Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2009, 10:21 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

No..it's not. He's of no value anymore. Just like a horse that breaks a leg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 10:30 AM

604 posts, read 1,186,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
No..it's not. He's of no value anymore. Just like a horse that breaks a leg.
Umm, yes it is, absurd....the idea that anyone who sustains a catastrophic injury which prevents them from working might as well be dead. Yes, that is absurd.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:37 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Thread going off course...
It's about more people than jobs available. If 20 honest people who want to work apply for one job, 19 will be without a job.
America will have to prepare itself for the sight of expanding slums, shanty towns, and the increase of more poor people living on the streets. That's America's future.
I saw this coming a long time ago, it was the main reason I never had any children (my grandchildren are from my wife's son and his wife).

Old 09-04-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
Umm, yes it is, absurd....the idea that anyone who sustains a catastrophic injury which prevents them from working might as well be dead. Yes, that is absurd.
Perfectly reasonable. As a matter of fact, if I ever wind up in a position in which I cannot work, I'm going to do the honorable thing.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:56 AM

604 posts, read 1,186,089 times
Quote:
It not an issue of comparatively. I sweat my ass off every day, even inside an air conditioned building. I actually do work.
Yeah, doing taxes really drains you, physically.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:31 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Quote:
I've never employed my brain in a strenuous process because THINKING comes easily. I always did very well in school, without even having to study. I read extensively. I enjoy word puzzles, and figuring out my grocery bill in my head. My brain is very active, but it isn't "work" when I use it--because it's second nature for me to do so, not "work". Whereas when I'm picking up a 205-pound pressure washer to put it on the shelf, that's work.
So, you're a person who never had to employ your brain in a strenuous process because THINKING comes easily?

I'm curious, what's the most complex thinking that you've ever done? When was the last time you actually stretched your mind by doing something that you had not done before? When you learned something new or delved deeply into an unfamiliar subject or developed a new mental skill?

And just what is on your reading list? I find it astonishing that a well-read person such as yourself would claim ignorance of Nazi Germany and mistakenly state that the American Work Ethic is "Work makes you free".

Quote:
I noticed that when you quoted all those sentences, you did not bother to also quote the posts I might have been responding to, removing all context from the content.
Actually, that was you responding to Jtur88 (post 141 of this thread). Remember your response?

Quote:
^Odd, the words go together in perfectly logical sentences. Do you have a problem with reading comprehension? You must have gone to a public school.
Aside from your childish mocking of JTur88, you claimed that they were perfectly logical sentences. I merely pointed out that they had NOTHING to do with your original argument.

Quote:
Shall I make one LONG post summarizing everything I had been saying in a terse, concise fashion? I didn't see a need to "waste words".
Why yes, I would very much appreciate that. I would be grateful to see a such a post. Although, I believe you meant to say "a LONG post detailing everything that you had been saying in a terse, concise fashion". After all, summaries are terse and concise, not long.

Quote:
Why do so when I can make my points in as few words as possible?
Actually, you haven't made your point. So far you've merely reworded your point, posted non sequitors, ignored direct counter arguments, claimed ignorance of world history and demonstrated ignorance of American history.

So yes, please make a long post detailing a proof that "Work makes you free".

But most importantly, be certain in that post to refute my counter-argument that the concept of "Arbeit macht frei" didn't free the slaves in America, the concentration camp prisoners in Nazi Germany, nor the workers in Communist countries despite the incredible amount of work these people performed for their masters and overlords.

Otherwise, you've still lost the debate.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
Yeah, doing taxes really drains you, physically.
That's a secondary job, and it's rather simple. So simple that I don't understand why we have ANY clients because people should be intelligent enough to do them themselves.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
So, you're a person who never had to employ your brain in a strenuous process because THINKING comes easily?

I'm curious, what's the most complex thinking that you've ever done? When was the last time you actually stretched your mind by doing something that you had not done before? When you learned something new or delved deeply into an unfamiliar subject or developed a new mental skill?

And just what is on your reading list? I find it astonishing that a well-read person such as yourself would claim ignorance of Nazi Germany and mistakenly state that the American Work Ethic is "Work makes you free".

Actually, that was you responding to Jtur88 (post 141 of this thread). Remember your response?

Aside from your childish mocking of JTur88, you claimed that they were perfectly logical sentences. I merely pointed out that they had NOTHING to do with your original argument.

Why yes, I would very much appreciate that. I would be grateful to see a such a post. Although, I believe you meant to say "a LONG post detailing everything that you had been saying in a terse, concise fashion". After all, summaries are terse and concise, not long.

Actually, you haven't made your point. So far you've merely reworded your point, posted non sequitors, ignored direct counter arguments, claimed ignorance of world history and demonstrated ignorance of American history.

So yes, please make a long post detailing a proof that "Work makes you free".

But most importantly, be certain in that post to refute my counter-argument that the concept of "Arbeit macht frei" didn't free the slaves in America, the concentration camp prisoners in Nazi Germany, nor the workers in Communist countries despite the incredible amount of work these people performed for their masters and overlords.

Otherwise, you've still lost the debate.
The American work ethic valued hard work. That is fact. Now, draw conclusions using inference. One could INFER that the reason they valued work is because it gave them financial freedom. The American spirit IS independent, self-reliant, and self-determining. Hence, hard work gave you freedom by fulfilling your most basic needs.

Can you stretch your head around that?

Old 09-04-2009, 04:57 PM

Sorry for the long post above. I realize it's a lot to read, I mean, gloss over.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:26 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Sorry for the long post above. I realize it's a lot to read, I mean, gloss over.
You know, your philosophies remind me a bit of those of Pol Pot. He believed strongly in hard manual labor as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates