Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 02:45 PM

23,913 posts, read 33,731,226 times

Advertisements

Couldn't figure out whether to put it here or Politics and Other Controversies.

Anyway - Alumna sues college because she hasn't found a job -

A 27 year old lady from the Bronx graduated from New York's Monroe College in April with a bachelor of business administration degree in information technology. On July 24, she filed suit against the college in Bronx Supreme Court, alleging that Monroe's "Office of Career Advancement did not help her find a full time job. She is also suing them for stress

She's looking for $70,000 in reimbursement of tuition and $2,000 for stress

According to her, any reasonable employer would pounce on an applicant with her academic credentials, which include a 2.7 grade-point average and a solid attendance record. But according to her, their career-services dept has put in no effort to help her secure employment

This is her quote- "They're supposed to say, 'I got this student, her attendance is good, her GPA is all right -- can you interview this person?' They're not doing that," she said. She claims they help "smarter" student with a 4.0

She would advise other college graduates in this situation to do the same thing. She says

"It doesn't make any sense: They went to school for four years, and then they come out working at McDonald's and Payless. That's not what they planned.

The college says-
Quote:
Monroe College released a statement saying that "while it is clear that no college, especially in this economy, can guarantee employment, Monroe College remains committed to working with all its students, including Ms. Thompson, who graduated only three months ago, to prepare them for careers and to support them during their job search."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 09:50 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,842,910 times
Silly - although in a way the universities do a whole lot of false advertising, enticing people who really don't have what it takes to get a degree.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:07 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,035,202 times
It's been three months...and honestly, it's Monroe College.

A college degree has never been a guarantee of employment, especially in an economy like ours, where many people are unemployed and underemployed. This gal needs to suck it up, and take that job at Payless until something better comes along...just like the rest of us with a modicum of sense are doing.

Though, I do have to laugh at her reasons for not having an attorney. If this case had *any* merit at all, she'd have her pick of lawyers.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:11 PM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,252,686 times
Someone started a thread about this story over in the College subsection of the Education forum.

I feel that Trina is being unreasonable. We're in a recession with unemployment being at over 10%. She's only three months out of college with no work experience and her GPA was only 2.7%. And who cares that she had a perfect attendance record if her grades were less than stellar. And in this economic climate, even Harvard and MIT grads are hurting for jobs.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:35 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,202,432 times
My initial thought in reading this is that this person is both narcissistic and delusional. The economy is horrible, and many highly qualified people do not have jobs, or are underemployed. I do not know why she feels so entitled. She clearly needs a healthy dose of reality. It is sad, but I think her lawsuit says more about her own issues than it does about the college she graduated from. She should be embarrassed by this lawsuit, and the publicity it has generated. The fact that she isn't really speaks volumes.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:58 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,376,123 times
ooh fun, another thread about this! (sorry, for some reason this story drives me crazy! I hate frivolous lawsuits!)

I won't reiterate everything I said in the Education an Employment forums, but I'll summarize by saying this lawsuit is laughable. girl put no effort into her own education and expected the college to hand her a job post graduation, even stated that she expected them to call up employers to get her interviews. please . she got her education, she got her degree, she got help from the college in terms of searching for a job (they put her resume on their system and she got call backs). everything else is on her

BTW, for some "fun" reading, you can read her compliant and her demand for "reinbursment of her tutision" here:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/ima...3/thompson.pdf

sadly you have a case of a grown "woman child", never worked for 4 years, mooched off of her mother that entire time (got $100/month from her mother), not a single penny in the bank, only managed to pull in a 2.7 GPA by likely doing the bare minimum needed to graduate, hasn't apparently done any of her own networking (I think I read somewhere she never posted her resume on Craigslist or made a LinkedIn profile), expected her college to call up employers for her. and now, 4 months after graduating from a so-so college w/ a bland degree in a horrible recession, she's complaining that the college hasn't done enough for her! and she's suing for the entirety of her tuition (even though she got a degree) and $2k for the "stress of job searching" on her own for 4 months!

this will be fun to watch when this gets tossed out of court...

Last edited by eevee; 08-04-2009 at 11:16 PM..

Old 08-05-2009, 07:28 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,095,247 times
Spoiled little princess. I hope she doesn't get a nickel.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:17 AM

23,913 posts, read 33,731,226 times
Sorry, didn't think to look in Education an Employment forums. I'll go check it out.

link - I don't know anything about the college, but from the comment by "Ed" on the link, it's not actually a "real" college.

I can't believe she spent $70k on it after reading the comment

Old 08-05-2009, 11:19 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,232,911 times
Monroe College's current tuition cost is a little over $5,000 per semester. If she lived at home like the article claimed, that definately does not add up to $70,000 in student loans.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:57 PM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,750,151 times
Frivolous lawsuit for sure, she just wants to make money in a quick scheme called lawsuit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates