Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:11 AM

898 posts, read 1,401,982 times

Advertisements

It seems to be the case. Cities are almost always where the Liberal populations reside, while more rural areas seem to be home to the Right Wing.

Do you think that an individual's political preferences also play a part in that person's residential preferences?

In the country, you have more individual liberty. I can shoot off my guns in the yard til the cows come home and nobody can tell me otherwise. Free of zoning restrictions, your property is truly yours to do as you please, so long as you pay the property taxes, which tend to be a lot lower than in cities.

This is why I like living in the country, because I can do what I want and there's nobody to tell me I can't. To me, this seems to suit a conservative political ideology as well.

Somebody want to chime in about city dwelling as well and maybe why a Liberal would prefer living in a city as opposed to the country. What about people who are the opposite of my hypothesis? Any conservatives here who actually prefer city life or liberals who prefer rural living?

Old 12-17-2009, 09:19 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
It is the psychology of the pecking order. The more people you put in a place the worse the behavior and conservatives like to live in a civil manner.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:23 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Somebody want to chime in about city dwelling as well and maybe why a Liberal would prefer living in a city as opposed to the country. What about people who are the opposite of my hypothesis? Any conservatives here who actually prefer city life or liberals who prefer rural living?
Cities are centers of culture and education. Living in one exposes one to many different cultures and ways of thinking. You also have the chance to experience working mass transit, social/societal commons-type programs (including things like city parks, museums, art galleries; not just welfare-type civics).

I believe that living in the city changes your politics, and not the other way around. I know many people who converted from being countryside conservatives to city-dwelling liberals only AFTER they moved to a big city, went to a large university, or made some similar geographical change.

I wonder if any city liberals move to the countryside and switch to conservatism?

Old 12-17-2009, 09:24 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Think about cause and effect. Your question should be:

"Why does urban life foster liberalism, and rural life foster conservatism?"

Answer: Because people in the city are more likely to observe and be disgusted by the inhumanity and immorality of a me-first screw-you conservative ethic, or to be victims of it.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:25 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Personally, I think that conservatives tend to lean more libertarian - which is basically a desire to be left alone to do our thing. Then, of necessity, the more people there are in a small geographic area, the more laws and ordinances there will be just to get people to be at peace with each other.

I'm glad that, though I live in the middle of a city, my house sits on a full acre and it is very private.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:30 AM

898 posts, read 1,401,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

But how do we know that that is the cause? Are an individual's politics truly shaped by where he lives, or is he more likely to choose to live in one place or another based on his politics? Perhaps for the majority, politics does not even enter the equation.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:34 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
But how do we know that that is the cause? Are an individual's politics truly shaped by where he lives, or is he more likely to choose to live in one place or another based on his politics? Perhaps for the majority, politics does not even enter the equation.
Most people do not choose their place to live based on criteria related to this premise. They live where they live, and their views are colored by their life experiences at that place.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:37 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Answer: Because people in the city are more likely to observe and be disgusted by the inhumanity and immorality of a me-first screw-you conservative ethic, or to be victims of it.
That's ridiculous. People in the city are more apt to participate in it!

It's farmers that will go help their neighbor harvest his crops, while their urban counterparts are breaking into their neighbor's garages and stealing tools. Or worse.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:41 AM

484 posts, read 1,216,730 times
Quote:
This is why I like living in the country, because I can do what I want and there's nobody to tell me I can't. To me, this seems to suit a conservative political ideology as well.
I think you answered your own question with this line. That mentality - "I'm going to do what I please and no one is going to tell me otherwise" - doesn't lend itself to congenial relationships with people in close proximity.

IMHO, this doesn't have much to do with liberal/conservative political ideologies; it has everything to do with respecting others. A true conservative can, and many do, live just fine in the largest of our cities because a basic tenet of conservatism is that everyone should be free to do as they please as long as it doesn't intrude upon the rights of others.

The OP's "shooting my gun till the cows come home" would definitely intrude upon my right to quietly use and enjoy my property in the city if done next door to me regardless of which way either of us votes.

Last edited by enigmaingr; 12-17-2009 at 09:54 AM..

Old 12-17-2009, 09:53 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
Default Ahhh Altruism. A dream for a few of us.

Perhaps rural conservatives become proud of their perceived individuality. In my opinion, as an ex-Republican, I find their political reliance on self-control and good behavior to be a childish fantasy. Unfortunately, that's not how the basically greedy human animal behaves if left to his own devices or decisions! Of course out in the Montana countryside, it's harder for others to see his infractions.

BTW, those rural Montanans (and I love the place, BTW) have forever changed the ecology, for the worse, with their roving herds of out-of-place herbivores, raised for what again? Oh yeah; profit uber all else.

Now, I clearly see the need for a knowledgeable governing body imposed on many aspects of human activity. Else, the profit-oriented hog farmer will allow his growing business to swamp the local stream with contaminant, but "Hey!" he says, "It's my ranch! Git offa it, or else I'll shoot yah!".

So much for thoughtful altruism, huh?

I guess I'm a sort of libertarian-social conservative hybrid. And gun owner, BTW [actually, in my retirement, I'm a gunsmith!] Hey; hybrids are in the news these days as the answer to everything, right? That'll be me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates