Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-06-2009, 11:54 AM
 
48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Reputation: 18304

Advertisements

I think that christian beleif is simply that you believe in the father;son and the holy ghost. But then you have to realize that every man is a sinner.There also are false prophets and even false christain that do so for the power just as their are crooks in every group in life. There are also those that are drawn to be priest or pastors to get close to children; who are pediphiles. Same with teachers etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-06-2009, 04:48 PM
 
Location: NW Nevada
18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Reputation: 17149
Quote:
Originally Posted by paparaciii View Post
I mean, are you really a christian if you don't practice all the rituals and haven't read much of the Bible?
Are you actually serious? Rituals? You mean like communion, penance, baptism, etc? Lmao, yea, The Big Guy really cares about rituals I'm sure. As to reading scripture, that does not a faithful person make either. Most of the people I associate with, whom I feel comfortable discussing faith with, do read the Bible, but, mainly as a way to search out comfort, or find some correlation to their own lives and such. Though I do profess Faith, I'm not big on scripture and disdain 'rituals'. I find far more comfort by sitting on a windswept mountain top, with my son or one of the dogs, than pouring over a Bible passage or lighting candles on an alter. The way I see it, I see it, if I want to hear God's voice, I don't need to perforn some arcane ritual , or look for a method in scripture , to do so. Some may think that improper, according to what those certain some call 'faith'. So be it. From my way of thinking, it's not other people who will judge me for my faith , in the end. Call me a Christian, a pagan, call me a dirty SOB, or not. I can't care. Faith and what folks choose to profess as Faith is quite personal, and not for anyone to judge as to what to call it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2009, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Reputation: 11084
Sure. All "Christian" takes is a belief in Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2009, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Reputation: 36644
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Sure. All "Christian" takes is a belief in Christ.
I believe in Christ, in the sense that I believe such a person really existed and he was a person of wisdom and positive influence during his lifetime. But I sure as hell ain't no Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2009, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Reputation: 11084
whatever you say...

I'd still characterize you as such, no matter what your actions were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2009, 11:39 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Reputation: 36027
Quote:
Originally Posted by paparaciii View Post
I mean, are you really a christian if you don't practice all the rituals and haven't read much of the Bible?
A Christian is one who has repented (turned) from their sins and accepted Jesus gift of salvation. The Bible is our guidebook to how to live the Christian life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2009, 12:18 AM
 
30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Reputation: 34526
Quote:
Originally Posted by paparaciii View Post
Yeah, but some religion haters say that either you practice religion fully(which is terrifying thing to do because of the evil stuff written in the Bible) or you simply aren't follower of that particular religion. So all those moderate, kind and nice modern people who call themselves Christians actually aren't true followers of this faith because these are incompatible things - you can't be nice and Christian at the same time.
I'm actually searching for some good arguments because I'm having quite a heated discussion here. Please educate me! Haven't read the Bible so I'm not quite competent here.
I've never heard this argument from religion haters. It seems they usually cite the more extreme elements from organized religion to justify their hate. It's been my experience they ignore the more moderate religious folks because they're not as easy to stereotype and demonize. Just my experience. I'm sure others have different experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2009, 12:20 AM
 
30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Reputation: 34526
Quote:
Originally Posted by paparaciii View Post
Ok, but what if I believe in a power greater than myself that doesn't necessary protect me or do "good things" for humanity, and Jesus Christ in my view is just an iconic image and not exactly a savior or real God's son and maybe even not a real person? But I still believe that there is something "out there", it's just that we(people of our planet) simply haven't made out yet what it is and how it afects us(and possibly never will).
AM I STILL A CHRISTIAN?
I'd say no. But then again, I don't understand why you care what anyone thinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2009, 12:26 AM
 
30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Reputation: 34526
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
This is exactly how I feel. I call myself a "liberal Christian", meaning for instance, I am not against gay marriage. Gay marriage might or not be a sin, it's not for me to judge.

It annoys me to no end when someone tells me I'm not a "true Christian", for one reason or another. I've had a couple of Catholic people tell me 1) I wouldn't go to Heaven, I was going to be stuck in purgatory, and 2) Protestantism isn't a true religion....plus I've known some really "hardcore" Christians (I'm sorry, I can't remember what such Christians are technically called, I'm drawing a blank for some reason ) argue with me that I wasn't a true Christian because I didn't follow the bible exactly. Liberal Christians are often not considered true Christians. People of all faiths often thing their religion is the one true religion. I've gotten to the point where I just shrug it off when someone judges another's religion. What makes them the expert? I don't think it's anyone's place to judge other than God.
I come pretty close to your point of view on this one. However, I will say that it is my understanding that a tenet of Christianity is that it's ok to judge something as a sin. But it's not ok to judge the person doing the sin themselves, since we all sin and we don't have enough info to really know how good or bad a person is.

Since I'm gay, I don't think gay marriage is a sin. However, I do think it's ok to judge some behavior as sinful. So while I think it's an extremely bad idea to say someone isn't going to heaven for one kind of behavior, belief, etc....I do think it's ok to believe that certain behavior is sinful, morally wrong, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2009, 04:50 AM
 
3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Reputation: 1861
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
i agree 100% with this post. spirituality and religion are something that should mean something to you. if you accept a religion or spiritual philosophy, it is something that you supposedly have faith in, or respect as a path that you want to model your life after.

too many people use it as simply a title or identifying feature, or as a social club, without understanding or caring about the principles associated with it.
I also agree with that line of thinking and it used to anger me to no end. I would become livid when I would see people make a hodgepodge of other religions because it is a picking and choosing of different religions to create their own.

I think that studying any religion requires a type of discipline that most people do not have. That is ok. It isn't my problem. Providing they keep it out of my life, off the court and public education walls...I don't care.

There are so many interesting discussions to be had in or about religion. We do not have them. Someone somewhere is going to be proving one way or the other. Its like never moving beyond 101.

I did a short trip down to the religion/philosophy forum and I'm done with that. So, if people want to sit around and pick and choose then how is he any different? Stay in 101, move out of 101. It does not matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top