Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 09:25 PM

13,620 posts, read 12,767,896 times

Advertisements

so what do you think are they doing a just cause or would you just consider them modern day pirates.

i've watched most of the shows on the animal planet and i feel that they are just in there cause.. japan claims that they are killing the whales for research, but i feel that it is just a loophole in the system.. it's just an excuse to kill whales and sell the meat and other whale products to make a profit!!!! why the hell would you need to kill 900 whales to do research??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbROlabBfUU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 10:01 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,107,252 times
Bascially they have no legal right to enforce anyhting. if a person decided to enforce the traffic laws by run vhicles offf the roadway what would you think. I see no difference in them doing this;they are attracking the whaling ships plain and simple.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:24 PM

18,006 posts, read 15,699,580 times
I watched this show a couple times and found these clowns to be little more than comic relief . As to their 'cause'....I'm not a fan of whaling, but I'm not Japanese, so I won't judge them by my standards. The crew of this boat is about the most inept bunch of wannabe seamen I have ever seen. Whatever else they are, crusaders, activists, whatever, they are way out of their league on the high seas. The whalers are eating them alive and laugh at them more than anything.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I watched this show a couple times and found these clowns to be little more than comic relief . As to their 'cause'....I'm not a fan of whaling, but I'm not Japanese, so I won't judge them by my standards. The crew of this boat is about the most inept bunch of wannabe seamen I have ever seen. Whatever else they are, crusaders, activists, whatever, they are way out of their league on the high seas. The whalers are eating them alive and laugh at them more than anything.
green peace is a joke!!! at least the sea shepherds are actually trying to do something.

would you condone this.. Shark Fin Soup - support the ban and stop the killing of sharks worldwide

sharks have been on this planet for 400 million years and we are going to wipe them of the face of the planet in less than 50!!

well the way i see it most people don't care about whales and sharks and a lot of other species.. but would rather talk about paris hilton>> sarah palin>> britney spears etc

someday people will wake up and focus on a priorities based system, but it will be to late by then!!

Old 08-04-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
green peace is a joke!!! at least the sea shepherds are actually trying to do something.

would you condone this.. Shark Fin Soup - support the ban and stop the killing of sharks worldwide

sharks have been on this planet for 400 million years and we are going to wipe them of the face of the planet in less than 50!!

well the way i see it most people don't care about whales and sharks and a lot of other species.. but would rather talk about paris hilton>> sarah palin>> britney spears etc

someday people will wake up and focus on a priorities based system, but it will be to late by then!!
OK, I'll give them an A for effort and cahones', but the one episode that sticks out to me was where they were trying to get the fastboats off the ship, finally managed to get one launched, and the boat handlers got the lines all twisted up on the second one. They were all tangled up in the lines , flailing around. One of the women got hurt bad on the boat that lauched as well. Shattered her pelvis. Ouch! I don't support wholesale slaughter of the sea. Just ain't right. What is to be done about it...I can't know. Short of turning our fast attack sub fleet loose on the whaling boats and such, countries like Japan and Russia will not stop what they are doing. They flat don't care.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:27 AM

425 posts, read 585,436 times
When and if we ever start enforcing our laws of the sea with the forward gunmount, such obscene practices as bottom dragging or whale harvesting to the point of extinction will cease. Case in point: the Portugese, Japanese and Chinese fishing fleets.

Of course, it's no different to harpoon and "harvest" a whale than it is to process a few million cows a week in this country in support of McDonald's latest order for beef. Both are higher mammals.

The old "But cattle are raised for that purpose" doesn't cut it with thinkers. The only difference is that the whales are being driven to extinction, as the Canadians did with their east-coast cod population 15 years ago, and as they've done now with the West Coast Sockeye Salmon populations.

It's a good thing some of us have learned to live at least partially off the land. Too bad for the dependent city folk.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumi View Post
When and if we ever start enforcing our laws of the sea with the forward gunmount, such obscene practices as bottom dragging or whale harvesting to the point of extinction will cease. Case in point: the Portugese, Japanese and Chinese fishing fleets.

Of course, it's no different to harpoon and "harvest" a whale than it is to process a few million cows a week in this country in support of McDonald's latest order for beef. Both are higher mammals.

The old "But cattle are raised for that purpose" doesn't cut it with thinkers. The only difference is that the whales are being driven to extinction, as the Canadians did with their east-coast cod population 15 years ago, and as they've done now with the West Coast Sockeye Salmon populations.

It's a good thing some of us have learned to live at least partially off the land. Too bad for the dependent city folk.
There needs to be a clear line where utilization of resources and rape of resources is drawn. Thats hard to do with the oceans. We would need an entire Naval force unto itself to enforce such guidelines and too many countries would not get on board with such measures. I find it rather contradictory that the big Global warming hooey uses Kyoto as it's base. Lol, a city in a country that wholesale rapes the oceans is the namesake and founding ground of a treaty to protect the environment. Go figger.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:42 AM

7,352 posts, read 11,813,380 times
Their cause is totally just. If whalers had their way there would be no cetaceans left. They seem not to realize that the crews running interference are doing their sorry butts a favor.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
OK, I'll give them an A for effort and cahones', but the one episode that sticks out to me was where they were trying to get the fastboats off the ship, finally managed to get one launched, and the boat handlers got the lines all twisted up on the second one. They were all tangled up in the lines , flailing around. One of the women got hurt bad on the boat that lauched as well. Shattered her pelvis. Ouch! I don't support wholesale slaughter of the sea. Just ain't right. What is to be done about it...I can't know. Short of turning our fast attack sub fleet loose on the whaling boats and such, countries like Japan and Russia will not stop what they are doing. They flat don't care.
well at least they are trying.. everthing is based on trial and era including the very systems that govern our everyday existace!!! scary to think that the house of cards is giong to come crashing down sooner rather than later.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:01 PM

79,011 posts, read 61,161,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
well at least they are trying.. everthing is based on trial and era including the very systems that govern our everyday existace!!! scary to think that the house of cards is giong to come crashing down sooner rather than later.
Trying to look like idiots and wasting the donated funds by being inept.

They are grossly inexperienced and chose to crew thier boat with unqualified individuals because they are friends or have the right amount of fervor.

If I were a major donor of theirs I'd be pissed that they were squandering my money by being LESS EFFECTIVE than they should because they staffed the boat poorly.

Lastly, you don't win hearts and minds through violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates