Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2009, 12:14 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

^Odd, the words go together in perfectly logical sentences. Do you have a problem with reading comprehension? You must have gone to a public school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 12:59 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Work is vital if you do not have a work free source of income. If you do have a work free source of income you do not nor are you expected to work. Like being retired. If your work free income is derived from inherited wealth you are not expected to work because you are one of the Chosen of Mammon and exemopt from the requirements placed upon the rest of humanity.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:00 PM

If you're a lazy bum, I don't care how much money you have, you're a waste of resources.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:31 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If you're a lazy bum, I don't care how much money you have, you're a waste of resources.

Hey, now I understand you perfectly. You said that anybody who is not just like you is a waste of resources. The person who hammers nails is entitled to eat, but the person who invented the hammer or who developed the industrial process of producing the nails was a waste of resources. Like that lazy bum Edison, who never lifted anything heavier than a bunsen burner.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:58 PM

Edison probably did some physical labor in his day. He wasn't a mere theorist, after all. Like Einstein.

Keep them straight--there goes that public school education again.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:20 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,130 times
Quote:
So a logger (who does manual labor) who was in an accident where the tree fell on him, and becomes a paraplegic and now relies on disability to make ends meet is "a lazy bum and waste of resources?"

Old 09-03-2009, 07:00 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Quote:
What makes it valued, is in giving you financial freedom. It makes you free. Unless you spend yourself foolishly into debt, or take on loans.

Work is a productive use of one's time.

And it's a physical exertion.

Work is the application of force over a distance.

Mental aerobics are not exhausting, and so do not constitute "work".

Einstein did not work. Work is a function of the body, not the mind.

Why should I explain something which actually speaks for itself

If you cannot understand what I am saying, then it is probably YOUR problem.
When nobody understands what you're saying, that's your problem.
^Odd, the words go together in perfectly logical sentences. Do you have a problem with reading comprehension?
Problem is...they're random sentences...

And they're disjointed...and they don't support your thesis that "Work makes you free".

You might have well just googled up a batch of phrases and posted them.

And from your belittling of intelligence and thinking ("Mental aerobics are not exhausting", "Einstein did not work") pretty much indicates that you've never really employed your brain in a strenuous process.

Quote:
You must have gone to a public school.
An ad-hominen attack just shows that you're unable to argue your point. In a discussion, it's an admission of defeat.

Discussion over - TKramar loses.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:59 AM

I've never employed my brain in a strenuous process because THINKING comes easily. I always did very well in school, without even having to study. I read extensively. I enjoy word puzzles, and figuring out my grocery bill in my head. My brain is very active, but it isn't "work" when I use it--because it's second nature for me to do so, not "work". Whereas when I'm picking up a 205-pound pressure washer to put it on the shelf, that's work.

I noticed that when you quoted all those sentences, you did not bother to also quote the posts I might have been responding to, removing all context from the content.

Shall I make one LONG post summarizing everything I had been saying in a terse, concise fashion? I didn't see a need to "waste words". Why do so when I can make my points in as few words as possible?

Old 09-04-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
So a logger (who does manual labor) who was in an accident where the tree fell on him, and becomes a paraplegic and now relies on disability to make ends meet is "a lazy bum and waste of resources?"
It is unfortunate, but there's no reason he should continue to live if he cannot work.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:14 AM

604 posts, read 1,186,089 times
Quote:
It is unfortunate, but there's no reason he should continue to live if he cannot work.
That's just absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates