Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 10:30 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,910,431 times

Advertisements

There is a newish study that says 75% of white people and 2/3 of blsck people only have friends of their same "race." But black people tend to have more variety in terms of friend circles, if they have a mixed friend group.
Three quarters of whites don’t have any non-white friends - The Washington Post

This is something i don't relate to, as i have always had a mix of friedns. Why is it so hard for people to find common ground with people outside of their ethnic group in this day and age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 11:34 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,903,112 times
No surprise there, really. However I do find it sad that even in this day and age, as multi-cultural as this country has become, even in the large coastal cities like LA and NYC, most people's friend circles are incredibly homogenous.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:55 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,293,900 times
Hum..looks like these numbers were based on asking people to name up to 7 people with whom they regularly discussed maters. Looks like most people in the survey named less than 7 people. The median number of friends and family cited was 3 people. Among the 3rd person, 65% of respondents cited family members as their close contract.

Conceivably, the researchers tossed out family members and just focused on friends. The basic take away, the headline figures are extrapolations based on very, very thin survey data.

Nonetheless, the basic conclusions seem logical:
1) most people have friends of their own ethnic group.
2) minorities probably have slightly more integrated social networks since by definition there are fewer minorities than white people.

But, we probably should look for more research before quoting the specific numbers as gospel.

(see page 20 of the PDF for the survey results).
http://publicreligion.org/site/wp-co...line-FINAL.pdf

Last edited by jpdivola; 08-27-2014 at 12:31 AM..

Old 08-27-2014, 12:15 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,910,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post

It wouldn't surprise me at all if a 50 year old in suburban Iowa or small town Ohio has all white friends. However, I would be surprised if a 30 yr old white person in DC or SF did.
Have you been to SF lately? Not anymore. It is pretty racially segregated these days.

One of my asian friends chimed in (i posted this on facebook) that most of her asian friends only know asians. Come to think of it, i don't know her asian friends. Only the white and latin ones.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:20 AM

5,443 posts, read 4,684,447 times
I guess it is easier to relate to people of one's ethnic group. This seems to be the case with immigrants and first generation folks. With me besides my best friend since grade school, none are from my ethnic background. I don't make friends based on Eunice origins, but character and personality. Just because one is from same ethnicity does not mean they make a good friend or romantic partner. I find it sad if you limit yourself by dismissing people outside your ethnic group, though nothing wrong with same ethnic buddies.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:24 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,291,702 times
Why is it so hard to accept that those studies are only a small portion of the entire planet and different people have different friends because it is their choice either on purpose, by area, by religion, by common denominators, by interests, or by culture.

Sometimes it actually has to do with the fact that there are not many of a different race or ethnicity in the small town one lives in.
There are maybe one family of 4 blacks in our community then out of the rest of the community at least 90% are Hispanic families and the rest are white or Chinese.
The other smaller towns around us are much the same but getting into the bigger cities 25+ miles away there is a mixture of all I mentioned in addition to Swedish, Vietnamese, Japanese, Cuban, Jamaican and those from Ecuador.

It is not healthy to focus so much attention to misrepresented studies, the color of someone's skin or their ethnicity.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:31 AM

It was be interesting to see the breakdown by age and geographic region.

I would imagine younger people are more likely to have more integrated social networks.
I would also imagine that people in bigger more diverse MSAs have more integrated social networks than people in smaller, less diverse areas.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if a 50 year old in suburban Iowa or small town Ohio has all white friends. However, I would be surprised if a 30 yr old white person in DC or SF did.

That being said, there is still a lot less mixing between young Blacks and Whites than say young Asians and Whites who have high integration rates (given, or maybe because of, the relatively small size of the Asian population). I'm guessing it is mostly a function of education/income and tastes.

Go out in DC on the weekend. The city basically has two types of venues: 95%+ AA nightlife spots (both upscale and average) and "white yuppie" spots that are 75-80% yuppie white/10% yuppie black/10-15% yuppie Asian/Latino/ME. There are also a small number of Spanish-dominate clubs for the Salvadorian immigrant population.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:45 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,006,314 times
It isn't all that homogenous here in Las Vegas. Since so many of us work at the resorts (which are the model for diversity), we tend to get thrown together and mixed up in a slightly more efficient way than I have seen elsewhere.

I don't like living in Las Vegas for a lot of reasons. But ethnic relations is one thing this city actually does pretty well. It's not "break out the guitar and sing Kumbaya" yet. But this city is better than most places I've lived.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
I guess it is easier to relate to people of one's ethnic group. This seems to be the case with immigrants and first generation folks. .

I think your point about immigration is key. According to the Census Bureau, 79% of naturalized citizens and 89% of non-citizens spoke a language other than English at home. Given, that Asian and Hispanic communities are so heavily dominated by immigration, 76.7% of Asians and 74.7% of Hispanics spoke a language other than English at home. A little under half (45-47%)of both groups also reported speaking English less than "very well".

Given, these statistics it wouldn't be surprising if most Asians and Hispanics (which are heavily immigrant dominated) mostly associate with their own ethnic groups. However, it will be interesting to see the social networks of 1.5, 2nd and 3rd generation English-dominate, culturally assimilated Asians and Hispanics. Anecdotally, they seem vastly more socially integrated.

See page 9
https://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/acs-22.pdf

Old 08-27-2014, 01:46 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,556,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There is a newish study that says 75% of white people and 2/3 of blsck people only have friends of their same "race." But black people tend to have more variety in terms of friend circles, if they have a mixed friend group.
Three quarters of whites don’t have any non-white friends - The Washington Post

This is something i don't relate to, as i have always had a mix of friedns. Why is it so hard for people to find common ground with people outside of their ethnic group in this day and age?
We're human. We gravitate towards what is familiar. Nothing wrong with that. But I've known a few white folks who make it hard for non whites to get close to them. So they get to own some of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates