Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 02:27 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,603,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

80% of the world lives on less than a dollar a day.
80% of the world does not live on less than $1/day.
http://www.globalissues.org/article/...acts-and-stats
Also, while those types of claims show an income differential between countries, they do little beyond that are are totally insufficient at explaining anything real. Purchasing parity, benefits, and environmental contributors to "human development" are totally ignored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 02:27 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Just because 80% of the world works for less than a dollar a day, doesn't mean we are creating a greater disparity.
What does it mean? I'd say it means that the world is a pretty screwed up place whether it's a dollar a day or $2.75 per day. Doesn't matter. It's still screwed up. And since we are part of the world, I'd say that just maybe we have some role in there somewhere...

Old 08-27-2009, 02:29 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Although certainly true, by and large, you are addressing brick walls with this sentence. You may as well be talking to the monoliths on Easter Island. I'll bet many people grabbed for their maps when they read it and are still shaking their heads in stunned disbelief. You see, most folks in the US don't realize that there is more to the world than the US.

At one time, many people thought the earth was the center of the universe. In our times many people think the US is the center of the universe.
Did you read my response? I'm very well versed in what the rest of the world is doing and has done, thank you very much.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Although certainly true, by and large, you are addressing brick walls with this sentence. You may as well be talking to the monoliths on Easter Island. I'll bet many people grabbed for their maps when they read it and are still shaking their heads in stunned disbelief. You see, most folks in the US don't realize that there is more to the world than the US.

At one time, many people thought the earth was the center of the universe. In our times many people think the US is the center of the universe.
Or we are just as educated as you and just think that the statements are bunk. Are there issues in the world, yes. Are they worse than ever? Seriously?
Lets go to SE Asia as noted earlier===> under colonial rule, wars with foreign countries acroos the globe, with neighboring countries, within themselves. Eg Camobida kills off a quarter of its own population. Now: economic growth, improving lifestyle in terms of many measures.

China===> Similar story: Weak imperial rule when woman bound their feet, semi-colonial rule when the country couldn't refuse opium trade, independence and civil war, civil strife. Now: long-term trend of increasing social and economic freedoms. improving lifestyles by many measures (except environmental). Women can be doctors, don't change their family names after marriage, own many businesses, are respected much much more than in the past, and indeed some would say more than in places such as Korea and Japan.

India: colonial rule. Slavery by British and distributed around the world under their control. Divide and conquer. Independence. Civil strife and conflicts with neighbors. Now: Animosity with neighbors, but little active conflict. Many, many under poverty. Increasing prosperity. Crushing population growth, but this is because of increased life spans. No slavery condoned by the nation. Industialization bringing increading women's rights.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:37 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
This is a ridiculous amount of hyperbole.
Let's look at slavery. Not economic hardship, but literally, forced slavery, where you have no choice to leave and this is incorporated into the law.
There is little slavery in the Americas, a good chunk of the world population. I can speak for China, in that there is basically no legal slavery allowed. Chinese people have more rights than they've had for generations, and possibly ever except for times of absolute anarchy.
The world is getting safer. Fewer people die in wars and conflicts than most of recorded history.
Much of the world's population has gotten better lives. Again, I can speak for China, the world's largest nation, in that people are optimistic and most have better lives than they imagined possible just decades ago:
The Chinese Celebrate Their Roaring Economy, As They Struggle With Its Costs: Overview - Pew Global Attitudes Project

And please educate me: what are women's rights in China and Southeast Asia? How are they worse now than ever before? I'd be real curious to learn that one.

I am not claiming that improvements are inevitable, just that the past trends have been upwards, with few exceptions
If you are going to counter, at least make a coherent argument.

First, the United states is VERY far from being "a good chunk of the world population" As per the 2000 census, the US comprised of about 5% of the total world population. Article - The United States Population in International Context: 2000

Second, slavery is slavery whether it is legally sanctioned or not. It still exploits people and it is still just as wrong. How does the lack of legal sanction make slavery inconsequential?

As for Chinese women's rights, here's a quick website courtesy of Google Chinese Women's Rights There are 51 million other hits if you want more.

As far as violence goes, here's a link to the death toll from all wars of the 20th century. You add up the numbers. It is rather large, and I bet you'd find the totals far exceed the death tolls of any other century in history. Maybe even the total population of previous centuries. Twentieth Century Atlas - Death Tolls

Old 08-27-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
What does it mean? I'd say it means that the world is a pretty screwed up place whether it's a dollar a day or $2.75 per day. Doesn't matter. It's still screwed up. And since we are part of the world, I'd say that just maybe we have some role in there somewhere...
The statement was that we are worse than before, though. This statement does not prove this.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:45 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
80% of the world does not live on less than $1/day.
Poverty Facts and Stats — Global Issues
Also, while those types of claims show an income differential between countries, they do little beyond that are are totally insufficient at explaining anything real. Purchasing parity, benefits, and environmental contributors to "human development" are totally ignored.

While it's true a dollar will buy you more in Bolivia than Belgium, it is still a useful statistic that gives meaning to the scope of global income inequality.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
If you are going to counter, at least make a coherent argument.

First, the United states is VERY far from being "a good chunk of the world population" As per the 2000 census, the US comprised of about 5% of the total world population. Article - The United States Population in International Context: 2000

Second, slavery is slavery whether it is legally sanctioned or not. It still exploits people and it is still just as wrong. How does the lack of legal sanction make slavery inconsequential?

As for Chinese women's rights, here's a quick website courtesy of Google Chinese Women's Rights There are 51 million other hits if you want more.

As far as violence goes, here's a link to the death toll from all wars of the 20th century. You add up the numbers. It is rather large, and I bet you'd find the totals far exceed the death tolls of any other century in history. Maybe even the total population of previous centuries. Twentieth Century Atlas - Death Tolls
Try reading my statements.
-I said the Americas, not the US.
-Wow, 52 million hits under Chinese women's rights. That proves a lot... It proves that a very superficial understanding of other countries leads to
misunderstanding. What do those links say? Half of them could be about outlawed oppresions of women, such as footbinding. China has changed
much. Women are hardly equal, but they are much better off than in the past, and compared to many many other countries. THe fact that you lump China in with the Middle East (and the MIddle East all together) is telling of your ignorance.
-Death tolls. How about examining death RATES instead of tolls? By your definition, its natural the world would inevitably get worse as more people
are born. More people=more deaths. And how about focusing on now instead of the entire 20th century? The last 50 years compared to the previous 50 years.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
While it's true a dollar will buy you more in Bolivia than Belgium, it is still a useful statistic that gives meaning to the scope of global income inequality.
I didn't say they were equal. I did state that it tells of income disparity. However, this disparity is on an equalizing trend. I suppose the other facts I was talking about more refer to countries closer in income. But indeed, comparing those with the income of Bolivia to Belgium shows a vast distance.

And tell me, when in the past was the distance closer?

Old 08-27-2009, 02:51 PM

Does this tell of a worsening scenario?
The First Measured Century: Timeline: Data - Mortality
[SIZE=2]Prior to 1900, infant mortality rates of two and three hundred obtained throughout the world. The infant mortality rate would fluctute sharply according to the weather, the harvest, war, and epidemic disease. In severe times, a majority of infants would die within one year. In good times, perhaps two hundred per thousand would die. So great was the pre-modern loss of children's lives that anthropologists claim to have found groups that do not name children until they have survived a year. [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates