Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 05:15 PM

302 posts, read 885,515 times

Advertisements

I think any woman that applies for welfare must get an IUD implanted. If you are on welfare, you should not have more children. You're too dumb to remember to use a condom or take a pill? Get something stuffed up there (that is still reversible, if you can pull yourself together), and it can only be removed once you have been off welfare for one year.

No muss, no fuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 11:11 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreams View Post
I think any woman that applies for welfare must get an IUD implanted. If you are on welfare, you should not have more children. You're too dumb to remember to use a condom or take a pill? Get something stuffed up there (that is still reversible, if you can pull yourself together), and it can only be removed once you have been off welfare for one year.

No muss, no fuss.

Of course, because the only people who get pregnant without planning to are "dumb." And NO ONE has ever gotten pregnant on the pill, right? Right.

BTW, IUD's are basically implanted abortions and, believe it or not, some people of conscience do not want to use them. Go fig, stupid, poor people who might actually respect life and make conscious choices.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:31 PM

191 posts, read 120,178 times
Sorry Annie3, but Andreams has a point. Most (remember I said most, not all) women on the welfare system are not as smart, respectable of life, or make very conscious choices to begin with. I understand that the welfare system is to help and it does just that help. Which means assist. Assistance in the very nature of it's definition is not permanent. So the IUD may not be there only choice. Make them get on any birth control and make sure they take it. Because of they get pregnant again and it is proven to have been intentional, then the system shouldn't help them. I myself have one child. And it, pardon the language, fries my A$$ that other women get to enjoy the miracle of having multiple children on my dime. And I cannot even afford having a 2nd with my husband. So I want to agree with Andreams and the OP. Line 'em up and get them snipped!

Old 12-01-2009, 11:50 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,366 times
I was a single mom at 19 and NEVER went on welfare! I only had a high school education but I was able to land a descent paying job, live in a reasonable area that was safe and go to college. I have since remarried and obviously, financially, life has been easier, but something has to be done to those who go on government assistance. I do not feel obligated to help anyone that is not willing to help themself and for those women who go on public assistance, it should be a give and take situation. We give you financial support, but you take the pill or insert the IUD! I'm sorry, but don't ask for help if you're not willing to give a little as well! An IUD is NOT permanent and it's the least a woman could do that is asking for my tax payer dollars!!!

Old 12-02-2009, 07:56 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
Of course, because the only people who get pregnant without planning to are "dumb." And NO ONE has ever gotten pregnant on the pill, right? Right.

BTW, IUD's are basically implanted abortions and, believe it or not, some people of conscience do not want to use them. Go fig, stupid, poor people who might actually respect life and make conscious choices.
Wow, way to show you're anti-birth control!

Old 12-02-2009, 08:12 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
I do not feel obligated to help anyone that is not willing to help themself and for those women who go on public assistance, it should be a give and take situation. We give you financial support, but you take the pill or insert the IUD! I'm sorry, but don't ask for help if you're not willing to give a little as well! An IUD is NOT permanent and it's the least a woman could do that is asking for my tax payer dollars!!!
I agree. I would think a woman or man would be happy to get free birth control on assistance or not.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:24 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Wow, way to show you're anti-birth control!
I am hardly anti- birth control. I am pro birth control that is safe, 100% effective, cheap, easily available, with no side effects and does not cause abortion as a form of reproductive control. Unfortunately it does not exist yet - even sterilization has side effects and some risks.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:37 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
I rember seeing this Birth control item--it was big piece of foam rubber, the size of a coffee cup. --the Women just had to hold it between her knees, to prevent pregnancy.---looked like a good idea to me.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:05 PM

109 posts, read 364,359 times
You know the problem here is that while some of us see kids that need to be loved, cared for, etc in reasonable manners, the majority of you responding are mentioning only sex. Mostly ignoring the fact that sex takes two but maintain that only the woman should bear the burden of a unwanted child. Sounds like Christian guilt complex or just limited conditioning. I just wanted some of you take your minds above and beyond sex to find a solution and not continue with the blame game.

Doesn't solve the issues of what to do to reduce the current welfare rolls. That was the goal of my post. What to do to reduce the number of kids born with estranged parents and therefore into lower incomes? Slipper slope is income. Once you start the descent into lower economic brackets there IS no help getting back out of it.

The welfare rolls will always get bigger because of the media openness towards sex but no definitions of what makes a good relationship. If parents didn't have a good relationship, the girls have no examples to draw from. All those past decades of divorce tolerance rears it's ugly head in society. Girls are also having babies at a younger age because 1. can't afford abortion or get parents to sign. 2. not encouraged to give them up for adoption because of the notion that they (and therefore) the kids must suffer. (sin based thinking). If girls are not finishing high school, her kids are not likely to finish high school either. Continuing the welfare dependency for generations and generations forward.

Birth control is NOT free for singles WITHOUT kids. Singles with no kids also can't get welfare. So singles AT RISK of getting pregnant would be missed in one of the responses. Getting pregnant while on birth control IS a reality. It has nothing to do with intelligence, income, college major, life goals or morals, or any other judgment based thinking.....Some obstacles to getting birth control besides $ is transportation. Doctors have offices and for very rural or very urban women (at most risk for poverty and poor education) that can be impossible to get to on a regular basis even if one is within 25 miles. Imagine for a minute, if you had to go 50 miles to get birth control and had no car. If there were no buses to the location for FREE birth control and you had no car. I advocate mobile birth control clinics that should be available FREE of charge to rich, poor, young, old, etc...ALL women should be able to make responsible reproductive choices and also be made aware that NO birth control is 100% and learn what makes a HEALTHY relationship before becoming sexually active. Seems like that would be a more effective use of government funds than a monthly check to moms who may not be taking care of their children.

I'll stick with my original concept for the debate for public policy course....

Yes, I said it already that people should have to get a permit to have kids. It would prevent child abuse and even make ALL parents more grateful for their kids and therefore much fewer abuse is possible. But child abuse is another issue altogether. I volunteered as a CASA until I couldn't stand to hear anymore about what some parents think is "okay" to do their child.

Thanks for helping me prepare for my graded debate, folks...It's going to be fun!!!!

And B, yes I know you are reading. Of course you would disregard my warnings. He convinced you I am just jealous. He did the same to me, and I failed to hear the warnings before I got pregnant....I'm just grateful that my "sentence" is almost over. Just over five years before I hope to NEVER hear from either of you too again and D can finally keep their nose out of my business forever and always!!!!! It's going to be great. :-)

Last edited by leavingGA; 12-02-2009 at 07:40 PM..

Old 12-02-2009, 07:44 PM

109 posts, read 364,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
I rember seeing this Birth control item--it was big piece of foam rubber, the size of a coffee cup. --the Women just had to hold it between her knees, to prevent pregnancy.---looked like a good idea to me.
Doesn't work because once a month, something has to come out from there if the woman is not past child bearing age.

There is also nothing to keep the guy from finding a way to take it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates