Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 02:55 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
To be fair, cactus will give you terrible diarrhea if you don't sautee it before you eat it. Also, edibility is subjective. Cow dung is edible in the strictest sense. Prickly pear can be quite tasty if it is harvested in the afternoon or early evening (it is way too acidic if harvested in the morning- needs a good sun exposure to eliminate the Krebs cycle acids) but it isn't the most nutritious fare and requires a lot of work to keep from injuring yourself while you eat it.
Eh, I've only seen it in jars...still, most people don't live in the desert, and can eat plants.

For example, Florida and citrus, Washington and apples, Michigan and cherries... and that's just the fruits.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:19 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Eh, I've only seen it in jars...still, most people don't live in the desert, and can eat plants.

For example, Florida and citrus, Washington and apples, Michigan and cherries... and that's just the fruits.

Michigan cherries can be picked and eaten only about 6 weeks out of the year, and every cherry tree is privately owned and on private property, so if you eat them without paying for them, that is trespassing and theft. Unless you live in northwest lower, you'll have to walk a couple of hundred miles to find any. Also, in Michigan, you can get all the deer you want alongside the roads. Statewide, an average of 5 deer are killed by cars every day in each county, so it's fresher than you think. No guns required.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:48 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Michigan cherries can be picked and eaten only about 6 weeks out of the year, and every cherry tree is privately owned and on private property, so if you eat them without paying for them, that is trespassing and theft. Unless you live in northwest lower, you'll have to walk a couple of hundred miles to find any. Also, in Michigan, you can get all the deer you want alongside the roads. Statewide, an average of 5 deer are killed by cars every day in each county, so it's fresher than you think. No guns required.
But I'd bet it is against the law to pick them up... They're game animals and you are only allowed to have them if you shot them in season and they are tagged.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/faq/hunt...uestions.phtml

Q1: A deer has been hit on the highway, what do I do?
A1: If the deer is just injured call your local game warden dispatcher. If you are absolutely sure the deer is dead, you may move it off the roadway and leave it there. Texas Department of Transportation will remove the dead animal. It is illegal to tag the deer (or any game animal for that matter) and take it with you.

I know this is Texas hunting law but most states are the same or close to being the same..

Last edited by Houston3; 12-14-2009 at 04:01 PM..

Old 12-14-2009, 04:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Under Michigan law, any person may request a tag from any law enforcement officer to take a roadkill deer. The driver of the car that hits the deer has priority, and if he doesn't, then anyone else may claim it. There is enough roadkilled deer in Michigan for every resident of the state to get a pound of venison every year.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:36 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Under Michigan law, any person may request a tag from any law enforcement officer to take a roadkill deer. The driver of the car that hits the deer has priority, and if he doesn't, then anyone else may claim it. There is enough roadkilled deer in Michigan for every resident of the state to get a pound of venison every year.

Same here in CT. I'm actually on a list the animal control guy for the city has to call if they find a decent one. I dont get many though as I'm not high on the list. The authorities often ruin them too if theyre not dead. Last time I went out the idiot shot the deer thru the shoulders from 5 feet away with a 12 gage. The hind quaters were pulped by a car so I let him keep it.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:37 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:

You do realize that fruits & vegies are only there a few weeks a year right?

Old 12-14-2009, 04:40 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
You do realize that there are different growing seasons, right? There are winter plants and summer plants?

Old 12-14-2009, 06:08 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,986,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Paranoia is certainly not always irrational.
Uhm ...yes it is. Irrational behavior is a characterisic of paranoia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Perhaps you can explain how useing a tool safely as it was intended is mindless idiocy? Are all people who carry guns idiots?
I didn't say that it was or wasn't. I merely threw your comment back at you inquiring as to its reverse application. Are we a bit touchy about our toy guns?

But seeing as you mentioned it there is something rather childish about grown men (or women) having a strong identity with their firearms.
And why would anyone ever find the need to carry a gun with them everywhere and on a daily basis?

Old 12-14-2009, 07:02 PM

898 posts, read 1,401,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
Uhm ...yes it is. Irrational behavior is a characterisic of paranoia.

I didn't say that it was or wasn't. I merely threw your comment back at you inquiring as to its reverse application. Are we a bit touchy about our toy guns?

But seeing as you mentioned it there is something rather childish about grown men (or women) having a strong identity with their firearms.
And why would anyone ever find the need to carry a gun with them everywhere and on a daily basis?
Same reason I keep a fire extinguisher, water, a blanket, a jack, and a spare tire in my truck. It is always better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:26 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Quote:
You do realize that there are different growing seasons, right? There are winter plants and summer plants?
Perhaps you might enlighten us about some good edible, nutritious plants growing in abundance during the winter up in Maine where Melinux lives.

Last edited by ogre; 12-14-2009 at 08:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates