Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 02:19 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

There is a reason for people to want to have sex. If they didn't where would babies come from and without babies, what would happen to the species? Whether we came from intelligent design or from evolution, we are wired to want sex, above everything else except maybe eating.

Is is no more reasonable to expect a person to use willpower to stop sexual desire than to expect a person to stop his heart beating or stop breathing or stop digesting food.

The good news is that, unlike the heart and lungs and digestive track, we don't have to have sex all the time. But asking a person to refrain from having sex for years or months or even weeks is inconsistent with what our total system is wired to do. And there are consequences to messing with the machine.

In our case, the consequences are social and psychological. And now we see what it is like to live with the social and psychological consequences of messing with the machine. An awful lot of totally messed up people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 02:41 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
Kids raisin Kids will usually lead to more Kids with unwed Mothers. Acorns seldom fall far from the tree.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:10 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I noticed the same thing, as if young men shouldnt be expected to control themselves, just because they are "immature"...pathetic. No one excuses the behavior of young women who accidently become pregnant as being "immature"...hell, they're called whores, sluts, and every other name in the book.

If his statement was any indication of the mentality of young men, then men have a long way to go before they are ready for equality...
It's a very interesting damned if you do, damned if you don't issue emotionally speaking. I dealt with this very same problem when I was a teen/young adult. Basically, if you have sex with a guy you'll be called all kinds of fun names (whores, sluts, easy, etc etc) but if you DON'T have sex with a guy, you're called a *****, a tease and a plethora of other fun names.

Or, they just tell their buddies they had sex with you anyway, so you get called every name in the book by your 'friends' and your buddies 'friends'. Some of these guys grow up, many of them don't.

Luckily for me, my group of friends now treat women with respect and in return, we women treat them with the same amount.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:43 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
I think it would be great if they gave some sort of tax credit for people who think it through and WANT to get sterilized because they don't want any kids running around.
Yes! My hubby and I talked about this all the time.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:23 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It's a very interesting damned if you do, damned if you don't issue emotionally speaking. I dealt with this very same problem when I was a teen/young adult. Basically, if you have sex with a guy you'll be called all kinds of fun names (whores, sluts, easy, etc etc) but if you DON'T have sex with a guy, you're called a *****, a tease and a plethora of other fun names.

Or, they just tell their buddies they had sex with you anyway, so you get called every name in the book by your 'friends' and your buddies 'friends'. Some of these guys grow up, many of them don't.

Luckily for me, my group of friends now treat women with respect and in return, we women treat them with the same amount.
Yeah, I think thats the solution to many of the gender disparities. Just treating each sex with the same amount of respect one would want for themselves goes a long way. That and not sexualizing every scenario that we find ourselves in with the other sex. But things get tricky when people acquire all kinds of resentment towards the opposite sex and carry emotional baggage stemming from their interactions with the opposite sex. This includes the people who say: "well the last girl/guy let me do it, so you must let me do it too"...there is just a lack of respect for the individuality of women (and men in many cases)

Old 11-30-2009, 11:20 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Of course people are hard-wired to have sex. But we have brains to use birth control. Sex isn't the issue, mindless reproduction is. I'm sure we want sex, and reproduction is built in as a side effect. Note how many people who cannot or do not want to reproduce still desire sex.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:27 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Yes! My hubby and I talked about this all the time.
Seems like it would be easier, if the Gal just put in a zipper.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:22 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Of course people are hard-wired to have sex. But we have brains to use birth control. Sex isn't the issue, mindless reproduction is. I'm sure we want sex, and reproduction is built in as a side effect. Note how many people who cannot or do not want to reproduce still desire sex.
My point was that people's brains have not yet advanced to the degree that reason can override instinct. There are things our brains cannot do because the body's mechanism to survive is too powerful. And even if, in some cases, some people can exercise the will power, that is not the same as saying it is reasonable to expect everyone to do so, every time.

It's like saying you can consume all the heroin and cocaine you want, and then "decide" to not get addicted because "we have brains". Or if you want to commit suicide, just "decide" to stop breathing because "we have brains".

Old 12-01-2009, 08:46 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Seems like it would be easier, if the Gal just put in a zipper.
I was agreeing with someone about offering tax credits for those who are childless.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:04 AM

109 posts, read 364,359 times
Yup, agreed but what should be done when guy takes only 10% of responsibility and makes only useless excuses about why he can't be responsible? There is NO valid excuses to be irresponsible.....If he would walk away from his son, he'd be doing LESS harm than by doing so little!!!! Bring back the 50's where single moms got left alone to raise their kids AND even get remarried.....

Oh, that's right. He's like ALL the other Americans guys who take time to party but don't take responsibility...Is there any wonder why America is no longer the best place on earth with actions like that!!!! That kind of thinking about kids is why so many other countries have an advantage over US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates