Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 12:23 PM

3 posts, read 4,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanPDC View Post
I get frustrated with the forigne workers who come here and take American jobs. Several businesses in our town hire workers from other contries here on work visas every year. While they seem to be nice people, they often can't speak very good english. This is akward and frustrating when they are put to work dealing with the public, example, working the front counter at McD's. It's annoying to have to repeat myself again and again, only to have to bring the oder back because it's still wrong, and at the same time feel bad for the person because they are struggling to understand what I'm saying. Another example, I had a part time job cleaning at a local hotel. The visa workers sucked all the hours away from people who had been working there for 5, 10, 15 years. On top of that, because of their poor english, they often did their jobs VERY poorly. In today's economy, where so many American's have lost their jobs and are fighting to put food on their tables, there is just no room for these visa workers.
That's interesting. The H-1B allows to temporarily employ foreigners in "specialty occupations" with a requirement of a bachelor's degree. I doubt that it would be possible to hire someone on H1B to do cleaning at a hotel. Illegal immigration is another subject, which doesn't belong under this topic. I think it's good that there still are possibilities for international trained professionals in our country, and the H-1B does just that. But I think illegal immigration is a much bigger problem than this. However, I also think that too many H1B spots are being taken by e.g. Indians, there should be some kind of cap for each country so that we'd get a much more versatile population of immigrated professionals.

Last edited by DrBee; 11-24-2009 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 02:41 AM

511 posts, read 2,193,489 times
I am not talking about illigal immigration at all, though what I'm thinking of must not be H1B either. These people come on temp. work visas, all 100% in line with the law. They come from South America, Asia and the Middle East usually. They get the work through a third party angency that the company hires to find out of country workers for them.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:32 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,471,999 times
As an immigrant, who comes to America to live the Amer Dream & to join the Amer nation,
I can say for sure that immigration laws are tight & getting even tighter
& that China will tank,just like Japan did in the 90s...

So,don't worry about USA,it will be #1 for...the next 100 years...

Old 11-30-2009, 11:36 PM

10 posts, read 33,634 times
As always, blame immigrants for all the problems.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:06 PM

487 posts, read 634,031 times
Its not a question of whether the U.S. benefits economically from immigration or not. There's a strong ideological motive on the left to make the country more multicultural/multiracial.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:11 PM
cnh

2 posts, read 3,910 times
Default the survival test

Could it be that America is failing the economic survival test? The main argument seems to be " I am a better programmer than the Indian that replaced me". This might not be the point at all. You very well may be by far the better programmer, but as a nation America is divided over trade policies. India and China on the other hand, have very definite nationalistic identities. . There is a bigger game than being individually the best producer , etc...It is called group survival.

The question then becomes what group are you a part of. If you define the group as the global workforce then there is no problem. That is how America has been definning itself, globally. India and China have a much narrower definition, i.e their nations. Intensity beats extensity every time.

Maybe America needs to narrow her focus and put America first. But then Americans have to be willing to pay $5 more for their shirt at Walmart and who would go for that?

Old 01-18-2010, 10:36 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,048,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBee View Post
That's interesting. The H-1B allows to temporarily employ foreigners in "specialty occupations" with a requirement of a bachelor's degree. I doubt that it would be possible to hire someone on H1B to do cleaning at a hotel. Illegal immigration is another subject, which doesn't belong under this topic. I think it's good that there still are possibilities for international trained professionals in our country, and the H-1B does just that. But I think illegal immigration is a much bigger problem than this. However, I also think that too many H1B spots are being taken by e.g. Indians, there should be some kind of cap for each country so that we'd get a much more versatile population of immigrated professionals.
If I'm a hotel owner and want somebody to do it cheaply, why can't I have the same privilege as the owner of a software company and just import cheap labor from Mexico? The software company doesn't want to pay someone $80K when he can find an immigrant willing to do it for $40K and I don't want to pay someone $10 an hour when I can find an immigrant that will do it for $5. It's only fair.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:30 PM
cnh

2 posts, read 3,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
As an immigrant, who comes to America to live the Amer Dream & to join the Amer nation,
I can say for sure that immigration laws are tight & getting even tighter
& that China will tank,just like Japan did in the 90s...

So,don't worry about USA,it will be #1 for...the next 100 years...

I am not so sure. Japan had much better relations with the West than China. Japan was not trying to be the number one super power of the world.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:09 AM

583 posts, read 1,248,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
If I'm a hotel owner and want somebody to do it cheaply, why can't I have the same privilege as the owner of a software company and just import cheap labor from Mexico? The software company doesn't want to pay someone $80K when he can find an immigrant willing to do it for $40K and I don't want to pay someone $10 an hour when I can find an immigrant that will do it for $5. It's only fair.
I agree. I hardly can see illegal immigration invasion into the low paying jobs being 'more wrong' than the H1B workers invasion into the white collar professions.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:38 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,111,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Is that really the case? I work with people from China and India that have these visas. We're all paid the same from what I understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates