Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 03:46 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,465,347 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else feel it only gives some People a false sense of security. Leading them to believe that they can defend themselves more than they actually can. I watched as a professed "Black Belt in Karate" Guy, got all the stuffin kicked out of him Saturday night. And by just a regular kinda guy, with a good left hook. Seems lots of money is spent on Lessons, that may in fact get one into more trouble, than they can get out of. Any thoughts or experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 03:49 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,242,623 times
Lots of places are fake and are in it for the money. People call em Mcdojos

There's no such thing as a martial art that guarantees you to be superior.

It does help though.

Reaction time, strenght, agility, muscles, weight, etc.

Techniques can become second hand.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Lots of places are fake and are in it for the money. People call em Mcdojos

There's no such thing as a martial art that guarantees you to be superior.

It does help though.

Reaction time, strenght, agility, muscles, weight, etc.

Techniques can become second hand.
That's more or less my take on it also. thanks for responding

Old 11-10-2009, 04:03 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Does anyone else feel it only gives some People a false sense of security. Leading them to believe that they can defend themselves more than they actually can. I watched as a professed "Black Belt in Karate" Guy, got all the stuffin kicked out of him Saturday night. And by just a regular kinda guy, with a good left hook. Seems lots of money is spent on Lessons, that may in fact get one into more trouble, than they can get out of. Any thoughts or experiences.
Yes. Karate is over rated, as are Tai Kwon Do, Kung Fu, and many others. They are good conditioning, exercise, etc, but as a stay alive on the street skill, not so much. LMAO,I have seen guys get the snot kicked out of them, who were black belts, worked out all the time etc, bu plain ol' guys who were just plain mad and used their brains. One such guy was in a bar (no surprise) and kept harrassing this gal who was with her boyfriend. Kept asking her to dance, pushing the issue. The guy was one of those gym rats, you know the type, spends a lot of time working out and admiring themselves in the mirror. I'd seen him around, he practiced in a Tai Kwon Do place not to far from the bar we were in. well, the boyfriend had enough when the guy popped off with some crack about a 'real man' and grabbed the gals arm. Up comes the boyfriend (about half this creeps size) scoops up his drink, brings the glass down in a wicked overhand on top of Mr. Muscles head. SMMAAAAK. Glass breaks all over hell, guy goes down like a sack of poop, black belt and all. Boucers drag Mr. Muscles out and toss him in the gutter, bleeding like a stuck pig from a split open scalp. I'm bettin't took some stitchin' to close him back up.. A person who uses their brain, and just has the WILL to fight, is far more dangerous than any black belt, black hackama, whatever. Martial arts are over rated, fun yes, but classical, rigid styalized forms and katas will NOT keep you alive on the street.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:16 PM

I have great respect For "Traditional Martial Arts". My comments were more directed toward the "pay for a rank test every couple of months" type places. The ones that teach that breakin a piece of one inch pine, will make you a defender of Women, and small puppies. And promise a "Black belt" in just a few months.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:50 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
I have great respect For "Traditional Martial Arts". My comments were more directed toward the "pay for a rank test every couple of months" type places. The ones that teach that breakin a piece of one inch pine, will make you a defender of Women, and small puppies. And promise a "Black belt" in just a few months.
Now, if you want to make distinctions twixt schools, there are some good ones, and some pretty pathetic ones. I have seen Karate ,Aikido and Kenjutsu/Kendo taught in 'traditional' manner, by Japanese sensei. Their methods are slightly...different, than what you would see in a standard American 'dojo'. Conditioning is much harsher, much more emphasis is placed on discipline and respect, the honor of the dojo is sacrosinct, this is not you cash and carry type of training. So, yes, there are schools and then there are schools. If one is serious about training, do check out more than one place. Stay away from the palces with pictures of board breaking and rows of tounament tophies.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:53 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,197,137 times
Well Uncle Sam trained me what I know,but had a Black Belt in Tai Kwon Do spar with me put him on his butt three time messed with his Head Big time.

I do enjoy Martial Arts and Weapons but don't flaunt what I know.

hillman

Old 11-10-2009, 08:58 PM

216 posts, read 343,715 times
I know a guy that breaks 4'' solid cement blocks flat handed earned his black belt and it wasn't just handed out for the fee . Most of these guys don't brag and aren't gym nuts .

Old 11-10-2009, 09:42 PM

I hear what you guys are saying. I feel the "Make you a superman in six Months" Schools do all Student of the Martial Arts a disservice. ---Now those cage match guys, are something else again. they don't play, but sure end up with some funny lookin ears. Ouch.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:33 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,970 times
Quote:
Go to a self defense class if you want to protect yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates