Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 08:42 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
' what products and banned stuff would you like to see come back '

Bell Bottom Pants , Lesiure Suits, God, and Prayer in Schools.
God was gone? Whatever happened in His absence is His own fault. If he wants to be in control of everything, He has to stay and keep an eye on it. It's His universe. He shouldn't have made it if He didn't want to take responsibility for it. I'm getting kinda sick and tired of His so-called "Plausible Deniability" when Satan or somebody messes around behind His back.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:12 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
All drugs, leaded gasoline, cars that get 5 MPG but have 800 horsepower, I'd like to see speed limits repealed or at least raised considerably.
Some of these are near and dear to my heart. I would love to see leaded gasoline brought back along with high sulphur diesel. I would live with 5 mpg for 800 horsepower. And would love to see big block engines that topped out at 500 cubic inches back in the day to be nearly 1000 cubic inches by now. Less regulation of the auto industry. Make seat belts and air bags optional devices for those who want them. Get rid of fuel economy and emission standards and give the automotive engineers a free hand in designing cars that people want (the way they used to).

Old 08-06-2009, 06:22 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Only if New Yorkers are all violent people. Have you noticed that in places like New York and Mexico where firearms are not easily carried by the law abiding, only the criminals carry weapons and the law abiding are defenseless? Whereas in states like mine, Vermont, any law abiding person can carry a gun...and crime is low. Criminals don't generally want to risk being shot by their victims or bystanders like they can be here.
Exactly. We need to put fear back into criminals, not the other way around. The hard-core violent criminals probably wouldn't live too long if all citizens were packing heat. Or they would be forced to adjust to a new reality - like being forced to behave like civilized people. That would be a novel concept for them.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:30 AM

252 posts, read 660,952 times
the beloved jart (weird how that was the first thing that came to mind and that was the first response)

fireworks (I live in one of the few states where you can light off almost any c-class firework)

seatbelt and childseat fines (you don't want to protect yourself or your kid, its your fault if anyone becomes a projectile)

non-violent illegal drugs (I'm cool with lazy stoners, but I don't need some meth-heads running around chopping people with an axe. true story.)

topical penicillin (that stuff works AMAZING and you can get it everywhere in mexico)

Old 08-06-2009, 06:43 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyse View Post
Im not saying this shouldnt be banned and its common sense why it was, but im 25 years old and I remember when i was around 4 or 5 in a few places there were cigarettes in vending machines. Anybody else remember this and how the heck did they keep teens from buying them!?!?!
There are still places where you can cigs in a vending machine. I was at the Majestic Theater in Detroit last October and hubby and I went to have a drink at the bar that was attached; they had a machine that was stocked with Camels.

I can't remember the last time, other than that, I've seen one.

What should be legal? Marijuana.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:51 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I don't know how we got to 10% ethanol in our gas but I'd like to see that one go back to the old way.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:59 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
I'd love to have Contac with its tiny time pills back. When I had a cold that stuff wiped it out quickly.

I still have Jarts, don't tell anyone, and I still love them.

I'd like respect, consideration, and empathy to return to our society.

I'd like our legal system to return to the age of common sense and rid itself of ridiculous lawsuits. Getting millions of dollars because your hot coffee burned you - please!

Old 08-06-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
Some of these are near and dear to my heart. I would love to see leaded gasoline brought back along with high sulphur diesel. I would live with 5 mpg for 800 horsepower. And would love to see big block engines that topped out at 500 cubic inches back in the day to be nearly 1000 cubic inches by now. Less regulation of the auto industry. Make seat belts and air bags optional devices for those who want them. Get rid of fuel economy and emission standards and give the automotive engineers a free hand in designing cars that people want (the way they used to).
As usual, you want everything to be your way, with no compromises. But you have to give up something in return. Here's my offer. You can have what you want. In compromise, there is a ten-dollar a gallon tax on motor fuels. Furthermore, there is a ration system. For each vehicle, there would be a 100-gallon per year limit, which could be waived only in the case of transportation to work where there is no public transportation. People who decline the seat belts and air bags must sign a waiver, stating that if they are injured in a crash, their damaged body is just left there on the side of the road, to fend for itself.

And you can have any guns you want. On condition that if any person is ever harmed in any way with your gun,that will be prima facie evidence against you for premeditated first degree assault with a deadly weapon, and homicide if appropriate.

No? No compromises? I didn't think so. Everything your way.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:38 AM

898 posts, read 1,402,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
As usual, you want everything to be your way, with no compromises. But you have to give up something in return. Here's my offer. You can have what you want. In compromise, there is a ten-dollar a gallon tax on motor fuels. Furthermore, there is a ration system. For each vehicle, there would be a 100-gallon per year limit, which could be waived only in the case of transportation to work where there is no public transportation. People who decline the seat belts and air bags must sign a waiver, stating that if they are injured in a crash, their damaged body is just left there on the side of the road, to fend for itself.

And you can have any guns you want. On condition that if any person is ever harmed in any way with your gun,that will be prima facie evidence against you for premeditated first degree assault with a deadly weapon, and homicide if appropriate.

No? No compromises? I didn't think so. Everything your way.
Don't you think government gets enough of people's money as it is?

Come on, leaving people for dead because they didn't wear a seat belt. $10 a gallon tax, 100 gallon per year limits... Just owning a gun is prima facie evidence...
You do realize that this is America. We are the land of the free. Land of the safe is not an option when it infringes on the freedom. Better to die young in a freedom than live long in tyranny. What you are advocating is nothing short of government tyranny.

Who benefits from these taxes and guilty until proven innocent mentality?

The human race has a 100% mortality rate, we all die eventually. Let's live in freedom rather than fear.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
You do realize that this is America. We are the land of the free. Land of the safe is not an option when it infringes on the freedom. Better to die young in a freedom than live long in tyranny. What you are advocating is nothing short of government tyranny.

Who benefits from these taxes and guilty until proven innocent mentality?

The human race has a 100% mortality rate, we all die eventually. Let's live in freedom rather than fear.
You mean I am perfectly free to kill you, because my freedom takes priority over your safety? Did I undersand you correctly? Sometimes gibberish is hard to unravel, so tell me if I got it wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates