Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 01:16 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times

Advertisements

Okay this is just a debate on who likes what area, and why; I made the BIG mistake of relocating to a place sight unseen, assuming it was relatively normal.

I don't want this to be just Yankee vs. Confederate which is why I entitled it, wherever you live. Please describe why you like or dislike certain places, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 04:48 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
I'm most comfortable staying in one place my entire life. That's one thing I didn't like about the military.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:08 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Okay this is just a debate on who likes what area, and why; I made the BIG mistake of relocating to a place sight unseen, assuming it was relatively normal.

I don't want this to be just Yankee vs. Confederate which is why I entitled it, wherever you live. Please describe why you like or dislike certain places, thanks.
Let's hear your story

Old 10-08-2009, 05:18 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,050,611 times
I spent 48 years straight living in far northern Illinois , and just this past Spring decided to move to the Florida Panhandle and semi retire . There are pros and cons to every place I believe and here is what ive surmised of my decision :

Illinois (50 miles north of Chicago) : PROS : Job opportunites much better , wages much higher, 4 distinct seasons, I lived in a big Classic Car area which is one of my favorite hobbys.
CONS: 5 solid months of Winter where youre stuck inside , dangerous driving in the winter months , much higher incidents of Road Rage, too hectic of a pace, little respect and consideration from others overall , a competitive environment ... even in the checkout lines, flatlands and cornfields everywhere, exhorbinant property taxes even in unincorporated areas, fair amount of racial prejudice , fair amount of neighbor jealousy overall.

Florida Panhandle : PROS: Slower pace of living, housing and property taxes silly cheap, higher morals and values with people overall, people hospitable and outgoing, incredible beaches closeby, lots of nature/parks/lakes/forests , excellent variety of entertainment , people not pretensious , good deal of sunshine, 40 f. average low in the winter at night, no snow/ice , many retirees in Florida, no auto emissions testing, no state income tax, no sales tax on food, money goes further here. Average of 1 major hurricane every 9 years. Northeners very welcomed. I hear General Lee was a good ol' Boy !
CONS: Suns rays very intense...even when its 70 f. outside, 3 summer months of oppresive humidity, exorbinant fee for auto title transfer and plate ($412 total) , higher car insurance rates , threat of tornadoes spawned from hurricanes due to being 30 miles inland, people in general dont keep their homes up as much as in the North, not as many good / qualified Tradesmen . Alot of people here need dental work desperately !

All said, I much prefer the deep south to the north and would not go back to the Midwest .

Last edited by RVlover; 10-08-2009 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: add

Old 10-08-2009, 07:00 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
I lived in So. Florida and loved it despite expense, etc. Where I am now, I have a nice house and property, but the area is conservative boring and a step back to the 70's...there is a lot of intolerance and ignorance (some people call Obama the anti-Christ,lol)

I am sick of it and never realized there were ignoramus' like this except when I viewed the movie "Deliverance" by John Boorman.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:30 PM

11 posts, read 18,979 times
I live in Western, OK. I HATE IT! All I can say is that when they say "the Bible Belt"...they mean it. There is alot of intolerance here because of religion.
My husband wants to move north but I really just dont want to. I cant stand snow...well, not just the snow itself but the mess it makes and the amount of time it would take just to get my kids(11 months, 2 yrs, and 4 yrs) dressed and out the door just to go somewhere!

Old 10-09-2009, 05:21 PM

137 posts, read 624,979 times
Born and raised in St. Louis. Hate it here. I've lived in Minnesota ( near Canadian border ), Montana, NW Washington State, Tennessee, and of course Missouri.
Seems to me things are so slow to change in MO it makes it stagnant. Socially, politically, culturally, ... all of the above. By far the best experience has been in MN. Its midwest enough to feel homey but politically progressive enough to attract intelligent, tolerant ppl.
The mildest climate is in Washington but so much rain and overcast, I nearly had a gun in my mouth after one year.
I'm now considering a relocation to Maine.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:29 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,848,625 times
I live in a very small town in Kansas and can not imagine living anywhere else! I don't understand people that live in the "fringe" states. Maybe because they are more population dense they think differently? Here we have elbow room, common sense prevails, common curtesy is acutally common, and we all accept and help each other.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:10 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,859,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
I live in a very small town in Kansas and can not imagine living anywhere else! I don't understand people that live in the "fringe" states. Maybe because they are more population dense they think differently? Here we have elbow room, common sense prevails, common curtesy is acutally common, and we all accept and help each other.
I guess my question would be if you'd accept and help a neighbor who was so much different than you, an immigrant with limited English, a homosexual living an alternative lifestyle, someone who doesn't go to church, or a minority? I don't believe there are places in the middle of the country which are overwhelmingly accepting of diversity in thought, race, or lifestyle. And that's why a lot of people choose NOT to live in those places. Small towns are cute and all, but I could never imagine living my life so isolated (in every sense of the word, isolated). Isolation in my opinion breeds intolerance and contempt.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:34 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,309 times
What passes for religion in the US is often what theologians call "Civic Religion",really a worship of your society and yourself as a member of that chosen band.
Hence the hyper-"patriotism"(chauvanism reallY) displayed is many/most fundamentalist sects.
They don't articulate it as such , but at some level, millions of americans belive God is an american.
Useful to elites, as any foreign military adventure has a large base of support as of necessity being Gods
work.
Also renders any statement by traditional faith leaders,such as JP II telling GWB that Iraqi war was illegal and immoral , ineffective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates