Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2009, 02:11 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I don't believe the Amish subscribe to the idea of killing their elderly when they are to old to work... those same elderly who busted THEIR asses to feed and cloth you when you were too young to do it for yourself.
Obviously, you don't know my childhood living situation, and how many nights I didn't get to eat. Because the people who were supposed to take care of me? Didn't. In fact, they did what they could to make my life a living hell. Used to beat me until I fought back. That's why I value independence and self-reliance--because you can't depend on others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Isn't all of this a waste of your time? Wouldn't the time you spend piddling around with these things be time better spent out digging ditches, busting rocks, or some other worthwhile labor? You may be a Mozart, but in your world Mozart is of no worth. Why squander your time trying to be Mozart when you could be pursuing self-imposed slavery ?
I'd be willing to hang around my job and work for free--there's a lot that could be done that doesn't get accomplished in an 8 hour day. But they tell me there's a law against that. Stupid laws.

Self-imposed slavery? If I'm pursuing what I LIKE to do, and it's something that's beneficial to me, how is that "slavery"? It's not "slavery" if you choose to do it, slavery cannot be self-imposed.

The wages I earn provide me with freedom--as long as I keep earning them. Those who are not productively working steal from their employers. Stealing is something I frown upon...as it comes from a sense of greed or entitlement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Good for you, TKramar!

You believe that some people deserve the fates that they receive, even if that fate is slavery or unjust imprisonment or extermination.

You live in a society that provides for your employment, for your comforts and for your freedoms, yet you yearn for indepence from that society. In fact, in your own words you want independence from all forms of government. Apparently you simply lack the balls to move to Somalia, a place that fits your definition of paradise.

You style yourself an intellectual, yet you dismiss the pivotal history of the middle of the Twentieth century because "war doesn't interest you", even though that time period involved a lot more than just "war". Nice way to dismiss Santayana.

You scored in the undefined "top percentile on tests like the ACT or SAT. Big deal. When I took the SATs, I scored in the top 95 percentile -- see how useless a yardstick that is? Oh, wait, you probably don't.

TKramar, here's a cookie and a pat on the head, have a nice day!
Why should I move from the place of my birth? It's perfectly suitable. I don't believe there's ever a reasonable excuse for leaving your own territory.

As far as the history goes, there's a LOT more that happened in the twentieth century than war. In fact, there's a lot more that happened throughout history than just war--which is something initiated by stupid men. You scored in the top 95th percentile--this indicates that you have some intelligence...but I scored higher than you. Probably the whole eidetic memory thing.

Finally, there's something to be said for being the master of your own fate...instead of blaming everyone else for your own shortcomings. You don't like your situation? Change it.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:29 PM

604 posts, read 1,186,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Why should I move from the place of my birth? It's perfectly suitable. I don't believe there's ever a reasonable excuse for leaving your own territory.

As far as the history goes, there's a LOT more that happened in the twentieth century than war. In fact, there's a lot more that happened throughout history than just war--which is something initiated by stupid men. You scored in the top 95th percentile--this indicates that you have some intelligence...but I scored higher than you. Probably the whole eidetic memory thing.

Finally, there's something to be said for being the master of your own fate...instead of blaming everyone else for your own shortcomings. You don't like your situation? Change it.
Change it? Really? How? There's no reasonable excuse to leave, remember? And superiority is defined by a physically demanding vocation, so what does a 95th percentile have to do with anything? I say that's a waste. I didn't go to college to work just as hard as anyone else who didn't. I didn't get those degrees to sweat 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, for the same pay as someone who DOES not have the degree.
NO.
I fully expect to get paid more and do less.
And I feel real good about it.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:13 AM

You can stand up for your rights at any time. Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees. At least you died free.

I don't know what to tell you about the other thing--working is all about the physical. Work, in fact, is defined as the application of force over distance.

If you try to pick up something weighing 600 pounds, and cannot do so--then you did NO work. If you held something weighing that much off the ground for 15 minutes--you did no work. If you managed to move it one inch, you did 50 foot pounds of work--the same amount of work as someone who picked up a 25 pound weight and lifted it two feet in the air.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:27 AM

315 posts, read 776,504 times
All of what we are facing as a nation will shed new light on the many farces in our society. Many of which were sold to us as being the norm, or necessity to survive. The over rated college degree and bogus educational system we have created is one. We will begin to circulate back towards learning trades and skills that people actually need to thrive in their day to day lives. That is where I believe all of this is heading. A simpler way of life, chalk full of daily struggles of survival will lead the way.

As for jobs, we have developed a society that now looks for a large "god like" governmental figure to snap their fingers and make some more, for us snobby types to ponder over. Give us more jobs we all cry, where are the jobs we ask. Make some more for us please, we demand. Those days are gone, as by this time next year, the Federal government will begin its path to bankruptcy.

We do indeed live in interesting times my friends and if you think its interesting now, give it another 18-24 months.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:20 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamHarman View Post
All of what we are facing as a nation will shed new light on the many farces in our society. .
What farces in our society? There are so few farces in our society, that the Comedy Central Channel has to run repeats, because our society is not feeding them enough farce to keep them going with 24 hours a day of fresh material.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:22 AM

Government is a farce. Laws are a farce.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:28 AM

315 posts, read 776,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What farces in our society? There are so few farces in our society, that the Comedy Central Channel has to run repeats, because our society is not feeding them enough farce to keep them going with 24 hours a day of fresh material.
The farce that the Federal Government is the answer to everything

The farce that our educational system in America actually produces a quality product

The farce throwing more federal money at any problem will fix it.

The farce that our judicial system is fair

The farce that per our constitution, we rehabilitate criminals. (we house them in warehouses, then release them damned for life)

The farce that one man (Obama) can save an entire country from themselves

The farce that certain class of citizens are better then others

The farce that we have racial equality and equal rights for all

The farce that most of our elected officials are not crooks and hypocrites.

I'm bored, but can go on for a few more centuries if needed.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamHarman View Post

The farce that most of our elected officials are not crooks and hypocrites.

I'm bored, but can go on for a few more centuries if needed.
Does ANYONE actually believe this? Does anyone still think politicians are looking out for anyone's interests but their own--which means looking out for the special interests that ensure their political survival?

Old 09-08-2009, 06:40 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Does ANYONE actually believe this? Does anyone still think politicians are looking out for anyone's interests but their own--which means looking out for the special interests that ensure their political survival?

.................................................. ..................................................

I believe we have some men and women in office that are honest and do their best. The word "crook" is thrown around very loosely by some to describe an entire class of people. "Crook" to me has a very specific meaning. Ordinarily, it means that someone is dishonest and stealing money or property that does not belong to them. These are allegations which are not true of many, if not most public officials.

People can blame politiicans for the mess America has gotten into. I blame the voting public as much as anyone. Here's why:

1. The majority of people stood by twiddling their thumbs while George W. Bush started a wer in Iraq that was completely unnecessary. We than allowed this clown to squander $750 billion and over 4,000 American lives over this idiocy.

2. If you ever took out a "stated income" loan a few years back when you could do so, you should have been able to see the potential for fraud that existed. These were "liar's loans" and all of us should have banded together to prohibit their use. This did much to lay the groundwork for destroying the financial system. Millions of people took these out to buy homes or refinance.

3. Many people claim to be "pro-environment", but when push comes to shove the economy always comes first. We have rejected attempts to do anything serious about global warming even though its radically changing this planet. Politicians take their cues from us since we can vote them out of office. I predict "Cap and trade" is going to fail.

4. The general level of ignorance among the voting public is simply appalling. Before formal education became widespread this may have been tolerable. There is simply no excuse for the millions of people who can't identify the three branches of government and describe their functions at least to a minimal extent. Dumb people are unlikely to elect Smart leaders. Its part of the reason to me that a dunderhead like Sarah Palin who took four colleges and eight years to earn a BS Degree in Journalism is widely popular among some.

Those who want to blame politicians for the mess we are in can do so. I suggest they go look in a mirror first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates