Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 07:51 PM

160 posts, read 342,888 times

Advertisements

I mean, are you really a christian if you don't practice all the rituals and haven't read much of the Bible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 08:05 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paparaciii View Post
I mean, are you really a christian if you don't practice all the rituals and haven't read much of the Bible?
People can call themsevles whatever they want. It isn't for us to judge who the true Christians are/aren't. Leave that to God.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:18 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
A Christian is simply one who believes that Jesus Christ was/is God and believes His teachings. Nobody knows your beliefs better than you.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:20 PM

160 posts, read 342,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
People can call themsevles whatever they want. It isn't for us to judge who the true Christians are/aren't. Leave that to God.
Yeah, but some religion haters say that either you practice religion fully(which is terrifying thing to do because of the evil stuff written in the Bible) or you simply aren't follower of that particular religion. So all those moderate, kind and nice modern people who call themselves Christians actually aren't true followers of this faith because these are incompatible things - you can't be nice and Christian at the same time.
I'm actually searching for some good arguments because I'm having quite a heated discussion here. Please educate me! Haven't read the Bible so I'm not quite competent here.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:32 PM

173 posts, read 609,978 times
Quote:
Yes, It's belief, not knowledge.

Question you have to ask yourself -> Is a christian professor in religion more of a christian than a mechanic that doesn't go to church at sunday? No. Their both christians, even though one put more time into it than the other.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:33 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Yeah, but some religion haters say that either you practice religion fully(which is terrifying thing to do because of the evil stuff written in the Bible) or you simply aren't follower of that particular religion. So all those moderate, kind and nice modern people who call themselves Christians actually aren't true followers of this faith because these are incompatible things - you can't be nice and Christian at the same time.
I'm actually searching for some good arguments because I'm having quite a heated discussion here. Please educate me! Haven't read the Bible so I'm not quite competent here.
I guess my point is that it's a matter of a person's heart and soul. So who really cares what other people think? Intellectualizing spirituality is ok to a point, but itellect alone is a dead end.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:49 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
"You can not petition the Lord with Prayer"--Mr James Morrison

Old 11-23-2009, 10:09 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Milwaukee film-maker Chris Smith coined the interesting phrase "Christian-coated ethical arena". The idea is that any person is fundamentally a Christian, if he feels comfortable with and does not resist the basic ethical principles of the Christian-dominated world that he grew up in. Thus, I am a "Christian" by virtue of having been brought up in an environment where Christian ethics prevail, whether or not I consciously and actively subscribe to the dogma of the Christian church. Just as many people in the Middle East are "Muslim", even though they are essentially agnostic and do not participate in any of the pageantry of Islamic religious practices, and their natural social response reflects Muslim ethics.

While living in a Muslim country, my residence card identified me as a Christian, simply because "no religion" was not a box available to be checked.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-23-2009 at 10:32 PM..

Old 11-23-2009, 10:28 PM

744 posts, read 1,209,866 times
I also wonder can someone call themselves an American if they have not read the Constitution. I feel that Christians who try and push their own beliefs (which are sometimes not supported fully by the Bible) should be the ones required to read the entire Book. If you keep to yourself and practice your own religion then you can call yourself anyhing you want.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:28 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I thought a Christian of any stripe was defined as someone who thinks you will only go to heaven if you accept Jesus as savior. Or something.
I guess the Catholics have, well, added to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates