Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 08:53 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,688,533 times

Advertisements

I've posted here many times in regard to my view that American politics have slid into the realm of theatre, and quite possibly, it is only those unworthy thespians in DC that benefit from the charade. After all the mudslinging dies down we are still unable to agree on much. Should we take politics seriously, in light of the last few decades of political bungling from both parties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 09:01 PM

25,945 posts, read 18,937,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Should we take politics seriously, in light of the last few decades of political bungling from both parties?
I'd say no (unless our freedom is completely snatched away). Still, it's hard to ignore. My main fear is that it is going to 'ignite' at some point and our lives are going to be turned upside down. I hope not, but who knows?

If any of you have seen Idiocracy, that's what the current state of politics reminds me of. Actually, not just politics, but the whole ball of wax. Mike Judge seems to have been pretty prophetic with this film.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:06 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,610,197 times
People should judge them on what they do rather than what they say. Alas, few do.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:08 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,705,964 times
I see no reason to take politicians seriously.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:41 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,641,563 times
Quote:
I've posted here many times in regard to my view that American politics have slid into the realm of theatre, and quite possibly, it is only those unworthy thespians in DC that benefit from the charade. After all the mudslinging dies down we are still unable to agree on much. Should we take politics seriously, in light of the last few decades of political bungling from both parties?
Unfortunately, politics is not theater, and that's why we should take it seriously. Decisions made by politicians affect your life, and no matter how much of a theater buff you may be, you can't say the same thing about a movie or a show.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:51 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,688,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Unfortunately, politics is not theater, and that's why we should take it seriously. Decisions made by politicians affect your life, and no matter how much of a theater buff you may be, you can't say the same thing about a movie or a show.
I was reffering to the theatrical nature of politics, the fact of the very real harm or good caused by the political dynamic in no way diminishes my view that politicians are simply actors, it begs the question of who writes the script.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:01 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,424,364 times
Here in lies the problem with our 24/7 on all the time society. Politicians have to be actors now, and win a popularity contest.

Its got little to do with the issues anymore. People who complain about politics never sit down and watch C-Span, because this is boring. However, its the real face of the American political system.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:06 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,710,953 times
Quote:
This is not something that has recently happened. It has always been that way. The opposing political parties are not opponents. And, for the most part, they never have been. They're just two sides of the same coin.

The problem is that politics is all very self serving, and the populace is always left to clean up the mess and pay for it.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:36 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,610,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Here in lies the problem with our 24/7 on all the time society. Politicians have to be actors now, and win a popularity contest.

Its got little to do with the issues anymore. People who complain about politics never sit down and watch C-Span, because this is boring. However, its the real face of the American political system.
exactly.
like i said: follow what people do. listen to the speeches for general intent, but more often than not, the devil is in the details.
things like competence and ethics count as well.
fundamental issues are rarely tackled as often as narrow, controversial ones, because that's what gets peoples' blood boiling.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,964,372 times
Much of the politcal process is threatre in reality. Its the difference between rethoric and results. Otherwise we would never pick anyone other than esperienced leaders that have proven themselves.We do not ask for the details. We buy the soap often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates