Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the coach deserved to be suspended for 30 days for using the word f*ggot?
Suspended? He should have been fired! 0 0%
Yes, the 30-day suspension was appropriate 0 0%
No, his apology should have been enough 6 54.55%
No, not only did he not deserve to be suspended, he should have been given an award! 5 45.45%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 03:08 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times

Advertisements

HONOLULU - Hawaii coach Greg McMackin was suspended for 30 days without pay and has volunteered to take an additional 7 percent pay cut from his $1.1 million salary for making a derogatory comment while describing Notre Dame’s chant before last year’s Hawaii Bowl.

“I know most of the coaches in the country are rooting for us to beat Notre Dame,” McMackin said. “Charlie gives this talk, ‘We do something special at Notre Dame,’ and (the players) get up and they do this little cheer ... this little f*ggot dance.”

“Don’t write that ‘f*ggot’ down. I was misquoted,” he said. “Just please … cover for me,” McMackin said. “Go ahead, say ‘f*ggot dance.’ No. Please cover for me on that, too — right Karl? I’ll deny it. Anything else?”

About 15 minutes after McMackin left the room, he returned and added, “I want to officially, officially apologize. Please don’t write that statement I said as far as Notre Dame. The reason is I don’t care about Notre Dame. But I’m not a … I don’t want to come out and have every homosexual ticked off at me. You know what I mean, because I don’t have any problem with homosexuals. But I apologize for saying that and I’d appreciate it if you wouldn’t run that word. If you said ‘dance,’ that’s OK. But don’t use the bad term that I chose, please. Thank you.”

Hawaii coach suspended 30 days over gay slur - College football- nbcsports.msnbc.com

Hawaii football coach uses homosexual slur in reference to Notre Dame | rgj.com | Reno Gazette-Journal

Audio here: http://media.idahostatesman.com/smedia/2009/07/30/12/0730_audio_mcmackin.source.prod_affiliate.36.mp3 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 12:04 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,497,586 times
What would have happened if a homosexual would have made a disparaging remark about, let's say a white Christian male? Absolutely nothing. The contemporary double standards of what can and cannot be said are a joke.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:46 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
The contemporary double standards of what can and cannot be said are a joke.
Boy, you got that right........it's ok to make Redneck jokes even here on city data, they are nothing but White jokes,,, try saying gay, black ,or hispanic jokes reprimand city......rednecks and Blondes ok though??????????????

Old 08-01-2009, 10:22 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,348 times
Maybe there is a double standard, but seriously, I expect coaches to speak better than some drunken reprobate of a fan, it's just decency, I wouldn't expect General Neyland or Bear Bryant to talk like that.

Plus with today's hyper sensitivty, people are asking for it if they don't be smart about their language. Far as I am concerned, dude got what he deserved (maybe a little much but still) cause he could have got the same point across without the word, it's just common sense in the media age.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:16 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
i think he knew immediately that he didn't express himself well .... he let his emotions of notre dame and his dislike for them get in his way and use a poor choice of words

i don't think he was trying to disparage homosexuals and apologized pretty much immediately for it

he should get a nice reprimand, but 30 days seems excessive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates