Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 10:50 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,063 times

Advertisements

I think reverse discrimination is a bunch of crap.

According to Dictionary.com, there are three definitions for the term reverse discrimination:

–noun the unfair treatment of members of majority groups resulting from preferential policies, as in college admissions or employment, intended to remedy earlier discrimination against minorities.

n. Discrimination against members of a dominant or majority group, especially when resulting from policies established to correct discrimination against members of a minority or disadvantaged group.

Function: noun
: discrimination against whites or males (as in employment or education)

Just because minorities and women were discriminated against in the past, that doesn't mean that whites and males, specifically white males, should be discriminated against as payback, if you will. Whites and males today aren't responsible for the injustices that were put upon minorities and women by whites and males of the past. Today, whites are more tolerant to other races, and men are more kind to women.

However, I don't like some of the double standards that have arose against whites and males. For example, there's a belief that whites (and only whites) can be racist, and that racism cannot occur against whites. Sorry, but that's not true. Racism can occur against whites too. If a company refuses to hire a white man simply because of his race, that's racism and discrimination. If two black men gang up on a white man and beat him up because of his color, that's both racism and a hate crime, yet hate crimes against whites are seldom shown on television. What's up with that? Whites are human too, and they should be treated as such.

There have been double standards involving gender as well. For example, it's socially acceptable for a woman to physically strike a man, yet if a man did such an action to a woman, that man could pretty much get arrested. Sorry people, but if some crazy chick was trying to physically harm me, I would defend myself. I'm not going to stand there and let some girl going ape**** inflict bodily harm on me while thinking that I cannot defend myself simply because the attacker happens to be female.

Discrimination is discrimination, no matter who the perpetrator or the target (that includes whites and males).

Do you agree?

I wish so many people weren't brainwashed into believing in those double standards. It's rather sad in my opinion.

Note to mods: Sorry if this is the incorrect forum. If possible, please move the thread to its rightful forum. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 10:54 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Discrimination is discrimination. Period.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:15 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I agree, all discrimination is the same thing, but I know what the OP is getting at here.

I lived in Atlanta, GA (70 percent black) for five years and I know that my career was hindered for being the wrong color. I also put up with racial verbal abuse from black coworkers -words and slurs that would have gotten me fired had I said the equivalent.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:08 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,121 times
yes discrimination is discrimination. Racism is Racism etc...
Without trying to turn this into a political debate since this is not the P and C board, but the reason these double standards apply at least in a social standpoint is because of politics. American society has tried to make everything so politically correct that it has put permenant labels, on everything and everyone. These labels say that those that were victims in the past are still victims today and will be victims tomorrow. If we as a society would get rid of the labels and accept everyone on level playing field, where all would be judged by their own merits, then the terms revers _____ would no longer hold any merit or weight.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:23 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
I think reverse discrimination is a bunch of crap.
I, too, believe reverse discrimination is a bunch of crap. In other words, I believe it is far less widespread than many people want to believe. People who complain about it seem to want to try to start yet another culture of victimhood like the very ones they complain about.

Around the world, and especially in America, it is very good to be straight, white, male, and Christian. Everywhere I go, I see evidence of this. SWMC's are still at the tippy-tip-top of the social pecking order, and that seems unlikely to change despite the effects of efforts at equalizing the playing field like affirmative action or women's lib.

Quote:
Just because minorities and women were discriminated against in the past, that doesn't mean that whites and males, specifically white males, should be discriminated against as payback, if you will. Whites and males today aren't responsible for the injustices that were put upon minorities and women by whites and males of the past. Today, whites are more tolerant to other races, and men are more kind to women.
More, but not totally. Many of my peers, friends, and bosses believe that SWMC's are superior to women, gays, and/or people of color. Especially in some high-tech industries, the dominance of the "good ol' boy's" club is quite evident in hiring/firing structure, pay scales, and social interactions.

It's true that SWMC's shouldn't be discriminated against, but in my experience, this still happens FAR less than discrimination against women and/or people of color. I have personally witnessed far more discrimination against non SWMC's (several times per year at least) than against SWMC's (maybe once every 2 years). Yes, I hear more about it on the news and internet message boards, but these are places dominated by SWMC's. I think personal experience is more reliable.

Quote:
However, I don't like some of the double standards that have arose against whites and males. For example, there's a belief that whites (and only whites) can be racist, and that racism cannot occur against whites. Sorry, but that's not true. Racism can occur against whites too. If a company refuses to hire a white man simply because of his race, that's racism and discrimination. If two black men gang up on a white man and beat him up because of his color, that's both racism and a hate crime, yet hate crimes against whites are seldom shown on television. What's up with that? Whites are human too, and they should be treated as such.
It's seldom shown on television because it seldom happens, IMO. I agree that these things are wrong, but I think that they are also rare.

Quote:
There have been double standards involving gender as well. For example, it's socially acceptable for a woman to physically strike a man, yet if a man did such an action to a woman, that man could pretty much get arrested. Sorry people, but if some crazy chick was trying to physically harm me, I would defend myself. I'm not going to stand there and let some girl going ape**** inflict bodily harm on me while thinking that I cannot defend myself simply because the attacker happens to be female.
A women will go to jail if she assaults a man. In domestic disturbance calls I have witnessed, police have been careful to ask BOTH the man and woman involved if they are okay and if they need help or want to press charges.

I agree that discrimination is discrimination, but I also believe that reverse discrimination happens far less than many people are led to believe and discrimination against non-SWMC's is still a major issue.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:36 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,684,206 times
I think that the term originated for a reason. For an affluent white to say that he/she is discriminated against is confusing to a lot of people b/c they associate discrimination with minorities. Hence, the term "reverse discrimination," although the OP is right--reverse discrimination really is just discrimination.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:24 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
City Data Guy, I agree with you completely. Discrimination is discrimination, whichever direction it happens to be aimed. Of course, "reverse discrimination" happens to be a very convenient term for individuals with a particular agenda...which is why we probably won't hear the end of it any time soon.

Old 12-25-2009, 05:47 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post

There should be no women's sports leagues?
All restrooms co-ed?
No Handicapped Parking spaces?
No Senior Discounts?

Old 12-25-2009, 08:51 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
There should be no women's sports leagues?
All restrooms co-ed?
No Handicapped Parking spaces?
No Senior Discounts?
Ummm... What?

Old 12-26-2009, 12:10 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
I agree, all discrimination is the same thing, but I know what the OP is getting at here.

I lived in Atlanta, GA (70 percent black) for five years and I know that my career was hindered for being the wrong color. I also put up with racial verbal abuse from black coworkers -words and slurs that would have gotten me fired had I said the equivalent.
Yes indeed. I ,also, fail to see the sense in making these stupid distinctions in what defines 'discrimination', 'racism' etc. It is ALL the SAME thing. I , for one, am sick to death, of certain groups justifying their own brands of hatred and discrimination by twisting words to suit their own ends, and telling themselves their brand of injustice is acceptable because of what transpired in the past. Yea, they are going to mete out 'justice' for the wrongs done by people who are long dead. There is a distinction twixt 'justice' and vengeance, and drawing a distinction between what defines 'discrimination' or 'racism', utilizing plays on words, does not change those words true definition in the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates