Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 06:42 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I shoot with the SCA.
Ahhh.

Look, if you want to shoot like the they did in the 17th Century that's cool but don't knock folks who are working to shoot the most accurate bows the technology can devise. As I stated before, all thing being equal, and at the Olympic level all equipment is, it still comes down to the technique of the individual archer. In the end, the only difference is the size of the groups, nothing more nothing less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 09:21 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,833,452 times
NO, but like much of the olympic games, it has evolved into the sport it is today. What I don't like is the fact that this and the shooting sports is covered lightly or not at all by the major networks due to anti gun people in high postions and the percieved ideas of anti gun fanatics as customers of said networks.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:43 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,670,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
How about accepting when you are wrong?
I shall, when I am.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
NO, but like much of the olympic games, it has evolved into the sport it is today. What I don't like is the fact that this and the shooting sports is covered lightly or not at all by the major networks due to anti gun people in high postions and the percieved ideas of anti gun fanatics as customers of said networks.
Do you believe anti-gun people are also anti-bow?

Old 08-09-2009, 07:35 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,419,133 times
Quote:
I shall, when I am.

The general consensus indicates that you are.
Your latest comment about walking up & poking an arrow in a target indicates you are aware of it. Its ok, happens to everybody.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Do you believe anti-gun people are also anti-bow?

The two sports are definitely intertwined.
I think that there is a sad lack of media enthusiasm for both because people associate each with death, either of an animal or a person.
Reason I think its sad is because the sporting use of both archery & firearms is very popular & growing. They just arent very politically correct in today's social atmosphere.

Its probably safe to say that for every one misuse of a gun or bow there are millions of safe recreational usages.

Anyway, a proponent of one should support the other, they coexist for the most part in the same sport of projectile projecting.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
The general consensus indicates that you are.
Your latest comment about walking up & poking an arrow in a target indicates you are aware of it. Its ok, happens to everybody.
I'm wrong about what?

Old 08-09-2009, 05:57 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
[quote=Tin Knocker;10187459]The two sports are definitely intertwined.
I think that there is a sad lack of media enthusiasm for both because people associate each with death, either of an animal or a person.[/quote}

Ah, more like; watching archery is like watching paint dry, and I like archery. Placing archery in the same category as firearms, with regards to "political correctness" is ridiculous. Whens the first time, much less the last time, has an archery incident been in the news? Anyone other than the op read about a mass killing with a bow and arrow, much less a single incident?

How absurd.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:30 PM

[quote=ovcatto;10194991]
Quote:
The two sports are definitely intertwined.
I think that there is a sad lack of media enthusiasm for both because people associate each with death, either of an animal or a person.[/quote}

Ah, more like; watching archery is like watching paint dry, and I like archery. Placing archery in the same category as firearms, with regards to "political correctness" is ridiculous. Whens the first time, much less the last time, has an archery incident been in the news? Anyone other than the op read about a mass killing with a bow and arrow, much less a single incident?

How absurd.

Whats absurd?

they are both shooting sports. Letting a relatively rare thing overshadow millions of legal harmless sporting uses is whats absurd. You might not know that the world existed before the advent of firearms, but arrows have killed millions of people too.

Shooting firearms is no less a sport than archery.
Watching either is no more boreing than golf, yet golf is popular. Only because its considered more civilized.

The media ignores both sports for the same reasons, its viewed as distasteful.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
I'm wrong about what?

Your assertion that modern compounds arent archery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates