Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:00 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

Many people who post in City Data Forums, especially the Political Forum, often provide a link to substantiate their opinion or to share news items of interest. If all news media websites made you pay for access to online content how would that impact you as both an informed person and as an opinionated forum poster?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 05:23 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I don't read my news online, so it wouldn't impact me at all.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:49 AM

751 posts, read 2,481,145 times
I rarely see people posting anything other than media accounts of what happened. That's not research, so I think it will make people stop posting crap and search for legitimate research, or stop posting alltogether. I see both as a positive!

Old 08-11-2009, 07:02 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times
Most people post stories of sensationalism instead of worthwhile news. Many are trolls trying to keep the pot stirred up. I see people that need to verify their opinions of not really being sure of that opinion in the first place. Hopefully, it may create more honesty on the web.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:04 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't read my news online, so it wouldn't impact me at all.
Ditto. I think the younger you are the more it will affect you. Us old folk still read a newspaper every day.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:50 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
I rarely see people posting anything other than media accounts of what happened. That's not research, so I think it will make people stop posting crap and search for legitimate research, or stop posting alltogether. I see both as a positive!

We should be so lucky!

Old 08-11-2009, 09:16 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
First, I think that pay for content sites are a economic non-starter. Second, I agree with the post above that argues for more citation of original source material instead of news stories.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:40 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post

It also won't affect me one bit, as I ignore the Mainstream (alleged) "News" Mediots altogether. Would be nice to see less attention drawn to it here in the friendly confines as it's more akin to half-arsed gossip anyways but, heck, I can always skip the threads.

True News/Investigative Journalism: RIP. You are missed.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:50 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Many people who post in City Data Forums, especially the Political Forum, often provide a link to substantiate their opinion or to share news items of interest. If all news media websites made you pay for access to online content how would that impact you as both an informed person and as an opinionated forum poster?
I would purchase one, the New York Times. That is what I usually pick up anyway. I would also have to subcribe to something out of Indianapolis. I don't think there is to much to be gained by purchasing either the local newspapers or from their websites.

I don't think that it would alter my ability to be "informed". There is such a rush to see who comes out with the news first that you have to go back and read about for 2-3 days afterwards to get the correct story anyway.
Too, many business', organizations etc., maintain a press release page. Too, we still have legal information that we would have access to. So information can still be had.

I usually read books as it is. I don't mind using them as a resource for debates. However, we would need debates that were worthy of it.

I don't mind posting quotes from books but people would have to pinky swear that while I'm typing

spoelkj lkooi lkejo i

and then backspacing to retype, that there will still be a debate when I'm finished.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:28 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I thought it would be really bad because people would be using more website opinion than actual news reporting to back up their own opinion. Also, I like to read the newspapers where the stories happen. For example, if there is a tornado in Oklahoma, I want to read an Oklahoma newspaper not the NY Times. If something is happening with California's budget, I want to read a California newspaper not the Washington Post. If something is wrong with UK healthcare, I want to see what they are saying in UK newspapers. Plus, I may never see that great article on some event taking place next month in a neighboring state or a story about some new program they are trying out in Colorado from a Colorado newspaper.

I couldn't imagine getting timely news from only one source, if they all made us pay for content.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates