, then pulling the trigger on the release?
If it were as simple as you make it seem, I should be getting ready for my trip to London! Unfortunately me, and my tricked out bow will just be content to plink away in the backyard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 07:16 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,426,515 times
Quote:
Why is there a trend of people moving to traditional who say they're bored with modern bows?

Because they can. It offers more challenge but that does not mean modern archery equip isn't archery. Why is there a trend to use primitive firearms?
Why do some people drive standard shift?
Should we not consider a scoped megamagnum modern bolt gun a rifle because some folks like iron sighted charcoal burners?
Should we not consider automatic transmission cars automobiles because any idiot can drive them much easier than standard?

I said it in my first response to this silly thread & I'll say it again, I dont like elitism. If you feel special because you shoot your stick bow well thats fantastic, but a person is no better than & IMO is actually a lesser person if their ego requires they belittle others because they choose a different tool, sport, whatever.

I guess I'm lucky to be content to do as I please & not give a fat rats a$$ what other people do or how they do it.

In short, Elitists suck.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:46 AM

13,585 posts, read 15,691,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Because they can. It offers more challenge but that does not mean modern archery equip isn't archery. Why is there a trend to use primitive firearms?
Why do some people drive standard shift?
Should we not consider a scoped megamagnum modern bolt gun a rifle because some folks like iron sighted charcoal burners?
Should we not consider automatic transmission cars automobiles because any idiot can drive them much easier than standard?

I said it in my first response to this silly thread & I'll say it again, I dont like elitism. If you feel special because you shoot your stick bow well thats fantastic, but a person is no better than & IMO is actually a lesser person if their ego requires they belittle others because they choose a different tool, sport, whatever.

I guess I'm lucky to be content to do as I please & not give a fat rats a$$ what other people do or how they do it.

In short, Elitists suck.
You're not grasping the fundamental point of this thread, for all your complaining about "elitism". I'm asking if archery is still a sport when you factor out most of the human error, to the point where if somebody isn't shooting a good group or getting their group in the right place, the first thing to do is adjust the equipment rather than the human technique.

Furthermore, gear shifting is not a sport, but if you're refering to autoracing and how it pertains to transmissions, many racing leagues do not allow automatic clutches or whatever it is exactly that F1 allows, in order to keep the sport more in touch with driver skill rather than letting technology take over.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:55 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,097,482 times
Quote:
I'm asking if archery is still a sport when you factor out most of the human error,
I'm sorry but I am coming to the conclusion that you have never shot competitively because I don't believe that I know one competitive archer or shooter who would ever come to the conclusion that equipment will win the day.

In elite competitions equipment is all about the same. So groups are two feet wide? If you want to win at the top of the game you have to be perfect every time at the line. How that is factoring out the human element is simply beyond me.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:06 AM

Quote:
You're not grasping the fundamental point of this thread, for all your complaining about "elitism". I'm asking if archery is still a sport when you factor out most of the human error, to the point where if somebody isn't shooting a good group or getting their group in the right place, the first thing to do is adjust the equipment rather than the human technique.

Furthermore, gear shifting is not a sport, but if you're refering to autoracing and how it pertains to transmissions, many racing leagues do not allow automatic clutches or whatever it is exactly that F1 allows, in order to keep the sport more in touch with driver skill rather than letting technology take over.

I do grasp your intent. There are different classes of racing but its all racing. There are different classes of archery but its all archery. Your repeatedly saying that modern compounds remove most human error is false & an obvious attempt to make stick bow shooters out to be better or more accomplished archers.

Furthermore I'm not complaining, just stating opinion. My opinion is that things that shoot arrows off of strings qualify as archery equipment, be they complex modern things or primitive stick & string.

Yes, its still a sport.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Furthermore I'm not complaining, just stating opinion. My opinion is that things that shoot arrows off of strings qualify as archery equipment, be they complex modern things or primitive stick & string.
So if I mount a crossbow on a heavy base, and aim it using a Zeiss 20x scope, while trying to shoot the X on a standard FITA target at 30 meters it still qualifies as a "sport"?

Old 08-06-2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm sorry but I am coming to the conclusion that you have never shot competitively because I don't believe that I know one competitive archer or shooter who would ever come to the conclusion that equipment will win the day.
I shoot with the SCA.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:59 AM

Quote:
So if I mount a crossbow on a heavy base, and aim it using a Zeiss 20x scope, while trying to shoot the X on a standard FITA target at 30 meters it still qualifies as a "sport"?
Sure does. It would be a different class from traditional equipment but its still a sport.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Sure does. It would be a different class from traditional equipment but its still a sport.
How about just walking up to the target and sticking an arrow in it, sans bow?

Old 08-07-2009, 04:56 AM

Quote:
How about just walking up to the target and sticking an arrow in it, sans bow?

How about accepting when you are wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates