Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 05:21 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Unfortunately, politics is not theater, and that's why we should take it seriously. Decisions made by politicians affect your life, and no matter how much of a theater buff you may be, you can't say the same thing about a movie or a show.
This is exactly right. We can laugh at our politicians all we want, but stupid decisions or decisions intentionally made that hurt us eventually leave us screwed over. Special interests are using the system to benefit themselves. The laughter is from the politicians and special interests laughing at us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 08:41 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Have you noticed that Rush Limbaugh is now the spokesman and spiritual leader for the moderate wing of the Republican Party?

Old 09-03-2009, 08:50 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Have you noticed that Rush Limbaugh is now the spokesman and spiritual leader for the moderate wing of the Republican Party?
No, as a matter of fact, I haven't.

But then again, apparently unlike you, I don't pay any attention to Limbaugh.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:21 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
The laughter is from the politicians and special interests laughing at us.
They'd be doing a little less laughing if more people got up off their butts and voted on Election Day. Listening to talking heads on television oohing and aahing about a Presidential election with 6 million votes for this candidate and 5-1/2 million for that one makes me sick to my stomach. Eleven million votes cast in a country of more than 260 million? There are an awful lot of people complaining about things who don't have any right to be doing that.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:27 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I've posted here many times in regard to my view that American politics have slid into the realm of theatre, and quite possibly, it is only those unworthy thespians in DC that benefit from the charade. After all the mudslinging dies down we are still unable to agree on much. Should we take politics seriously, in light of the last few decades of political bungling from both parties?
One of the things that I find disturbing is the attempt to distance oneself from DC. It is a ploy that is used to drum up support for an election. This isn't new and theatrics aren't new. Media is not new. This is something many kids first encounter in elementary school and, unless one did not graduate from 4th grade, we have had this material. Therefore, we have all had the same material that says when the bs starts and ends.

However, there are several times that we have an issue come up on the board and I pose the question, "How do you change it?"

The answer that I am looking for is often a basic one, how does something become a law? What authority does an elected official of a specific office have? It is never answered.

Because people can't be bothered. People would rather cry. People have let someone else sit on the tv and ask the wrong questions rather then drumming up the right ones. I don't think that DC is a world away, I think people have distanced themselves from some of the basics and in doing so they can discuss it in terms that they don't have to accept responsibility.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
They'd be doing a little less laughing if more people got up off their butts and voted on Election Day. Listening to talking heads on television oohing and aahing about a Presidential election with 6 million votes for this candidate and 5-1/2 million for that one makes me sick to my stomach. Eleven million votes cast in a country of more than 260 million? There are an awful lot of people complaining about things who don't have any right to be doing that.
Election day is way, waaaay too late for people to get off their butts and vote. The last three times I considered voting, I discovered that in my congressional district, it was a one-man race, with no opposition to the incumbent. Only one name on the ballot. (In every election, more than 10% of all Americans are disenfranchised by this practice. Including, in '08, the entire state of Arkansas.) As for president, what would have been the point of me voting in the '08 election? In Texas, if the race were close enough that either party needed my vote, every other state would have already been a Dem landslide, so what would have been the point of me voting?

In a year or so, the national media will start prepping their camera-ready contenders for the '12 election. In the ensuing year or two, the same media will swift-boat the ones they are no longer enamored with. We'll then be left with the two who are least likely to rock the boat, and the swing states will set out to rig their elections. What do the voters have to do with it?

Last edited by jtur88; 09-03-2009 at 09:47 AM..

Old 09-03-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
No, as a matter of fact, I haven't.

But then again, apparently unlike you, I don't pay any attention to Limbaugh.
Maybe that's why you have no idea what is going on in the world. You only pay attention to people who tell you what you want to hear.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:53 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
One of the things that I find disturbing is the attempt to distance oneself from DC. It is a ploy that is used to drum up support for an election. This isn't new and theatrics aren't new. Media is not new. This is something many kids first encounter in elementary school and, unless one did not graduate from 4th grade, we have had this material. Therefore, we have all had the same material that says when the bs starts and ends.

However, there are several times that we have an issue come up on the board and I pose the question, "How do you change it?"

The answer that I am looking for is often a basic one, how does something become a law? What authority does an elected official of a specific office have? It is never answered.

Because people can't be bothered. People would rather cry. People have let someone else sit on the tv and ask the wrong questions rather then drumming up the right ones. I don't think that DC is a world away, I think people have distanced themselves from some of the basics and in doing so they can discuss it in terms that they don't have to accept responsibility.
"People can't be bothered", this reminds me of the times I have read of someones suspicions that those in the Nazi camps didn't really try hard enough to overwhelm their captors and seek their freedom. I guess they weren't taking personal responsibility for their diminished position.

Some folk's are always going to see the American political construct as the ostensible participant democracy the school texts have portrayed it to be, and some will see the futility in making any attempt to address their concerns in light of the fact that money talks, and, talks loudest.

DC is indeed a world away for most of us, the obvious charade of legislation creation in the interests of the masses brings me to my conclusion that most of the political dancing in Washington is for the benefit of those who really pay the way for our elected leaders.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:33 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
I've posted here many times in regard to my view that American politics have slid into the realm of theatre, and quite possibly, it is only those unworthy thespians in DC that benefit from the charade. After all the mudslinging dies down we are still unable to agree on much. Should we take politics seriously, in light of the last few decades of political bungling from both parties?
I believe the "theatrical" angle in politics is no different than any other business or dealings in life. Many people do play that game for a wide variety of reasons to get the attention they want.

When people say that politicians today are this or that way in my opinion is incorrect. I have looked at past political figures, newpapers, historical cartoons, etc. and they are pretty much the same you see today and the same when people talk about them in yesteryears and today. We tend to idialize the past but looking closely, people are the same i.e. we have distrustful people, conspiracies theorists, disgruntled citizes, etc. Many of these people tend to be the leaders in convicing people politicians are so bad. Do not take me wrong and that exists but the bottom line is that I do not think it is any different today than before.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 09-03-2009, 01:03 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
"People can't be bothered", this reminds me of the times I have read of someones suspicions that those in the Nazi camps didn't really try hard enough to overwhelm their captors and seek their freedom. I guess they weren't taking personal responsibility for their diminished position.

Some folk's are always going to see the American political construct as the ostensible participant democracy the school texts have portrayed it to be, and some will see the futility in making any attempt to address their concerns in light of the fact that money talks, and, talks loudest.

DC is indeed a world away for most of us, the obvious charade of legislation creation in the interests of the masses brings me to my conclusion that most of the political dancing in Washington is for the benefit of those who really pay the way for our elected leaders.

Even closer to home, one's individual vote doesn't matter, and the outcome is generally predecided. There are no surprises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates