Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 12:22 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Your call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 02:22 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Someone once said, if you want to make a career of telling lies, go into politics or advertising. For my money I'd say advertising has been more of a burden than a blessing. We are overwhelmed with pharmaceutical ads from a corrupt industry with political ties so it doesn't surprise me these two go hand in hand with making a career of lies. We have people believing they need to be on one med or another for any list of ailments. If aliens in space were to watch TV commercials in order to gain a better understanding of life on earth, they'd blow this planet up thinking we were all a bunch of materialistic, superficial, diseased, insecure, irresponsible, and overweight beings who can't possibly think for themselves.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:43 PM

How is it possible that everybody knows that advertising is all lies, but it still works?

It is likely that there is an independent burger stand somewhere within your circle of daily activity. So why do you keep going to McDonalds? Why do you believe that one brand of gas is better for your car than another?

Old 09-18-2009, 05:23 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Someone once said, if you want to make a career of telling lies, go into politics or advertising. For my money I'd say advertising has been more of a burden than a blessing. We are overwhelmed with pharmaceutical ads from a corrupt industry with political ties so it doesn't surprise me these two go hand in hand with making a career of lies. We have people believing they need to be on one med or another for any list of ailments. If aliens in space were to watch TV commercials in order to gain a better understanding of life on earth, they'd blow this planet up thinking we were all a bunch of materialistic, superficial, diseased, insecure, irresponsible, and overweight beings who can't possibly think for themselves.
The most tried and true Marketing Slogan : " If you say something long enough, loud enough , and often enough...people will believe it" .

Old 09-18-2009, 07:05 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,040,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It is likely that there is an independent burger stand somewhere within your circle of daily activity. So why do you keep going to McDonalds?

This reminds me of a restaurant in California that I use to visit that served breakfast and lunch. It was a SMALL little place (about 8 tables) that made gourmet quality food for a few dollars more then what you would pay at a fast food joint. OH GOD, THAT PLACE WAS SO GOOD! Her food was so good that every time I was done I would yell at her from the register and thank her profusely for making such good food!

Well, even though she had a steady stream of patrons she had to shut her business down after about 2 decades or so of business. She said there was a large drop in customers when the economy showed up on everybody's radar all while the burger king and the subway across from her store still had people waiting in line to eat there NASTY, microwaved food.

Anyhow, and my point is, today people don't know QUALITY anymore, all people think is price. They blitz us with these commercials about "cheap price, cheep price" but what they don't tell you is that part of the reason they can sell you something for so cheep is because they have skipped out on quality.

No thanks, I rather pay the extra money and get solid wood furniture that will last, or REAL food that hasn't been irradiated and pumped up with chemicals so I won't have any health problems later on in my life.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Basaically the people didn't agree with you as to value when they had to make a choice . Remember that quailty depends on people think the quality for the price.If it wqas so good they couldn't pass it up then she would still have those customers.Food is very subjective.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why do you believe that one brand of gas is better for your car than another?

Certain brands of gas are better over the long haul due to the combination of additives they put in which in turn decreases the amount of deposits. You still should use STP gas treatment periodically (white can).

I know this because I was told this personally by a man who owns a injector rebuilding shop in Whitter, Ca. He is known for rebuilding injectors around the globe really, and he has been doing this for decades.

I only know the California market well and in that market you want to stay with Shell, or 76 gas vs using the Arco or Valerao gas line.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Basaically the people didn't agree with you as to value when they had to make a choice . Remember that quailty depends on people think the quality for the price.If it wqas so good they couldn't pass it up then she would still have those customers.Food is very subjective.

I THINK I understand your point but I'm not sure you can use that argument texdav. She was in business for over 2 decades so clearly she demonstrated that she had the ability to run a restaurant. The first 5 years in business, most owners fold.

So the problem is not with her, or her prices, but with the rise of these corporate giants that are sweeping across the U.S shutting down family owned businesses. Like many other business owners, she had to close her doors because she could no longer compete. I do believe that Wall Street helped de-industrialized the US and cause many small businesses to go under but that's another topic.

Anyhow, our dialogue reminds me of my cross country trip (COAST to COAST) and how every rest stop had a Dennys and a McDonald's; NOTHING else.

Noam Chomsky: The goal for the corporations is to maximise profit and market share. And they also have a goal for their target, namely the population. They have to be turned into completely mindless consumers of goods that they do not want. You have to develop what are called "Creative Wants". So you have to create wants. You have to impose on people what's called a Philosophy of Futility. You have to focus them on the insignificant things of life, like fashionable consumption. I'm just basically quoting business literature. And it makes perfect sense. The ideal is to have individuals who are totally disassociated from one another. Whose conception of themselves, the sense of value is just, "how many created wants can I satisfy?" We have huge industries, public relations industry, monstrous industry, advertising and so on, which are designed from infancy to mold people into this desired pattern.

The Corporation

Last edited by Morphous01; 09-18-2009 at 08:47 PM..

Old 09-18-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Certain brands of gas are better over the long haul due to the combination of additives they put in which in turn decreases the amount of deposits. You still should use STP gas treatment periodically (white can).

I know this because I was told this personally by a man who owns a injector rebuilding shop in Whitter, Ca. He is known for rebuilding injectors around the globe really, and he has been doing this for decades.

I only know the California market well and in that market you want to stay with Shell, or 76 gas vs using the Arco or Valerao gas line.
So, you can tell from the TV ads which gas is better? That was my point.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:24 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
I think in some ways advertising has become a lot more boring over time. "Market research" since the 1950's has aimed to find the most effective advertising tactics from a monetary point of view, and companies capable of doing large ad purchases are reluctant to stray from the usual wisdom.

I mean, there used to be actual salesmen (the original "hucksters") shouting about the benefits of their tonics or shoeshines on mini-grandstands on busy streetcorners in major American cities, sometimes close enough to other hucksters to get into shouting matches that may or may not have been staged. Now THAT was advertising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates