Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 04:49 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,287,612 times

Advertisements

I am writing this post partly because I last night I found a fake profile of myself that has been posted on Facebook. I don't have an online profile on there, or on MySpace or any of the social networking sites. Online networking is right for a lot of people but not me. That said, I have been wondering: what do people think when they find out they can't friend me on MySpace or Facebook? Honestly, what do you think of people who shun online networking? What would you think if your younger children or grown adult children refused to establish a page? Do you think it is "un-American" in any way? Is refusing to socialize with others, valuing privacy instead, something that is unpatriotic? I have no judgement about the matter either way. I did not think it was such a big deal two and three years ago to refuse to network. Now I am not so sure.

Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 04:54 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,643,400 times
I do have a facebook... but it's to keep in touch with some people that are overseas. My profile is kept private, and I do not have a picture of anything but a plane I used to fly. People can recognize me from there.

I've never had a myspace, or friendster or anything along those lines and yes, people do think I'm anti-social or weird because of it. I'm alright with that because if people want to get to know me, I don't want them to do it over the internet.

To paraphrase my dad, '**** em'.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:59 PM

25,802 posts, read 18,848,819 times
I prefer the real world to the virtual world when I interact on that level. To me, it would be sort of like everyone walking around in the real world with masks on at all times, or like me going around in 'drag' any time I'm in public (now, that's scary!). It just isn't 'real.’ You are seeing everyone's idealized self. Hype. Not always, but often.

By the way... your experience with a fake profile is really creepy!

Last edited by ChrisC; 10-29-2009 at 05:34 PM..

Old 10-29-2009, 04:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,031,688 times
When Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone, he was quoted as having misgivings about the instrument. "I fear that people will use this device to have personal conversations, instead of for conveying important messages."

And then pretty soon there were crank phone calls, and human nature triumphed, as it always does.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:01 PM

25,802 posts, read 18,848,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone, he was quoted as having misgivings about the instrument. "I fear that people will use this device to have personal conversations, instead of for conveying important messages."
Yipes. I suppose he's now doing somersaults in his grave now!

Last edited by ChrisC; 10-29-2009 at 05:35 PM..

Old 10-29-2009, 05:04 PM

29,750 posts, read 34,422,837 times
Not having Facebook or Myspace or whatever has nothing to do with being unAmerican or unpatriotic. Maybe a little out of the loop, but it's not a big deal. I have a Facebook account, and it's been fun keeping in touch with people I haven't seen in years, but I don't look down on friends who don't do it. You can keep in touch in other ways.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:19 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,382,333 times
I am on Facebook - in the fastest growing age group joining, the over 50's. I keep in touch with family and friends and don't friend someone I don't know. Every one of my friends is someone I know in person or have known online for years (expats). My profile is only for friends, not even open to friends of friends. And I do post photos. I followed the birth of my sister's grandchild via Facebook. My nephew had his iphone and kept us all updated. Then after the baby was born he took a pic and posted it to FB.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:19 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,691,842 times
Everyone in my family has their own Facebook. It has been a fantastic way for me to re-establish contact with high school friends from 30+ years ago, college & grad school friends, as well as distant family members.

I thoroughly enjoy it.

On the other hand, anybody who doesn't feel like being on Facebook is perfectly entitled to that option too. Good for them!

Old 10-30-2009, 12:15 AM

37,149 posts, read 42,245,999 times
I have a Facebook but not too many friends. Even though I am in "the fastest growing age group" my life hasn't led to me being part of many groups (small private HS, community college, jobs with small companies, etc.) so it hasn't done for me what it has done for many folks. But since my adult children use it I will use it too.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:01 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,910,479 times
I've been on Facebook since 2004...a few months after it came out. Back then it was limited to a handful of colleges. It's funny how it exploded. I think it's great that it's more open and connects a wide variety of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates