Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 01:56 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times

Advertisements

Bear with me, and follow this through to my question.

Suppose some aliens came into your bedroom and woke you up and explained that you have been chosen as an abductee. You are going to suffer excruciating pain during the procedure, but don't worry, they will erase your memory and you won't know later on that it happened. Then they'll bring back and tuck you back in bed and you'll know nothing about it.

Would that set your mind at ease, knowing that it won't be remembered later on?

How do you know that has never happened to you?

Are you sure that, when you are under anaesthetic, you don't feel the pain on the operating table? Or do you feel the pain, and don't remember it later, and the doctors know this, but they're not telling us, because nobody would ever elect surgery if they knew that.

(Please stick to this topic, and don't wander off into other aspects of alien abductions.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 02:24 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,470 times
As far as the surgery question: it's far, far easier too simply anesthitize someone and knock them out and do the required surgery than to have them conscience and kicking and screaming in pain and then give them some sort of psychotropic drug to make them forget the whole painful ordeal. What would the point of the latter be? it would make the doc's job so much harder, operating on an awake person.
As far as the alien abduction theory. Well, hell, your question is impossible to answer. No, I don't know that it has never happened to me, since the drug would have erased my memory. But the chances are so unlikely as to be absurd. It's like the old: "Last night I dreamt I was a butterfly. How then do I know that today I'm not merely a butterfly dreaming he's a man?"
My old psych professor used to call these scenarios "mental masturbation."
A lot of fun to discuss, though.
Peace.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:35 PM

The question of my OP is the one in bold, which you did not address. Also, you mischaracterized my hypothetical anaesthetic scenario, in which the patient may be consciously aware of pain, but lacks the motor capacity to kick and scream.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:41 AM

9,930 posts, read 13,923,099 times
I don't like pain. And being incapacitated. No, it would not set my mind at ease, because how could anything, or anyone, put a padlock on my mind. And if it was a superior, or higher being, why would it need to, or want to cause me pain. Surely, they/it could find out what they wanted about me without causing me any pain. SW

Old 10-11-2009, 12:53 AM

5,193 posts, read 5,760,266 times
I'd tell them to get the h*** out of my bedroom. If they're going to take me, I want to remember (it would be an interesting experience; therefore, keep me awake [we'll chat in between my screams] - I'll deal with the pain. Besides, the body has a fail safe when it comes to levels of pain. It shuts down (one passes out) when the pain becomes too much.

How would I know that it has never happened to me - I wouldn't unless I started having flashbacks.

Now the operating table that's a different story. If the anesthesiologist has done the job correctly, the pain centers in the brain will not receive the signals from the nerves - so, technically, you don't feel the pain. I don't want to feel that pain - I'll talk to the docs when I wake up.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:48 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,414 times
Patients do feel pain even when under anesthesia. I work in a hospital where we do procedures like burning tumors and such. Even under general anesthesia sometimes the patients respond to painful stimuli. But they don't remember any of it.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:07 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Patients do feel pain even when under anesthesia. I work in a hospital where we do procedures like burning tumors and such. Even under general anesthesia sometimes the patients respond to painful stimuli. But they don't remember any of it.
I don’t remember pain, but I did remember the doctors talking, and was frustrated I couldn’t move to see what they were discussing and seeing.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
That's very interesting, I had never heard that.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:44 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Suppose some aliens came into your bedroom and woke you up and explained that you have been chosen as an abductee. You are going to suffer excruciating pain during the procedure, but don't worry, they will erase your memory and you won't know later on that it happened. Then they'll bring back and tuck you back in bed and you'll know nothing about it.

Are you sure that, when you are under anaesthetic, you don't feel the pain on the operating table? Or do you feel the pain, and don't remember it later, and the doctors know this, but they're not telling us, because nobody would ever elect surgery if they knew that.

(Please stick to this topic, and don't wander off into other aspects of alien abductions.)

Aliens have invaded my body twice and it was very painful when they departed, although I barely remembered it after the fact. I called it childbirth.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:56 AM

737 posts, read 1,648,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Aliens as in Extraterrestrial or Aliens as in Illegal, Altho both could fit into the latter due to no proper papers being filled out.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates