Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 02:22 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times

Advertisements

Shark Alert! Species Struggle - MSN Video (http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-us&vid=a8545898-cf74-4476-b09d-66f0293d464b&playlist=videoByUuids:uuids:ee0e780b-308a-4586-97ab-67eae5ce5738%2Ce9d633d4-5889-49fc-a713-68e280e03b39&from=MSNHP&tab=m1189615355930&GT1=420 06 - broken link)

when will our stupidity end!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 02:52 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
The species of the ocean are so interlinked, there is a very real risk that a domino theory will run amok. It's not like on land, where there are hundreds of different isolated habitats and microclimates that harbor closed loops of species.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The species of the ocean are so interlinked, there is a very real risk that a domino theory will run amok. It's not like on land, where there are hundreds of different isolated habitats and microclimates that harbor closed loops of species.
it's amzing to me that if i post a sarah palin thread how much response it would get!!!>> but do a thread about slaughtering sharks for there fins and it gets no responces realy makes me wonder. priorities of the world are so screwed up.... greed greed greed!!!!

Old 08-05-2009, 10:59 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Maybe you should order shark fin soup and see how you like it before you push your view. maybe if they did a study on how many people actually eat that stuff we would have a better indication of the real story. Can you even get a meal made with shark fins? I have never seen it. So what we are talking about is a small segment of the world. Fill me in on the real numbers please. Inform me of real numbers.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Maybe you should order shark fin soup and see how you like it before you push your view. maybe if they did a study on how many people actually eat that stuff we would have a better indication of the real story. Can you even get a meal made with shark fins? I have never seen it. So what we are talking about is a small segment of the world. Fill me in on the real numbers please. Inform me of real numbers.
no thanks i have no reason what so ever to join the other morons!!!! if you condone such acts like this than i have nothing to say to you!!!!>>> as i would be banned from this forum for saying it!!!

YouTube - SHARK FINNING

100 million sharks meet this fate every year!!>> the only comaparison that i can think of, is some alien species comming to earth and chopping human hands and feet off and leaving us to die..

Old 08-06-2009, 09:15 AM

814 posts, read 2,306,801 times
Quote:
100 million sharks meet this fate every year!!>> the only comaparison that i can think of, is some alien species comming to earth and chopping human hands and feet off and leaving us to die..
what are you actually upset about? cruelty or overfishing. do you think all the fish caught regularly and consumed dies a nice death? no, they suffocate and get cut up and beat up and tossed about like objects. what about fishing for pleasure, do you think hooks feel good to a fish? what about hunters who use bow and arrows or shotguns for game? do you think those animals don't feel it? killing is never really humane, it takes more conscientiousness than most are caring to do. that's a fact.

actually the worst is how we institutionalized the raising of animals for food. they live a miserable existence until they are slaughtered. it's actually inhumane when you look at in totality. people tell themself it's more humane simply because they get an electric shock or bolt to the head (if they are lucky) to knock them out before they are cut up. what they go though and their life and how mothers can't raise thier young and treated totally like objects is not considered. all societies do this in one form or another. it's all actually inhumane. we do it because we can and we don't consider any better way to alleviate their suffering because we don't have to which is lazy and because we aren't feeling that pain.

that said, there are ways to make the lives of animals better and alleviate suffering as much as possible. most slaughterhouses rush livestock through and they suffer a lot and get cut up alive. this is the symptom of greed as you say since it's totally unnecessary since there is plenty of meat to go around, actually more than people need. it's all about speed and demand without considering it's unnecessary since that one extra second or minute to alleviate some suffering makes a huge difference in countless animals. it's horrendously negligent and unconscientious.

animals can be raised in good surroundings, even dairy cows, hens etc. they can be allowed to graze or raise their young and slaughtered humanely with quick and minimal pain. some are doing this but it takes more a willingness to be conscientious and consider them not just ourself for this to be a standard. that is what the shame is because it can be done but it usually isn't and morally we owe them better since they are giving up their lives for our benefit.

Last edited by leaana; 08-06-2009 at 09:44 AM..

Old 08-06-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
my god, don't make me laugh, that's retarded. what are you actually upset about? cruelty or overfishing. do you think all the fish caught regularly and consumed dies a nice death? no, they suffocate and get cut up and beat up and tossed about like objects. what about fishing for pleasure, do you think hooks feel good to a fish? what about hunters who use bow and arrows or shotguns for game? do you think those animals don't feel it? killing is never really humane, it takes more conscientiousness than most are caring to do. that's a fact.

actually the worst is how we institutionalized the raising of animals for food. they live a miserable existence until they are slaughtered. it's actually inhumane when you look at in totality. people tell themself it's more humane simply because they get an electric shock or bolt to the head (if they are lucky) to knock them out before they are cut up. what they go though and their life and how mothers can't raise thier young and treated totally like objects is not considered. all societies do this in one form or another. it's all actually inhumane. we do it because we can and we don't consider any better way to alleviate their suffering because we don't have to which is lazy and because we aren't feeling that pain.

you need to start thinking realistically instead of trying to find a way to demonize hypocritically.
yes all that is true..^^^ but sharks are being stripped of their fins and thrown back alive to die!!! and shaks dont have many laws protecting them... just look at the polar bear the polar bear only inhabits a small portion of earth and gets tons of simpathy but sharks inhabit all the oceans and get very little.

and all that stuff you say in the above post is true!! i did a thread on over fishing.. there's nothing you can tell me about it that i don't already know..we are setting the trigger on our own time bomb..

so just forget about it and go have a bowl of shark fin soup!!!! and while you are at it go have some polar bear steaks.. and if you are really bold try some baby brains there full of protein.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:15 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
what are you actually upset about? cruelty or overfishing. do you think all the fish caught regularly and consumed dies a nice death? no, they suffocate and get cut up and beat up and tossed about like objects. what about fishing for pleasure, do you think hooks feel good to a fish? what about hunters who use bow and arrows or shotguns for game? do you think those animals don't feel it? killing is never really humane, it takes more conscientiousness than most are caring to do. that's a fact.

that said, there are ways to make the lives of animals better and alleviate suffering as much as possible. most slaughterhouses rush livestock through and they suffer a lot and get cut up alive. this is the symptom of greed as you say since it's totally unnecessary since there is plenty of meat to go around, actually more than people need. it's all about speed and demand without considering it's unnecessary since that one extra second or minute to alleviate some suffering makes a huge difference in countless animals. it's horrendously negligent and unconscientious.

animals can be raised in good surroundings, even dairy cows, hens etc. they can be allowed to graze or raise their young and slaughtered humanely with quick and minimal pain. some are doing this but it takes more a willingness to be conscientious and consider them not just ourself for this to be a standard. that is what the shame is because it can be done but it usually isn't and morally we owe them better since they are giving up their lives for our benefit.
Fish don't feel pain like you and I. They don't have the nerve endings, or the brains for it.

I don't like the over fishing thats done with Sharks. It should be regulated, controlled, and limited when the numbers are to low. However, I don't see a reason to ban all shark fishing.

You think the shark definning is bad, try skinning a catfish, if they felt that, I'd feel bad for them.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:02 AM

814 posts, read 2,306,801 times
actually fish probably do feel pain. the extent and how badly may differ.

FishingHurts.com >> Fish Feel Pain

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Fish do feel pain, scientists say

Crabs 'feel and remember pain' suggests new study - CNN.com

Old 08-06-2009, 11:49 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
so just forget about it and go have a bowl of shark fin soup!!!!
Shark fin soup is a delicacy - and we love it. We travel frequently to Asia and we always enjoy this wonder Asian wonder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates