Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 08:29 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times

Advertisements

I believe we all have prejudices for or against areas of life which people mistake as racism when it applies to their race. I have a prejudice against criminals, stupid people, extreme liberalism views, welfare or tax cheats or people who want to restrict my pursuit of happiness.

Where do you draw the line between prejudice & racism ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 09:14 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
I think you are asking for an argument over semantics. Prejudice is just as bad as racism. The only difference is prejudice involves irrational beliefs, preconceptions, and biases, toward people or things based on emotions, racism is the same thing limited to racial groups.

You will probably get people chiming in saying they are prejudiced against a certain race (which they will say is normal) but since they don't act on those beliefs (which is impossible) they are not a racist.
You cant have a prejudice against,criminals, stupid people, extreme liberalism views, welfare or tax cheats or people who want to restrict your pursuit of happiness, because there is no societal expectation that you like or even tolerate bad or dangerous people unless you are a clergyman .

Practically every religion or culture has a belief encouraging us to not to judge one another irrationally; Do unto others.......Don't Judge a man until you have walk a mile in his........Love thy neighbor...... you are your brothers keeper, etc.

The line I draw is to accept or not to accept that I am imperfect.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:14 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I believe we all have prejudices for or against areas of life which people mistake as racism when it applies to their race. I have a prejudice against criminals, stupid people, extreme liberalism views, welfare or tax cheats or people who want to restrict my pursuit of happiness.

I have a prejudice against arbitrary imprisonment of non violent offenders, people who think the stupid are there only to be ripped off, extreme conservativism views, people who think the unlucky ought to get no help at all, and those who think taxation is theft, or people who want to restrict the pursuit of happiness by those who find their happiness in different ways than themselves.

I draw the line between me and you.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:30 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,956 times
Default The question answers itself

Quote:

You don't-Racism is the american mental illness,it prevades all forms of bigotry in
US ,is transmitted from person to person and inherited by children as sure as eye color.
And thats the good part.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:59 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Selective trust is essential to human society. You cannot get along in human society if you trust no-one, nor if you trust everyone. Human civilization depends on being able to judge whom to trust and how far to trust them, and we have evolved very intricate mechanisms that enable us to improve that capacity. It is wired into us.

We depend on our ability to trust or not trust a person at a glance, and we are where we are in civilization because what we do to evaluate trustworthiness more often succeeds than fails. In other words, it works.

There are many, many cues that we use to detect trust. They range from completely unconscious to very conspicuous. Racism is a conspicuous one. But it exists for a reason, and has survival value.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:05 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:

More like the fine line between Racism and Ethnocentricity, a very natural inclination to be with your own ***kind*** because you are more comfortable or relaxed among them. I assume that Racism would have to be a belief that ones own Race is Superior to others.
Prejudice is more a legal term which defines exclusion of those of a particular group.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:07 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I think you are asking for an argument over semantics. Prejudice is just as bad as racism.
I don't think so.

If I can use an analogy, prejudice is a misdemeanor while racism is a felony. From my viewpoint, being prejudice is an inactive affair, while being a racist requires some degree of acting upon that prejudice. You may not like the idea of Asians (looking for something outside of the black/white paradigm) moving into your neighborhood, that is prejudice. Circulating a petition to keep them from moving in is racism, if you get where I'm going.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:13 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,311 times
Racism is prejudice against someones race. Racism=Prejudice.

Does it matter if you are prejudiced against someones race, their sexual orientation, or culture? No, they are all equally bad.

Bigots don't hold a higher moral ground than racists.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:18 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I don't think so.

If I can use an analogy, prejudice is a misdemeanor while racism is a felony. From my viewpoint, being prejudice is an inactive affair, while being a racist requires some degree of acting upon that prejudice. You may not like the idea of Asians (looking for something outside of the black/white paradigm) moving into your neighborhood, that is prejudice. Circulating a petition to keep them from moving in is racism, if you get where I'm going.
I do believe there is a difference.

I may be prejudiced against smokers or any other group I find offensive or have beliefs I find extreme. Do I prevent them from believing, no but I may be prejudiced not to want to associate with them or their cause. Certain discrimination is perfectly legal & accepted.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:18 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I don't think so.

No excluding them is exercising a prejudice.
Racism is the justification
we're in to semantics here
There is no law against Racism, there are laws against Prejudice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates