Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 04:55 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times

Advertisements

Or do you believe in something else? What do you believe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 05:36 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Nope. I believe that once we die we're worm food.

I mean, I've been told I'm going to hell many, many times (on this board, even) for not believing, but I'm perfectly secure in my beliefs (or lack there of)

Old 11-02-2009, 05:49 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
I believe in an afterlife, but what it is I'm not sure.

Do I believe in a firey pit where people who don't believe in the exact right God? no.

Do I believe in a heaven where I have to stand around, a Eunuch, praising a God with a inferiority complex that needs constant reassurance that he is the best thing since sliced bread? no.

However, I do believe we all go on, in some form or another. Whatever death brings, it will be an awesome adventure.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:57 PM

315 posts, read 776,504 times
I believe that all life is "energy" and that energy does not cease once we die. I do not know what happens specifically, but do believe fully in another sideand a continuation of spirit. I also believe we are subject to karma at some level based on our deeds to others in this life. Is this the cute little heaven and hell portrayed in books and in our imaginations? No, I don't think it is. But in some form, we pay, or are rewarded for our deeds in this life.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:57 PM

25,744 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Doesn't matter what anybody believes in general. It either is or isn't. There is only fact. Now, in my own little universe, belief does matter (assuming I'm correct in my belief). But there is no way to verify whether I or anyone else is correct in their beliefs.... wheeew.

I do 'believe' that creeps will themselves into an existence of chaos and injustice after death, and decent people will themselves into a decent existence after death. So, something along the lines of karma. We construct our own heaven or hell based on our interaction, intentions, thoughts, etc throughout life. So, if one goes to ‘hell,’ it is self-constructed.

I have a sort of bizarre philosophy that our will actually dictates what happens after life, and that you demonstrate your will with your thoughts and actions. So, for instance, an atheist will become just what he/she believes—non-existent. Those who believe in life after death will get exactly what they willed—life after death. Those who were ‘bad’... that’s what they’ll get (assuming belief in afterlife). Those who were ‘good’... that’s what they get (assuming belief in afterlife). Those who were ‘loners’ will get exactly that... an isolated existence. Those who were social... social afterlife. You build your destiny. You model what you want for the afterlife here on this planet with thoughts/actions.

So, I suppose that’s a spin on heaven and hell. But, as I said, it doesn't matter what I believe. I could be wrong and I’m certainly not going to argue that it’s even worth the bandwidth I’ve used to write it.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:57 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
It is completely irrational to believe that of all the living species on this planet, only one possesses a spirit that advances to a supernatural existence after the one in this world.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I am now 62 and i bascailly beleiev that you do not get away with nayhting and are either punished on thsi earth or after death.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:53 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,472 times
Could you repeat that texdav, only I can't understand your post.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:56 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,152,085 times
There's no heaven and hell, because there's no one to experience heaven and hell. Certainly not me. I'm only here and now. Even the person who wakes up in my bed tomorrow won't be me, he'll be a consequence of me.

It's possible that there's a god and he'll create a sentient being with a copy of my memories and he'll subject that being to eternal punishment ... but, first, that won't be me, second, what's the point?

Last edited by esmith143; 11-03-2009 at 02:05 AM..

Old 11-03-2009, 08:22 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
second, what's the point?
Actually, that is a very good question. If God wanted us all to kiss his ass, all he would have to do is make up a story of hell and threaten us with it. He wouldn't need to go to the trouble of actually creating a hell, but just to tell us that hell is hiding under our bed, to scare the crap out of us. People must think God is really stupid.

If there was really a hell, and God really wanted to scare us with his hell stories, he's send somebody back from hell every once in a while, to go on Meet the Press or the Colbert Report and tell about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates